Braces / What’s the deal on this now?

It’s somewhat a confusing mess right now, but one thing worth noting, TN removed SBRs and SBS from the state law this last July, so it will kind of be like CA and CO with Mary Jane, federally illegal but legal within the state. I have spoken with several state and my local LEO agencies about the matter, and they will supposedly not be assisting the feds with anything in this manner, though they warned that Metro and the other liberal citIes have and will continue despite the change in state law. Unlike CA and CO where the feds don’t care about drugs, I still think they will pounce on a gun owner with a soon to be illegal brace the first chance they get. There will possibly be an NFA amnesty where they waive the $200 fee to register your braced pistol, this would potentially include having to send a picture of it with the brace, so you couldn’t change it to a stock later. Many also suspect that this is just a way to get more AR’s added to their registry. Lots of information about it on YouTube.

11 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

I still think they will pounce on a gun owner with a soon to be illegal brace the first chance they get.

Maybe I'm being naive but I think it will primarily be used to tack on to more serious charges. Yes of course you could be prosecuted for just the brace alone, but I'd be willing to say they are also hesitant based on the process of them reclassifying what a stock is and the likeliness that a court has an issue with it. 

• Like 1

I don’t expect anything long term to come of this. I could be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

The cost of litigation or the cost millions of free tax stamps or the cost of jailing those who don’t comply is simply something the budget wouldn’t allow. 

That being said, I do fully expect the ATF to implement some rule change concerning braces before the end of the year, but I believe it will be rescinded before the April 2023 amnesty period ends. 

This opinion is worth what you paid for it. Good evening!

• Like 1
  • Moderators
27 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I don’t expect anything long term to come of this. I could be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

The cost of litigation or the cost millions of free tax stamps or the cost of jailing those who don’t comply is simply something the budget wouldn’t allow. 

That being said, I do fully expect the ATF to implement some rule change concerning braces before the end of the year, but I believe it will be rescinded before the April 2023 amnesty period ends. 

This opinion is worth what you paid for it. Good evening!

Not to mention that FPC, GOA and others are waiting for the rules to drop so they can start the lawsuit printer up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hipower said:

With all the good comments above...is it worth noting that the 87,000 new tax agents are trained(?) and armed? Could they be shifted over to BATFE as enforce ment agents? Send them out to search for people with a brace at ranges?

I can’t speak for the IRS’s intentions, but I would assume that most of their new hires are actually going to be working tax related issues.

I’m still waiting on resolution of a 2020 tax issue. I filed and paid 2021 online to put the headache behind me. 

I wouldn’t read too much into the IRS supposedly arming their agents. With the exception of the bump stop, how many of these scare tactic internet rumors have been true over the last fifteen years?

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Links2k said:

I can’t speak for the IRS’s intentions, but I would assume that most of their new hires are actually going to be working tax related issues.

I’m still waiting on resolution of a 2020 tax issue. I filed and paid 2021 online to put the headache behind me. 

I wouldn’t read too much into the IRS supposedly arming their agents. With the exception of the bump stop, how many of these scare tactic internet rumors have been true over the last fifteen years?

True. But a few times have we been snookered by the gov't and not seen it coming.

Yep. My pessimistic side is out today.

• Like 2