Ruger LCP II Dangerous?

DesertRanger

I have read a lot on both sides about the LCP II being essentially cocked and ready to fire whenever a round is in the chamber, but no safety. The LCP II is my favorite -and only- pocket carry, and I have zero complaints. It’s accurate enough, easy to handle and a dot of bright red on the front sight and I’m good. I have read many articles saying that it’s unsafe to carry. I carried a Sig P220 with decocker and no safety on duty for many years, so I don’t mind the lack of safety, but I’ve always had a decocker so that the first shot is DA. I’ve considered the LCP Max because it is supposed to be a DAO pistol, but I don’t know if the safety issue on LCP II is a real concern or not. I’d like to read other opinions if anyone has thoughts on this.

If you have a decent holster, leather or kydex, which covers the trigger it is safe, imo.

But note the "decent holster" bit.  Throw it your pocket without a holster and all bets are off.  But that would be true for pretty much any semi-auto I can think of. 

I have my LCP ii in a iwb kydex holster and years later am still free of errant holes in my legs or crotch area.  It is my second choice carry next to a S&W snubbie 38 (custom leather owb holster or iwb kydex).  Third is a Hellcat (DeSantis owb leather).  These are all high quality holsters  While I have used the soft sided "sticky" type holsters they are only passable but not as good as a kydex or stiff leather holster, imo.

Again, if it is in a good holster, you should be gtg.

For those who may be hearing impaired,  "IF IT IS IN A GOOD HOLSTER..."

Edited by JustEd
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, JustEd said:

If you have a decent holster, leather or kydex, which covers the trigger it is safe, imo.

But note the "decent holster" bit.  Throw it your pocket without a holster and all bets are off.  But that would be true for pretty much any semi-auto I can think of. 

I have my LCP ii in a iwb kydex holster and years latger am still free of errant holes in my legs or crotch area.  It is my second choice carry next to a S&W snubbie 38 (custom leather owb holster or iwb kydex).  Third is a Hellcat (DeSantis owb leather).  These are all high quality holsters  While I have used the soft sided "sticky" type holsters they are only passable but not as good as a kydex or stiff leather holster, imo.

Again, if it is in a good holster, you should be gtg.

For those who may be hearing impaired,  "IF IT IS IN A GOOD HOLSTER..."

Or simply refrain from pulling the trigger until such time you would like the firearm to fire.

Right, point is when carried un-holstered in a pocket it is free to slosh around with the trigger unprotected from being accidentally pulled by the user or some other object.

Ruger provides a basic soft sleeve which they recommend using.  I recommend something sturdier.

Edit:  The op mentioned the LCP ii. That is not a DAO pistol. It has a trigger similar to a Glock. The original LCP had a heavy DAO trigger. If you feel safe with a Glock you should feel safe with the LCP ii trigger. 

Edited by JustEd
Added info
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, gregintenn said:

No less safe than a double action revolver that is loaded and uncocked. Don’t pull the trigger and it cannot fire.

The LCP II is more akin to a revolver that IS cocked. It’s a hammer fired gun with a precocked hammer.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, 62caster said:

The LCP II is more akin to a revolver that IS cocked. It’s a hammer fired gun with a precocked hammer.

After reading your comment above, I just had to go see for myself if that was the case, with my LCP Max and my Taurus Tracker.  I can assure you that the Taurus Tracker single action trigger pull is MUCH, MUCH lighter than the LCP Max Trigger. The trigger pull on for the LCP Max is advertised to be about 6 lbs 7 ounces. As long as you carry one in a holster that covers the trigger, which I do for every pistol I own, I see no issue with carrying the LCP Max or the LCP II. 

Now if one has a problem carrying a pistol without a safety, like the LCP Max, then I would espouse that one should not carry that pistol. As for me, I will continue to carry my Max in a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket holster or on my hip, when I determine that is the best pistol to carry for the circumstances.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, chances R said:

For me the original LCP is close to perfect as a pocket pistol....with the Nemesis holster.  At times I will use a Versa Carry device for waistband carry....no pockets, or pocket too small.  Can't speak to the other models.

I could not agree more with this statement.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, chances R said:

For me the original LCP is close to perfect as a pocket pistol....with the Nemesis holster.  At times I will use a Versa Carry device for waistband carry....no pockets, or pocket too small.  Can't speak to the other models.

Had one since it's initial release. Saw it. Liked it. Added a frame mounted laser to it. Never had an issue with it. Have used most brands 380 with it, but I prefer some of the hotter European rounds with mine. The Priv Partisan is great in it. Yes, a bit of a snap and a bark...but it works for me. Pocket or belt slide. Though I love a little no name slider I got years ago. It just drops in and has a very snug fit. Leaves only enough of the grip exposed to grab it without too much trouble. However, the little slide had begun to stretch out where the belt feeds thru. I may have to soon start looking again for another.

