Spartan Safe ... who else lost money?

14 hours ago, tinyhatmodel said:

@Stromtrooper77 I'm sorry you're in the same boat. It truly sucks. Did you get any email responses yet after submitting the 'refund request'?  Im reading all sorts of conflicting information about legal options. There may be no obvious (provable) criminal intent and it will simply be a civil matter. But they aren't local so I imagine you'd have to go to the local court in kennersville north carolina. It really sucks because this will assuredly cost more in time and lawyer fees than what I am currently out. I bet Spartan realizes this and until we get a confirmed large group of wronged customers to after them, I imagine it will be a lost cause.

Keep us posted if you hear of anything.

@bersaguyI don't see how you could prove any actual criminal intent. Not from my end at least. At this point since the business hasn't filed bankruptcy (that I can find), we are dealing with a business who hasn't delivered a product. They have "taken action" to get refunds back, but its not looking great. From that perspective it seems like they're doing everything they have to do. Probably just giving them enough time to cover themselves and get out of this without a trace and leave us all empty handed. 

@E4 No MoreThe question is, is this even criminal? Its just a  business that hasn't delivered at this point. That's typically between the two parties and outside of law enforcement is it not? Maybe I'm wrong?

I don't think it's as you think, but I'm not as familiar with Tennessee law as I was in the state that I was a cop. The fact that they took your money and never paid their supplier would make it criminal in my book; not just a non-delivery. I recommend that you contact the detectives in the Murfreesboro PD to discuss the particulars. If this happened in Nashville I wouldn't recommend this course of action as they are certainly not going to sweat it.

Well it is confirmed Chadley Management Inc aka. Spartan Safe filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

https://www.bankruptcyobserver.com/bankruptcy-case/CHADLEY-MANAGEMENT

I’m not very knowledgeable on the legality of how that affects our likelihood of getting full refunds, but I imagine there is a way for them to weasel out of repaying anything if they don’t actually own any assets to be liquidated. Which I’m sure they were renting locations, and probably the display safes were not owned by them. All of which is the likely reason for all the delays, was just time for them to get their affairs in order. 

So far I have contacted several law firms to try to get a class action case going. Probably won’t because the payout won’t be worth the lawyers time. I was turned down by Morgan & Morgan. I have also filed fraud complaints with TN and NC Attourney Generals, you can do this online. In addition I filed a fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, also done online. I encourage any and everyone reading this to do the same, take as much action as you can, don’t take this lying down. 

Looking at the Chapter 7 bankruptcy filed, the odds are no one who is not a secured creditor will see one dime.

That's regardless of the statement "CHADLEY MANAGEMENT INC. indicated on its bankruptcy petition that it expects there will be sufficient assets in the estate to make a payment to the unsecured creditors."

With liabilities of 10-50 million, and assets of 1-10 million that's doesn't bode well for those who paid for but never received safes. The above statement is often used to keep creditors wishing, hoping, and off their backs.

While there still could criminal proceedings, the bankruptcy filed at first glance doesn't look promising for those who were screwed out of their cash.

Also expect 1-1.5 years for this to wind its way through Bankruptcy Court.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
On 12/12/2022 at 10:58 PM, tinyhatmodel said:

Interesting... Someone who worked for the company finally spoke. Found on spartans facebook review page.

image.png.3486c12d4244d98097025be43f1222d9.png

That's a self-aggrandizing statement that may be true or a statement meant to throw suspicion and possible criminal charges off of themselves.

I find it hard to believe that employees weren't knowledgeable about the business model of taking deposits and providing nothing.

The more I read about Spartan Safe, the more it seems like a scam from the beginning.

The first few 'legitimate' customers may get their safes or they may be shills who talk about the deals they got and excellent customer service. Like the winner at a Three-Card Monte game who's working with the dealer.

