Spartan Safe ... who else lost money?

Good evening all

Spartan Safe in Knoxville got me too.  $2100 on my credit card.  I was issued a temporary refund but I expect the bank to take that back.  A lady up here contacted a reporter at WATE and there is suppose to be a story on WATE on Monday December 18th at 5:30.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Enzo Rules said:

Good evening all

Spartan Safe in Knoxville got me too.  $2100 on my credit card.  I was issued a temporary refund but I expect the bank to take that back.  A lady up here contacted a reporter at WATE and there is suppose to be a story on WATE on Monday December 18th at 5:30.  

https://www.wate.com/investigations/knoxville-woman-out-1000-after-safe-store-closes-abruptly/

Hope you all don't hold any Ill feeling over Christmas and can enjoy the holiday. I think we will be in a holding pattern until we hear what comes of the creditors meeting in January. Seems like that is the next big milestone in this fiasco.

I'm glad a local news station ran a segment on this. That's better than it all being swept under the rug.

13 minutes ago, tinyhatmodel said:

Hope you all don't hold any Ill feeling over Christmas and can enjoy the holiday. I think we will be in a holding pattern until we hear what comes of the creditors meeting in January. Seems like that is the next big milestone in this fiasco.

I'm glad a local news station ran a segment on this. That's better than it all being swept under the rug.

Since the TV station ran the story, why not call the local DA in Knoxville and ask him about it? If he gets enough phone calls (not emails as they're too easy to avoid) and ask him what he plans to do about this massive fraud against regular people.  Don't threaten his job but do bring some pressure.

Write a Letters to the Editors of the newspaper, and maybe call the hometown columnist and present it as a good story involving many honest people being scammed.

You've had a good story on TV. Build momentum with that. See if you can get the media to cover your upcoming creditors meeting. 

Is liberty at fault because their authorized dealer robbed us all? Well if this was about gun violence then we could sue the gun manufacture! How messed up is this world??

my mother told me to get a gun safe for years and after she passed in May 2022 I decide to buy a liberty safe to protect my guns and her valuables. I’ve looked at the fat boy for years. So what a great year I lose my mother and thousands of dollars to these low life’s!!! 

• Angry 2
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, Bash68 said:

my mother told me to get a gun safe for years and after she passed in May 2022 I decide to buy a liberty safe to protect my guns and her valuables. I’ve looked at the fat boy for years. So what a great year I lose my mother and thousands of dollars to these low life’s!!! 

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Sorry to hear about your loss as well. That’s why I bought a safe as well because I inherited my dad’s guns and he had several. I lost him in August, and lost my stepmother in September! Now, the scum, sucking lowlifes, basically steal our money and it’s a scam because they didn’t even order the safe that I paid for! I spoke with Liberty safe the other day and they said the spartan safe Had it in the system, but never paid for it! 

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a safe from them on 08/05/22. Did the 18 months same as cash. Was told 8-10 weeks to receive the safe from Liberty and 3-5 weeks for delivery to me. Called in late October and got told a shipment was coming and hopefully get it around Thanksgiving. Got the bankruptcy notice. Called the bank today. They are canceling the loan and refunding all funds I've paid. Guess I got lucky I financed it.

• Like 1
On 12/11/2022 at 10:17 PM, Slasher said:

I ordered one with them back in October. They were doing a two year interest free loan with a bank so that's what I signed up for. There have only been two payment taken but now I have to call the bank to see what can be done to stop the loan.

I saw where Spartan had a refund webpage but seeing that I didn't put any money down up front I get the no need to sign up for the refund.

Call the bank. I did today and they're canceling the contract and refunding all I've paid so far

• Like 1

They told me all they had in stock was the display models and they would not sell one of them. I was then told I could order one for delivery in 4 to 6 months. I then just went to tractor supply and bought one. But that is the reason buyers did not just purchase one in stock.

