Anyone flying Microsoft Flight Simulator

Links2k

I’ve wanted to try msfs for several years, and I’ve finally taken the leap. It seems that it’s going to be challenging, but fun. 

I have two hardware setups for  my HP Omen pc. One for msfs (Turtle Beach Velocity One) and one for DCS (Thrustmaster T Flight Full Kit X) . I also have a HP Reverb G2 V2 that should be here tomorrow for VR sims. 

What’s your setup? What advice would you offer to a noob getting into flight sims? Thanks!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Darrell said:

I enjoyed it when it first became available back in Biblical times. I'd like to try it again, but I already spend WAY too much time on my computer! Let us know what you think of it after you've become better acquainted.

Will do

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, PrestonH said:

You gotta get a VR headset (preferably Valve Index). It takes it to a whole new level. 

I’ve already purchased a HP Reverb G2 V2.  It has pretty good ratings for a mid priced headset. If I stick with flying I’ll more than likely upgrade to the Valve unit. I hear Apple is going to hit the market with a game changer this year. 

I also have Trackir5. I’ve yet to setup the vr headset.  

I’ve set MSFS aside for the moment. I’m currently learning the A10 Warthog in DCS. I fell in love with that aircraft during my military days.  I’m having to take so many notes and do repetitious actions it feels like I’m in actual flight school. I love that you can’t jump into a plane and fly. It’s taken a week to perfect the startup and takeoff sequence. I haven’t even gotten into navigation and weapons. It really keeps the mind occupied. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2

I'm torn on this topic. I've got a great gaming rig with an RTX3080. I've got the Valve Index and I've got Gamepass to play MSFT Flight Sim. But what I don't have is the flight stick and throttle.... and i'm not willing to spend that much on it.

I've tried DCS with the Index and its controllers. it's really neat, but playing pretend with the stick and throttle just isn't immersive AT ALL. I also have this gene where I can't just buy the cheapest thing out there. I need at least mid grade, which is big bucks for a novelty.

• Like 2
On 2/14/2023 at 3:28 PM, Links2k said:

I’ve already purchased a HP Reverb G2 V2.  It has pretty good ratings for a mid priced headset. If I stick with flying I’ll more than likely upgrade to the Valve unit.

Personal opinion, I would wait. There's a fair amount of next gen hardware coming soon. I love my index but the layer of dust on it is pretty thick. They don't make a lot of games and it's years old now. I also fear that in the future it's all gonna be AR chat rooms and meta stuff. Not my thing.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

IMG_8440.thumb.jpeg.7a94e3618e11a8ad34150b041f4d424d.jpegIMG_8439.thumb.jpeg.a5602294c23904cbdb83d785ad08a2f2.jpeg

Still working on my sim pit. I’m about 75% done.  I going to set up two sets of functional mfcd’s and I’m waiting on a back ordered UFC, then I’ll be done. 

I’m going to concentrate on the A10 first, then the Apache before moving on to the naval/fleet planes.  

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1