Kitchen Knife Block Sets - Opinions/suggestions wanted.

tacops

My wife wants a new knife block set for the kitchen.  Her only requirements are she wants the steak knives to be serrated and the handles on all knives to be stainless steel.  I grew weary looking at all the choices so thought I would seek opinions of those who might have a set on the counter top that they liked.  I also appreciate info as to recommended or stay away from.  Thanks.

I'm with Chucktshoes...I dislike serrated knives...intenesly. As to a kitchen knife set...I'd love to own a decent one. My wife, without my knowing, put our set in the last yard sale. 

I was very much not happy about it. Don't worry, she says. I got us some good knives.  It was a cheap set with colored plastic handles. Not a good bread knife or steak knives in the set.

I'm looking for something now. Won't be an expensive set, not enough life nor use left for that.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I don' know what sets they make, but I have had Cutco steak knives for 20+ years and they cut like new to this day.  I bought a second set about 5 years ago and they are just as good.   I have a few other Cutco's as well and all are excellent.

For more value, it's hard to beat Rada knives.  Just know the metal handles are not dishwasher safe.  They do have serrated steak knives, but I also wouldn't go that route.  For a bread knife yes, steak knives no.

All of that being said, my Cutco Steak knives are partially serrated and I have never had to sharpen them.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

For more value, it's hard to beat Rada knives. 

Thanks Hozzie, I had not heard of Cutco but I will check them out.  I have been looking at some RADA offerings.  Thanks for he suggestion.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

I like the Rada knives also. The Mennonite stores in Johnson City and Yoders in Bulls Gap sell Rada knives.

Thanks, I am looking at the Rada knives.  She wants a whole block set so we will see.

Don't know how long there have been Rada Knives in my family. Granny, Mother, and now us. We have had them given to us. Bought at Flea Markets, and even some from a Mennonite group.

It's always been in small numbers...singles, 2 and 3s. Never a large set. I've always liked them. Not a super sharp knife, but cuts all I need. My wife, bless her, cannot have a sharp knife around. She will cut herself every time.

But back to the Rada knives. As I said, I like them, especially the paring knife. I'll use it for about everything. sort of a multi-purpose knife.

However, the last few years, they have had a tendancy to discolor badly on the blades. Don't know why. Different materials, reactions to dishwashers and detergents? Have any of you experienced this? 

21 hours ago, tacops said:

My wife wants a new knife block set for the kitchen.  Her only requirements are she wants the steak knives to be serrated and the handles on all knives to be stainless steel.  I grew weary looking at all the choices so thought I would seek opinions of those who might have a set on the counter top that they liked.  I also appreciate info as to recommended or stay away from.  Thanks.

Unfortunately my suggestion(s) won't help to solve requirement #2 with the stainless handles but I am in the kitchen using my knives literally every day. My workhorse is a Wüsthof chefs 7" and from there it varies between a mix of Shun Wüsthof and Henckels. My steak knives are Wüsthof with heavy serrations ( enough to make CTS cringe 🤣 ) but a quick search show no one on my list offering an all stainless set. Henckels has a set of all ss steak knives but not serrated. 

Good luck in your journey

1 minute ago, FUJIMO said:

Unfortunately my suggestion(s) won't help to solve requirement #2 with the stainless handles but I am in the kitchen using my knives literally every day. My workhorse is a Wüsthof chefs 7" and from there it varies between a mix of Shun Wüsthof and Henckels. My steak knives are Wüsthof with heavy serrations ( enough to make CTS cringe 🤣 ) but a quick search show no one on my list offering an all stainless set. Henckels has a set of all ss steak knives but not serrated. 

Good luck in your journey

Henckels and Wüsthof for me as well. I mainly use a big heavy chefs knife, and a couple hollow ground santoku knives. I have serrated bread knives and a thin carving knife, but the first three are my go-to kitchen knives. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

You shouldn’t put quality knives in the dishwasher. 

Tell my wife that. It might be dangerous to your health. According to her...anything and everything but gold rim dishware goes in the dishwasher.

But it is good to see someone else say this. I'll show the thread to her.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to avoid a "block set".  Get yourself a really good quality chef knife, paring knife, and bread knife.  After that get yourself a quality set of sharpening stones or a system to keep them sharp.    This will cover 95% of what you need and avoid spending money on knives you aren't going to use.  I picked up a tactile chef's knife maybe 2 years ago and it has been a champion, also really like the Spyderco kitchen knives.

No input on the steak knives.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, tacops said:

Thanks Hozzie, I had not heard of Cutco but I will check them out.  I have been looking at some RADA offerings.  Thanks for he suggestion.

Cutco is a MLM company that likes to take advantage of teenagers trying to get their first job. I tend to agree with FrankD about just getting a few good knives instead of a block set. Your wife may not see the logic in that though and it's probably best to just make her happy.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Cutco is a MLM company that likes to take advantage of teenagers trying to get their first job. I tend to agree with FrankD about just getting a few good knives instead of a block set. Your wife may not see the logic in that though and it's probably best to just make her happy.

I won't disagree with this as far as teenagers, but I would say that the quality of their product is exceptional in my experience.  It's one of the few products I would recommend a kid to peddle if they had to.  My first set was bought from a family friends kid by my mom when we were in our 20's (late 40's now).  She bought a set for me and my brother.  We both still use them today and not because we can't afford to buy something else or are too cheap.  They are just that good in my book.

Edited by Hozzie
  • 3 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 4:04 AM, tacops said:

Thanks for all the input.  I ended up ordering a set of Henckles.  We will see if that suits her.

i'm way late as well, but Henckels does the trick. The closer they're made to Europe, the better they are. That being said, we have a serrated set of steak knives from Henckels china and they work just fine.

If you want REALLY good knives, then you'll want to buy individual pieces.

I bought my wife a damascus Shun this past year. i cringe every time i see her drag the edge along the board....

Edited by NoBanStan
don speelz gud
5 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

i'm way late as well, but Henckels does the trick. The closer they're made to Europe, the better they are. That being said, we have a serrated set of steak knives from Henckels china and they work just fine.

If you want REALLY good knives, then you'll want to buy individual pieces.

I bought my wife a damascus Shun this past year. i cringe every time i see her drag the edge along the board....

My wife has her own kitchen knives. I hide the ones I use. She is a college graduate, yet has no idea why dragging a knife edge across a ceramic plate would dull the damn blade. Every time I went to use a kitchen knife, the edge of the blade was at least as dull as the back. Stop cooking. Go sharpen a knife. I just bought my own. She can now saw and grind them as she pleases as long as she doesn’t touch mine.

19 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My wife has her own kitchen knives. I hide the ones I use. She is a college graduate, yet has no idea why dragging a knife edge across a ceramic plate would dull the damn blade. Every time I went to use a kitchen knife, the edge of the blade was at least as dull as the back. Stop cooking. Go sharpen a knife. I just bought my own. She can now saw and grind them as she pleases as long as she doesn’t touch mine.

i took her to a cooking class for the knife skills specifically. 🙂

• Haha 1