A specific red-flag is the sweetheart deal they offered, plus free delivery 'only' they required all the money up front. That's not a good business deal for the consumer. A legit business will take a deposit, have you sign paperwork that the deposit will be forfeited if you don't go ahead with the purchase. That way they keep your deposit and can sell the item at full price and are protected. That way the consumer can only lose his deposit even if it's a scam.

Then they string you along for two-three months for those who paid with mosts credit cards as that exceeds the chargeback time.

A least this can be a lesson for others to learn from. I'm betting that less than 1% of those who were scammed checked out the company before purchasing. 

A deal 'too good to be true' was just that.

More internet searching shows that Chadley Management Company is a trucking company. There's your free delivery offer. This could be where the cash flow went.

It would be interesting to know when Spartan Safe started business, how many safes were sold, how many safes were actually delivered, and if their policy was always to collect all monies up front.

Edited by crc4

I suggest contacting a local TV station. Most have some type of 'consumer' oriented segments where they investigate ripoffs.

This might get the word out to others and the more people swindled the better chance someone in government might get involved.

Yes, they got me too.  They filed for bankruptcy on 12-8-2022. I am trying to get a chargeback through my credit card but I doubt I’ll ever see any money due to the filing of chapter 7.  The company is “chandley management INC”. Case#20-50726. Case filed in North Carolina.  There is a very very long list of people that got shafted.

Here’s those links to file complaints. Takes a minute, but is probably our best bet. 

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/

https://stateoftennessee.formstack.com/forms/dca

https://ncdoj.gov/file-a-complaint/consumer-complaint/

Gonna call the case manager today to make sure I’m on the claim list and see what I can find out. I’ll post on here any info I have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Contacted the Case manager to see if I was on the list of creditors and if I needed to file anything. She advised that I am on the list, but currently do not need to file a proof of claim. If and when it comes to it, the court will send out notifications and it will be completed online. 

Some more interesting information, apparently there is a new trustee as the previous had a conflict of interest. The trustee is still going through everything to see what if any assets there are to be liquidated. The lawyer they hired is supposed to be top notch. To give a scope of the issue, I was told there are 161 pages of creditors (more people like us). So apparently this is just the beginning and its going to take a long time. 

Is there anyone reading this from NC? There is a 341 meeting on January 20th (from what I know) that is open to attendance from my understanding. I would be nice if someone could attend and get info and hopefully give our side of the story if we can. 

• Like 1

I bought a Gun Safe from Spartan Safe on 9/23/22. I emailed them this past Sunday  about status of my order and received an automated response that had a link about filing for a refund. I then tried to call this week and looked at their website and I guess they closed permanently. I read several of your posts and I am in the same boat as a lot of you. I paid $1538 on a virtual visa credit card that I created through Affirm. I reported it to them and they have not done anything about it.  I am not really sure where this will go, but nobody from Spartan Safe, Liberty Safe, nor affirm have called me back. If any of you have suggestions I would appreciate any feedback. I’m extremely pissed off and infuriated about the situation. 

• Angry 1

Thanks for the links @Stromtrooper77. I will submit a complaint on those other links. Hopefully others do as well. That would be awesome if someone local could go to that meeting and get first hand info.

@EagleB , @MW Williams I am sorry you guys are stuck in this as well. Hope these thieves rot.

I received my letter today. Haven't seen anyone post it up so here is what it looks like.

Notice of Chapter 7 - Chadley Management Inc..jpg

Just found this Forum and signed up...  Good to be here, although it is not for a good reason.

Yes, I too was duped by Spartan Safe and am out in excess of $4,000...

Haven't read all of the posts/responses, but I too have lodged a complaint with TN State Attorney's office.  I will, as others have suggested, file a complaint with the FTC.

From what I have gleaned from this Forum, and elsewhere, it appears Spartan Safe / Chadley Mgmt engaged in fraudulent activities by taking consumers money and not passing it on to Liberty Safe for the products purchased.

Not expecting to get my money back, but would like to think that the ownership of Chadley Mgmt would be held to account.

