Analysis of tn's cc laws

Technically, with the exception of an open carry black powder colt navy (iirc), all carry is illegal. A permit is an exception to the illegality.

However, the permit is for carry. It is not a concealed permit.

Edited by Smith
  • Like 1

It is permitless carry, not constitutional carry.  For one to legally carry in all parks one must possess either the ECP or CCP.  If employed by a post secondary educational institution an ECP is required.  Technically, one must have a permit to drive through a school zone with a handgun according to Federal law.

Coming from Alaska, where the state has a "it's your right, do as you wish" attitude and law books, its tough to go so far backwards in Tennessee. 

I will do some lookin to see what sort of movement there is towards con-carry.

Is there much pushback from people on the lack of a right to con-carry?

51 minutes ago, Shayno said:

Coming from Alaska, where the state has a "it's your right, do as you wish" attitude and law books, its tough to go so far backwards in Tennessee. 

The answer is complicated, but I think the lack of understanding of current laws and the mindset that what we have mostly works the "same", most don't understand what difference it would make. Also, Nashville, Memphis have a lot to do with major pushback against anything 2A related. My impression, it is as much complex semantic issue here in TN as anything else.

However, this has been discussed in detail many times. A quick search of just TGO will give you more than you'll need.

Edited by Smith
1 hour ago, Shayno said:

Best start would be with Tennessee Firearms Association.......TFA  

"...so far backwards...", maybe try CA, IL, NY for starters.  TN has very favorable laws overall.  Not perfect.  If want to change something, reduce the sign language from having the force of law to a simple trespass.

Edited by chances R
  • Like 5

The weapons crime for the no guns signs needs to be removed all together or at least not apply for people with enhanced carry permits.  People with enhanced permits should be able to also carry in other locations such as college campuses that are already legal in most states surrounding TN for people with carry permits.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, 300winmag said:

The weapons crime for the no guns signs needs to be removed all together or at least not apply for people with enhanced carry permits.  People with enhanced permits should be able to also carry in other locations such as college campuses that are already legal in most states surrounding TN for people with carry permits.

I'd love to see this happen too!!!

• Like 3

I don't post much here for one simple reason, I read threads like this and I want to lash out. I have not really become acquainted with the sub-culture of TGOs yet. And frankly, most of you may not know how to take me. 

I moved here from FL 15 years ago, spent my first 42 years in the Clearwater area. After seeing what the non-Crackers had done to my state, I did not want to become just another intruder to TN. I came here with a humble attitude, I went along and got along. 

I had a CCW permit in FL and I immediately got a TN permit......IOWs I've always had a permit. 

For the life of me I cannot understand the bitching and moaning about going through the process. 

Spend a few years here before you start bitching, you might realize it's not as bad as you thought. 

I live in E TN, just outside of Newport, halfway between Knoxville and Asheville. I have yet to go anywhere, besides the obvious courthouses...etc.. where I could not carry, concealed or open......it's a non issue. 

Also, I'm routinely in VA, NC, GA, KY, SC, FL, none of those states could I carry without a permit. 

Just as in FL, years of hearing how wonderful your rustbelt states and northeastern states were...bla, bla, bla. Well, I'm a legit TN resident now and I don't want to hear it now either. 

Get accustomed to our customs or go back, that simple.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2
On 12/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, Defender said:

but I do want the gun buster sign law changed

Where are all these signs everyone is talking about? 

I've yet to see one. 

FWIW, I would not support a business that would ban firearms on the premises. Just as we cut the Cable more than 12 years ago, MSM and the other liars are not allowed in our home. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 9:53 PM, WillyK said:

This sign?

spacer.png

Looks like they are permanently closed. I do my best, not to do business where these signs are posted   Of course there are places we have to go on occasion, 😒

Permanently closed is why I took the picture, thinking that sign didn't work out too well for them. It's the Huddle House in Livingston. I never went past the sign and apparently I wasn't the only one.

• Like 1

We all complain about TN gun laws, but it could be much worse. It's really not all that bad.

Seems just about every state has some strange firearms laws. The thing that always bugged me about FL was the concealed part, and not allowing open carry. While I don't open carry, I still have to worry about my shirt or something riding up and revealing my gun, which can put me in violation of the law.

• Like 1