Any Mosin Gunsmiths Out There?

I’ve got one of those Finnish M39’s that Century turned into so called “M39 Snipers” by adding a PU Scope / mount back in the day.  It’s a fantastic shooter and while it’s historically incorrect I sure don’t mind shooting it scoped.  Since day one it has had problems feeding and ejecting. 

#1  I’ve noticed, almost reliably, when it comes to the third round in a full magazine round #3 will NOT feed.  The bolt just bangs the rear and I cannot for the life of me see what the problem is.  Even if I push the round down and around it will not feed.  After I drop the floor plate and reload and all is fine with those three rounds.  If I fill wi 5 rds, #3 always seems to lock up.

#2 The other issue is it barely/rarely ejects unless I pull the bolt back very fast and even then it sorta drops out of the receiver.  Just pulls the spent casing outta the chamber and leaves it in the receiver.

I’ve swapped bolts with other Mosins and no change.  I gave it to a well know 1911 gunsmith in town and he resolved it temporarily.  He didn’t change any parts, rather, just sorta messed with it.  Never got a clear answer what he did.  The first trip to the range a month ago all was well.  Yesterday it was back to the old probs described above (and even worse).  I have two other actual PU Snipers and the actions are like butter. 

I know these aren’t very complicated rifles but I don’t want to trial and error anything myself.  I’d like to just send this thing out.  Can anyone recommend an actual brick n Mortar gunsmith that knows Mosins ?  In middle TN would be great.

• Like 1

Finding good gunsmiths is akin to finding unicorns.  (Not that I really look for unicorns.....)

I have had good success with Jeff Walle who is the gunsmith for Guns and Leather in Greenbriar, TN.  It is just up the road from you in Robertson County.

Jeff has been Smithing since 1976 and just today I picked up a 90 year old Winchester Model 52 target rifle that he had done some site work on for me.  He is great on bolt action rifles and loves the old stuff.  If he cannot do it, he will tell you, straight up.  Jeff can be reached at 615-643-4865.  He works every day except Wed and Sunday.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

Take a close look at the scope mount and screws. Make sure none of the screws are a little proud on the inside of the receiver. IIRC, the screw holes on the PU mount line up with the ejector channel. Even if the screws are proper length, a little burr from D&T could interfere with ejector or ejector spring. If you were closer, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. I've worked on many Mosins over the years and built several custom Mausers.

• Like 2

After a bit of chit chat on another forum I discovered it to be rimlock as a result of Interrupter/ejector issues.    Problem discovered but not solved. Clearly you can see the geometry difference in the interrupters here. The M39 (lower) is the bowed one with tab a bit bent and not protruding into the receiver . The PU Sniper (upper) is the not bowed, rather straight, and the tab looking in alignment while protruding into the receiver. I guess this is what the other smith was bending and tweaking. Not sure if I would be able to bend and torque back into what should be a proper shape. Can these be purchased?

The ejector part seems identical with both. No cosmo or debris mucking up the motion of either. They both feel about the same when pressing on them and appear to be in identical placement.

4f7QCZB.jpg

Edited by GS455
2 hours ago, GS455 said:

After a bit of chit chat on another forum I discovered it to be rimlock as a result of Interrupter/ejector issues.    Problem discovered but not solved. Clearly you can see the geometry difference in the interrupters here. The M39 (lower) is the bowed one with tab a bit bent and not protruding into the receiver . The PU Sniper (upper) is the not bowed, rather straight, and the tab looking in alignment while protruding into the receiver. I guess this is what the other smith was bending and tweaking. Not sure if I would be able to bend and torque back into what should be a proper shape. Can these be purchased?

The ejector part seems identical with both. No cosmo or debris mucking up the motion of either. They both feel about the same when pressing on them and appear to be in identical placement.

4f7QCZB.jpg

Numrich is out of Mosin ejector springs, but plenty on ePay. Here's the ejector, spring, and screw for $20 plus $8 shipping. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393054280039?hash=item5b83dc5967:g:XbQAAOSwuddihmdL&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsIVEnC5OkdPSeKMLPf7GosLK0auRh9ymphCW1%2BVJed6F0i27tUgY2JNWETsVzHWgmeqlEYY5wEHgBhMCkjPl5j%2Bw2BGeKI2st8RkzTHsGynZ5Snd5aMS2o%2FxHldBR5fDkx99NQUaBnaGEZ14rlGbZ35jq%2FbXzyJD3oKl7R1t7X7YZuxS7NBqvFAwbiS5iHLkoasSr3G89lqld2ObRHM5h%2FnZzlul07njTNhM7OYTlgwL|tkp%3ABk9SR4Cb0OuUYQ

Edited by Gnarlytoes
14 minutes ago, GS455 said:

Crap.  Thanks.  I did find them at Liberty Tree.  Shoulda checked ePay.  I ordered em as a back up to keep in "the bin".

Hoping I'll be able to figure out installation.  YouTube is a lean lean here.

Go ahead and swap the ejector when you swap the spring. The M44 ejector will probably have less wear since most M39s were built from old M91 receivers.

16 minutes ago, Gnarlytoes said:

Go ahead and swap the ejector when you swap the spring. The M44 ejector will probably have less wear since most M39s were built from old M91 receivers.

His M39 has the two-piece interrupter/ejector, which were never used on the M91's.  The early style interrupter/ejector was a one-piece unit, which proved to be one of the most common failure items in all the early Mosin variants.  Either style will fit and work in any Mosin, but the one-piece units are hard to find  and more failure prone anyway ...

And I agree, from appearances it seems your interrupter has been modified or worn to the point that it's no longer capable of doing its job ...

• Like 1

BAM !!!   New parts in and working!!!  Piece of cake.   Years of minor frustration behind me. Noooow why couldn't the "gunsmith" have done that.  No, he had to pry and bend at it making it worse.

Thanks all

• Like 3