Confessions of a Gun Junkie (Training for different carry weapons/methods)

I've seen the threads concerning Glock grip angle vs. 1911 and threads on striker fired vs. hammer fired.  Then there is the manual safety debate or DA/SA, DAO, and SA debates as well.  So, I have a different question.  What if you like them all?  Is it a bad thing to carry a Glock for years and then occasionally carry a 1911?  Will the manual saftey and grip angle doom your presentation in a panic?  I mentioned in another thread that for years I have shifted my holster according to the gun and how crucial concealment was depending on where I was anywhere from 3 o'clock to 5:30.  Sometimes I like carrying a full sized Beretta 92 at 5:30 and sometimes I have the little Hellcat with a flush magazine right on my hip.  I have often wondered if I am running the risk of a fumbled attempt to defend myself by being such a junkie for wanting to buy, shoot, train with and eventually carry all sorts of guns.  I didn't even mention that one of my main carry guns (right now) has an RMR and the other two are different types of iron sights.  Any thoughts?

I think it was Chuck Taylor who said “Beware of the man with one gun.”  

I don’t see anything wrong with switching from one platform to another for a while.  But the guy who carries a CZ on Monday, a Glock on Tuesday, a 1911 Thursday, and a J-frame Saturday is not helping himself.  

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

To each their own, but I don't like to swap carry guns too much. Now I know I could be blindfolded and pick up a 1911 and the feel of it would cause muscle memory will take over, same if I picked a Glock up blindfolded. I still worry that it could cause a issue in a tense situation where I had to use my gun. I just feel I'll have a quicker reaction if I always carry at least the same action firearm. 

Basically, I carry a Glock 17 when size doesn't matter, or a M&P 9mm when I need something smaller, and that is it. 

This is why when I switched to the 9mm from 45acp do to my hands. I stayed with the 1911 style platform. I bought a few Staccato's because it uses the same 1911 controls, Grip Sagety, Thumb Saftey, and Grip Style. The reason is I've carried a 1911 for close to 30yrs and have trained with that style of handgun's. The only other handguns that I own are a bunch of Smith&Wesson Revolvers. To me switching to one of them is simple for me, but I have also trained in doing so. I agree with the statement that the person who switches between handgun styles of different brands and different controls, if that person doesn't dedicate practicing with them is asking for trouble when the situation happens. Stress is your biggest enemy during these situations, and if you think you'll remain calm your mistaken. Some people handle stess just fine and can manage it to their advantage, other's not so much. Take for example of having to reload the firearm you are carrying at the time, that's why I don't mix my carry guns. Wheel Guns can be a pain to reload under stress especially if you don't carry some sort of loader to help you but you still need to practice with them. Let's just say for example: your out running some errands and all of a sudden the SHTF, and you need to defend yourself, you grab for your main carry gun and the next thing you know it's empty because of the stress of the situation causes you to not remember that you shot 10rnds when your brain will tell you that you fired 4rnds, now you have to reload. If you haven't practiced doing so under stress then it's not as easy to do. You may drop your reloads, try to insert the mag. and it's backwards and your trying to shove it home to continue the fight, it happens that's why if your going to carry a weapon for self defense you have to practice, and then practice some more. So that's my thoughts on carrying different styles of guns. You can own and shoot every style of handgun that's out there, but your better off in my opinion(and we all know the phrase about that) to pick one style and dedicate that one to CCW.

• 1 month later...

I swap (sometimes twice in a day) between guns depending on activity and outfit. The key is, the manual of arms for all my guns is the same, for all carry locations. My P320's, P365, and M&P 2.0 are different sizes and calibers for different situations. The P365 fits in a dang bathing suit. One P320 is a compact and streamlined for IWB carry. Another P320 compact is kitted with a 400 lumen weapon light. Takes more to conceal but still fits IWB with jeans and a tee shirt. The M&P 10mm goes OWB or on a chest rig depending on the activity.

All of these firearms (and every other handgun I carry for immediate use) are striker fired without a thumb safety, carried condition 1. The procedure for draw and defensive use is the same. My hands and eyes don't care which one is in my hands, and I don't have to waste a single mental clock cycle on considering which gun it is, which condition I left the thumb safety in, whether the trigger is going to be a DA or SA press, etc. My entire OODA loop is dedicated to dealing with the threat.

I am a huge fan of SAO hammer fired guns, SA/DA combat pistols and competition handguns, revolvers of all eras, etc. I've carried a Colt SAA in a cowboy crossdraw holster as well as a Western thigh holster around town in Tombstone, AZ, where I have a ranch. Even with the loaded cowboy gun on my belt, I had the P365 (or prior to that, a G43) IWB at the opposite location (appendix or 3 o'clock) to use for self defense.

That modern firearm has come in handy on more than one occasion, especially in Tombstone. ☹️

• 2 weeks later...

I too go back and forth from a striker fired pistol without a manual safety to a 1911 style pistol with a manual safety.  It doesn’t seem bother me at the range, however it may be a little different during a high stress situation.  What does seem to bother me is switching back and forth from a Glock with a RMR to a Glock with iron sights.  It seems like I’m always looking for that dot if I haven’t practiced.

I feel more of a difference when I shoot or carry a gun with a different size grip rather than an action type. I have carried and done a lot of practice with a Glock 43x and a 48 over the last 3 years,conversely I have also shot a few of my 1911s as well for fun.The other day I picked up my Glock 34 to familiarize myself with it because I want to shoot IDPA with it some this year.It felt like I was gripping a 2x4.It took several minutes to get used to the grip  and mag release.

Edited by et45
Wording