Edited by hipower

I have an old school LCP, the "Custom" model with the taller sights and the red anodized trigger and also the LCP Max. I love the idea of the Max, wish it had the DA trigger of the original. I carry both in pocket holsters, an old suede one for the LCP, a fairly new Sticky holster for the Max. I feel the Sticky holster seems to be stiff enough that you are not going to be pushing on the side of it and tripping the trigger in your pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, Moped said:

After reading your comment above, I just had to go see for myself if that was the case, with my LCP Max and my Taurus Tracker.  I can assure you that the Taurus Tracker single action trigger pull is MUCH, MUCH lighter than the LCP Max Trigger. The trigger pull on for the LCP Max is advertised to be about 6 lbs 7 ounces. As long as you carry one in a holster that covers the trigger, which I do for every pistol I own, I see no issue with carrying the LCP Max or the LCP II. 

Now if one has a problem carrying a pistol without a safety, like the LCP Max, then I would espouse that one should not carry that pistol. As for me, I will continue to carry my Max in a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket holster or on my hip, when I determine that is the best pistol to carry for the circumstances.

Not saying somebody shouldn’t carry it without a safety. But I personally don’t feel super comfortable. My LCP 1 feels infinitely safer to carry in a pocket.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the input from everyone. The issue for me is not having a safety vs not having a safety, but double action versus single action. My other carry is a P365, so I’m carrying that pistol in single action mode as well. I’ll keep my LCP II for the time being.  I carry in a leather pocket holster that I made, and it is sufficient to protect the trigger. I might have been looking for an excuse to buy the LCP Max- I am susceptible to firearms manufacturer marketing, especially when they increase round capacity. Or make a stainless model. Or improve the sights or grips. Or when I’m bored. Or when my wife says “Don’t you have enough guns?”. 
“No, I don’t- I’m going out for a bit-I’ll be back later”.

C11FE4A3-EB49-4FD5-B774-CE3B5F5349A9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I purchased the LCP Max a few months back. Carrying the pistol in a Nemesis pocket holster, strong side. Have 450 rounds of practice and S D ammo through it with no failures. Really like it but will not carry the pistol without the trigger covered in a holster. Using Hornady Critical Duty 147 Gr HP +P ammo. Accurate and hard hitting. Really dings steel targets much harder than practice ammo.  Hardest hitting 9 MM ammo I have ever used.

I have had no safety issues with the Max 9 at all. Carry it often.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I purchased the LCP Max a few months back. Carrying the pistol in a Nemesis pocket holster, strong side. Have 450 rounds of practice and S D ammo through it with no failures. Really like it but will not carry the pistol without the trigger covered in a holster. Using Hornady Critical Duty 147 Gr HP +P ammo. Accurate and hard hitting. Really dings steel targets much harder than practice ammo.  Hardest hitting 9 MM ammo I have ever used.

I have had no safety issues with the Max 9 at all. Carry it often.  

Is the LCP Max also available in 9mm?  I didn’t know that. Wait, I see you’re talking about the Max 9, not the LCP Max.

Edited by Defender
On 1/3/2023 at 9:32 AM, DesertRanger said:

I appreciate the input from everyone. The issue for me is not having a safety vs not having a safety, but double action versus single action. My other carry is a P365, so I’m carrying that pistol in single action mode as well. I’ll keep my LCP II for the time being.  I carry in a leather pocket holster that I made, and it is sufficient to protect the trigger. I might have been looking for an excuse to buy the LCP Max- I am susceptible to firearms manufacturer marketing, especially when they increase round capacity. Or make a stainless model. Or improve the sights or grips. Or when I’m bored. Or when my wife says “Don’t you have enough guns?”. 
“No, I don’t- I’m going out for a bit-I’ll be back later”.

C11FE4A3-EB49-4FD5-B774-CE3B5F5349A9.jpeg

I love my LCP ii. Have a iwb kydex holster and a couple of Sticky holsters for it. You did a great job on that leather pocket holster  You are very talented with crafting leather  

You hit it. I too am a sucker for reviewers enthusiasm for new guns (variations). Have had a few disappointments by blindly trusting what the reviews said  

Am of the belief now that if a carry system works for me to stay with it. 

Thus I save enough money to practice more. No small thing with the price of 380 ammo. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JustEd said:

I love my LCP ii. Have a iwb kydex holster and a couple of Sticky holsters for it. You did a great job on that leather pocket holster  You are very talented with crafting leather  

You hit it. I too am a sucker for reviewers enthusiasm for new guns (variations). Have had a few disappointments by blindly trusting what the reviews said  

Am of the belief now that if a carry system works for me to stay with it. 

Thus I save enough money to practice more. No small thing with the price of 380 ammo. 

Fortunately, .380 seems to be available again and also seems to be coming down in price. Hopefully that trend will continue!