I did contact my Credit Card company, lodged a formal complaint, and had the funds re-credited to my account.  However, my understanding is that that is pending and contingent upon the CC company recovering the funds from Spartan/Chadley.  Since I have also received the Chapter 7 filing announcement, I am fairly certain that I will eventually have to pay the CC company back. 

Misery loves a friend!!!

Cheers...

2 hours ago, MW Williams said:

The Spartans safe in Murfreesboro actually has/had Liberty Safe on the front of the building and website. 

https://www.alignable.com/murfreesboro-tn/liberty-safe-of-murfreesboro

That proves nothing in the sense that Liberty isn't responsible for what someone who distributes their safes does without an actual written contract where Liberty takes on that responsibility, which they clearly did not. I think Liberty is is the clear. 

Liberty didn't sell you the safe directly. They  were selling the safes to Spartan who in turn sold you the safe. Liberty wasn't turning loose of the safes to Spartan until they safes were paid for by Spartan. Liberty wasn't dealing with the customer safe buyers. Spartan was at best a middle-man like so many other safe dealers like Tractor Supply Company. Other than the express warranty made by Liberty concerning their safes (usually manufacturing defects and such discovered in a set time frame) there's nothing to sue Liberty for. No one was defrauded by Liberty. Liberty doesn't want this complication involving their reputation anymore that those who were scammed want to be out their money.

If Walmart advertises they have Libby's Corned Beef for sale, that doesn't make Libby's responsible if Walmart over-charges you, fails to deliver the product to you, has a surly employee, etc. 

I think you'll find the same in this case. Liberty is not at fault without proveable evidence and I don't believe there is any.

Edited by crc4
39 minutes ago, MW Williams said:

Spartan Safe/Chandler is clearly the ones in the wrong from what I know or have read and researched so far. However,  by having liberty safe on the front of their store it is very misleading.image.thumb.jpeg.d27f8513e329d4f18c68c8a654d3bbb1.jpeg

No more misleading than when a matress store has "Sealy Posturepedic" on the front of their store. Or a used car dealer has 'Chevrolet' sign out front.

I continue to ask this question. How many people checked out this store with the BBB, other Spartan Safe stores around the country, or asked to speak with past customers of Spartan Safe? The info about their customer dissatisfaction was easily found by a search.

Look, I'm sorry people got taken, that they were victims of fraud, and in the best scenario will only receive pennies on the dollar. I hate that it's happened to good people.

But the big lesson for everybody to learn is to check things out before you put your money down. I can not imagine that anyone took time to say to themselves, "You know, something smells fishy here. Before I pay out thousands up front with nothing but a promise to deliver, I'm not going to feel pressured or so excited that I'm going to wait until I'm completely satisfied that this is on the up and up."

So far, no one who got suckered has come forth to tell they thoroughly checked Spartan Safe out and went ahead with the deal.

This is not like doing business with Tractor Supply Company. This is a subsidiary of a trucking company, not a safe company nor an authorised subsidiary of Liberty Safes.

I worked frauds when I was a detective. Frauds are often perpetrated on those finding that great deal that can't wait or won't wait. They use all the psychological tricks to draw you in to get your money.

There's no shame involved though I'm certain many are feeling shamed, embarrassed, and are out a big chunk of change. It hurts. I know it does.

But trying to correct the past and looking to Liberty to make it turn out alright is frankly a waste of time and your resources. It isn't going to happen. 

The best at this point is to make sure you're aware of the bankruptcy proceedings as they crawl along, do whatever you need to do to be on the 'list,' but don't kid yourself that your money will be returned.

If you want to do something that has the potential to pay off, work with law enforcement, state consumer agencies, in particular North Carolina where this originated, and do your besI understand. But don't let the fraudsters continue to make you miserable by grinding your teeth and chewing this up for months and years. You can't help what's happened, but you can control how you deal with it.