I bought mine from Spartan, safe of Murfreesboro and used a virtual card made by AFFIRM on six months same as cash. AFFIRM still has not refunded my money. THE SAFE COST $1538 AND I HAD ALREADY PAID THEM BACK OVER $1300 in three months.  First AFFIRM told me it would take 3 to 5 days to resolve, then had posted on the website 22 days typically, now I am being told 30 to 90 days. I will probably never see my money back! I won’t buy anything thru them again either.

@LSMurphyAt the time when I ordered it, they were offering free delivery and no where local (at the time) had the safe I was looking for in stock. They also told me they would swap the electronic dial for mechanical at no cost, and 2-3 months at that point wasn't unheard of for a order through liberty themselves. Because as it turns out that lead time was accurate since I found out my safe was actually built by liberty in May when I ordered in March.

FYI: I got another letter in the mail from the NC court that is handling the bankruptcy stating they FOUND ASSETS and to submit your details for the claim. So if anyone hasn't already done that please do!  Maybe we will each get 1$ back... ha

My credit card company (discover) has already given me back the money I spent on the card (im still out cash...) and are currently investigating. So when their 30 day investigation is up, we will see if I have to give them back the money.

I ordered a safe from Nashville Safe House last Friday. Will have it Monday. They had 26 marks on the board of people coming in that had dealt with this. The lady told me there were 277 people screwed just from the Murfreesboro store and they had 17 locations. 

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to put in an update where I’m at. Hopefully everyone has filed a proof of claim, although I highly doubt we will see anything close to what we are owed, if anything at all. I very much recommend trying to get a refund through your bank/credit card company before the bankruptcy is final. I am working with mine even though it’s well past 60 days. Probably the only way at this point I’ll see my money again. 

On another note, I found a recording of the 341 meeting. Lengthy but worth the listen I think if you want an idea of what happened and why. Here is the link

https://www.ncmba.uscourts.gov/recordings/341_23_01_20_C7_WS_2.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for that link! Was a pretty eye opening listen. And I feel no sympathy for that dude. Knowingly taking peoples money for months while he knew he could not deliver. 

FYI. In case any of you use discover. 

I filed a claim for the part I didn’t pay cash. To at least reclaim a little bit. Discover has denied my claim and ruled in favor of the merchant. All because they can’t reach the merchant to verify the transaction (uhhh duh, you won’t reach anyone…. They’re bankrupt!). I provided them over 30 pages of documents and receipts but it’s all worthless. They told me to call the police or file with the BBB. Ha! What a joke. 

So for those that had success in getting a chargeback and getting your money, which card did you use? I am done with discover and would like to use a company with actual protections. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, tinyhatmodel said:

thanks for that link! Was a pretty eye opening listen. And I feel no sympathy for that dude. Knowingly taking peoples money for months while he knew he could not deliver. 

I filed a claim for the part I didn’t pay cash. To at least reclaim a little bit. Discover has denied my claim and ruled in favor of the merchant. All because they can’t reach the merchant to verify the transaction (uhhh duh, you won’t reach anyone…. They’re bankrupt!). I provided them over 30 pages of documents and receipts but it’s all worthless. They told me to call the police or file with the BBB. Ha! What a joke. 

So for those that had success in getting a chargeback and getting your money, which card did you use? I am done with discover and would like to use a company with actual protections. 

Sorry to hear this. I think I'd send them the cut-up remains of my Discover card.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:19 PM, tinyhatmodel said:

Used Visa. Got my money back. Was over a year ago. Still got a charge back. F discover

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I had something similar go down a few years ago. Another forum I was in at the time did a group buy of roto-molded coolers (like Yeti, Orca, etc.). The company was legit, but somehow went belly up after taking the money and before delivering the product. Poor communication like "they've arrived in Houston. Should be on the train to my warehouse this week" followed by nothing for weeks, then  "they're in customs", etc. Always something.

I don't think anyone ever got their coolers. Visa took care of it for me.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:43 PM, EagleB said:

Used Visa. Got my money back. Was over a year ago. Still got a charge back. F discover

Won't say they are the best...but along with my bank buddy(hes the manager) I've always gotten money back on any type of issue.