@crc4 I went and checked out about 4 different places prior to ordering a safe through Spartan. I knew a few people who personally bought from them and were happy with it. I researched their reviews across a variety of the TN stores and some other ones that popped up on google. Overall they were reviewed positively. But online reviews are just that, online review. Who knows the truth behind it. Oddly 2 months after ordering the safe, the manager at Murfreesboro store sent me an email asking to leave a positive review for him on their pages. I never responded, as why would I rate your store before even getting the product? Obviously now it all makes sense.

To be fair, do you look up every single company/business you order from off the internet or store you shop at in person with the BBB before purchasing? I'm going to tell you I wont waste my time doing that for everything I order. Seems a bit overkill to me, but if you do, more power to you! But you are right, the more you looked at Spartan the more suspicious they became!

For those going after Liberty, you may think in some sort of way they could be held liable... But honestly I feel we would just be displacing our anger. Spartan is the thief. No one else. I bet this has already hurt Liberty's brand enough. My buddy who also bought a safe at the same time with me from spartan (his credit card already got his refund, so he lucked out) could not even get anyone at Liberty to contact him about ordering another safe. So he went with another brand entirely. So I'm sure not only is this bad publicity, but I'm sure they're losing customers. And probably losing some more who cant drop another 5 grand to replace what was never delivered from spartan.

CRC4 - Another reason I made this thread was to vent a bit and empathize with the others in this situation. Because you are right, I do not need to let this continue to bother me. It sucks. Ill continue to keep tabs on the situation. But I am going to move on and work to earn that money back. Definitely a lesson in up front cash payments on a long eta delivery. A very sour lesson.

• Like 1

Hey Friends - just honestly expressing how sorry I am for all of you that lost out in this.  I was not burned in a situation like this but one where someone was selling a boat on consignment for me.  Never saw the boat again and even after having him prosecuted and signing a repayment agreement, I got back about $500 of the $3000 owed me.

I guess we all live and learn . . .

Best of everything to you, sincerely!

10 hours ago, crc4 said:

7 hours ago, tinyhatmodel said:

To be fair, do you look up every single company/business you order from off the internet or store you shop at in person with the BBB before purchasing? I'm going to tell you I wont waste my time doing that for everything I order. Seems a bit overkill to me, but if you do, more power to you! But you are right, the more you looked at Spartan the more suspicious they became!

I do not check out every store or internet seller if I've dealt with them successfully in the past. But I'm also not dropping thousands of dollars with them in our first meeting.

When I wanted new gutters, I checked out the BBB first. When I needed a huge tree removed, I checked out the BBB first. I paid more in both cases for the professional services than the guy who sells gutters and installation out of the back of his 1987 Dodge Ram or the 'tree guy' who has a chain-saw, a rope, and two helpers all of whom were meth-heads with rotten teeth working bare-chested in February sweating buckets waiting on their next hit. Both these 'businesses' wanted the money up front. A neighbor went with the tree guy and lost $600 cash on the promise they'd get started the next day. That tree was still rotten the next week and it took a professional tree service 4 hours to bring it down at a cost of $2000.00. Who knows, but spending $600 to the conman who didn't return may have kept the tree off his house.

Be aware that many of the top reviews on Google are paid for to get that top ranking, are written by marketing and advertising companies, and are less than honest. 

Most often with frauds the warning signs are present, but people don't look. Most importantly, they 'feel' something is wrong but don't act on that instinct and go along. A good fraudster never has to force someone to play their game - they depend on the mark to want to play it enthusiastically where emotions outrun evidence.

I'm glad you are trying to get on with life. I also understand your wanting to rant. That can be positive in helping someone else not get taken by telling your story.

Best of luck to you sir.

Edited by crc4

I recently had a friend by a liberty steel safe from here a couple months ago. He called the week before thanksgiving in regards to them delivering it and him being able to get it. They told him to call the first week of December after they had closed the doors. If you contact the company of the safe you bought. They might be able to honor your pricing at the time you paid for it.