shot gun questions

Guest sarah

12 gauge or 20 gauge is the way you measure the inside barrel diameter of a shotgun the smaller the number the bigger the barrel. birdshot is lots of tiny pellets designed to spread out more than others, it is used to hunt birds with. buckshot is used for personal defense, as it has fewer larger pellets. some 12ga. 00buckshot has about 6 pellets of shot that is like getting shot with a .380 6 times with one pull of the trigger in a shotgun. slugs are a very large bullet and have a harsher recoil. 12 or 20 gauge is the size of ammuniton, birdshot, buckshot, and slugs are the type of ammunition.

you are correct 12 ga. is bigger than 20 gauge. there is 12ga. birdshot, 12ga. buckshot, 12ga. slugs and the same thing in 20 ga. size.

the shot is different than just a bullet, thats why a shotgun is so destructive. a slug is what you you think of as a bullet.

Benelli Nova is a good shotgun, not quite as popular as the remington and mossberg. and i thought they were usually more expensive

oh and the full brand name is O.F. Mossberg and sons. i assume O.F. is his first and middle initial. but everybody uses mossberg for short.

im looking for some pictures of birdshot, buckshot and a slug being shot so you can see the difference

edit: punisher beat me to it but o well

Edited by nightrunner
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one more thing - I've just gone back and was re-reading this - I'm a little more confused about the sizing -

I thought I understood that 20 gauge and 12 gauge were the 2 sizes and that 12 was bigger than 20. 12 and 20 gauge are the most common "sizes" for a Home Defense Shotgun, and yes - 12 gauge is the bigger bore of the two. so what is birdshot? I mean, it's a bullet right? "Shot" references a load of pellets in various sizes. Buckshot = a few large pellets / Birdshot = lots of small pellets. A slug is the shotgun's "bullet". The shotgun slug is a single large lead projectile, unlike shot, which is multiple smaller lead projectiles. Shotguns don't fire the bullets you may be thinking of - like what a rifle or handgun fires. so don't know have to buy a bullet that fits the gun -

so when you are talking about birdshot are you talking about a 12 or a 20 OR are you talking about a bullet?

what are you talking about a bullet or a gun (12 or 20)?

sarah,

O.F. Mossberg and Mossberg are the same manufacturer.

Benelli are fine shotguns. That they weren't mentioned yet is no indication of the quality. They are just less common than Remingtons and Mossbergs, and usually a little more pricey.

And yes, for a Home Defense shotgun you want no more than a 20" barrel (preferably 18 1/2").

As far as the pump sound...it CAN be a deterrent, but don't rely on it. It may scare them off (probably will), but if it doesn't you HAVE to be prepared to fire that weapon in defense of your life.

+ 1

Edited by BigPoppa
Guest Bluemax

Sarah,

All of the information thats been furnished has been accurate, but because of the volume and differing opinions may have been a bit overwhelming. Whenever someone who is relatively new to shooting asks me for advice, the first two thing I take into consideration are simplicity and safety.

The Mossberg model 500 or 590 are both a good choice as well as any other pumps. I usually recomend a pump or double barrel because of thr inherent safety I feel that they possess over a semiauto. Stoeger Arms has a double barrel " coach gun" which you may want to look at.

As for gauge, I would recomend the 20 if you are new to shooting, the 20 has less recoil and you would probably practice with it more as it is more comfortable for a smaller person to shoot.

In taking barrel length into consideration, an 18" or 20" would work equally as well and the only factor I would take into consideration about this is what is available in my price range. Lastly I would think about what "shot" I would prefer in either the 12 or 20 gauge. I have always felt that "birdshot or 7 1/2 was preferable because of the close quarters delt with in a firearm for home defense, this should be more than sufficent and reduce over penatration. In other words if you have to fire a round inside your home you don't want it going thru several walls and injuring a family member or neighbor

My Fiancee and I will be going to the gun show in Sevierville this weekend if you would like to meet up and will be glad to help in any way we can

Regards

Max

Guest 70below
I agree with you Punisher. Like you said, even though the racking sound of the shotgun potentially has the ability to have a phychological effect on the BG, it is definitely smarter to keep a round chambered and ready to fire.

+1

A coworker's wife once awoke to intruder climbing in a window, she picked up a shotgun and pumped a shell into the chamber and prepared to fire. At the sound of the shotgun "clicking", as quickly and smoothly as he began to climb in, he climbed right back out that window. In that situation it worked to simply hear the sound, but had he continued into the house, she was prepared to fire.

I agree with the suggestions most have posted. I personally have a Remington 870 shotgun. One possibility for you also, many common pump shotguns are available with a shorter defense type shotgun barrel and another longer barrel that can be used for hunting or shooting "trap" and "skeet". Trap and Skeet are different shooting contests where you shoot orange clay disks as they fly through the air. It would give you lots of experience getting comfortable with your shotgun, improve your shooting skills, and can be alot of fun. The barrels change easily, and it would allow you to get more use out of your shotgun.

Good luck, and I hope you find something you really feel comfortable with!

Guest SigGrl

I REALLY like Buk's Remington 870. After quite a few rounds I'm a little sore, but nothing too bad. I DO know that I don't hurt quite as much with buck or bird shot than with slugs though.

If it's possible, I would see if I could test fire what I was considering buying. That way, you'll know if it's something you'll be able to use. No sense in having it, if you can't hit anything with it.

What is "Gauge"

The diameter of the shell is gauge, in handguns and fifles it is caliber and is expressed as a decimal and is based on an English inch, or metric millimeter: .45, 9mm

There are several more gauges than 12G and 20 G :10, 12, 16, 20, 28, 410 smaller number is larger shell,

Slugs are one big lead projectile,"bullet", om the shell

buckshot is several larger pellets nimbering between 6 and 24 in one shell #000 thru #4, again with the lower number being the larger "projectiles"

birdshot is the smallest projectiles of all, they range from #4 to #9with #4 being the same size as the buckshot and having about 24 "pellets in one shll. to #9 which is much smaller than a bb and can have almost 200 pellets in a shell

lesson over

as far as recommendations, find what fits you best. my wife has shot aall of my shotguns at one time or another, and she actually owns 2. She has a Winchester 1300 youth model in 20G, and she shoots it with Improved cylinder choke tube. She also has a NEF Handi rifle in .22 LR and 410G with interchangable barrels. She is a small woman.

She has shot all of nmy single shot shotties (10, 12, 16, 20, and 410G), and all 3 of my HD shotties all in 12G, but does not like the Remington 870 with the VC barrel, or the benelli, loves the Mossberg500, but the stock is too large for her. and all my Semi autos, Remington model 11, 1100 and 11-87, Verona SX405, and all of my doubles, she only likes the Cimmaron Coach gun, side by side barrel 12G

On a HD shotgun, I advise no choke in the barrel, most short barrels 18.5 to 20", do not have a choke

Whatever you buy, PRACTICE with it. it will do you no good if you dont know how to use itt. my wife uses low recoil skeet shells (#8 birdshot) to practice with and finishes up with a tube or 2 of heavier shells with more recoil, which is how I load them at home. 1 3" mag#4 turkey load, 3 #00 Buckshot, and 3 slugs. 1st shell is for the first shot at "nose to nose" range and as a less lethal alternativeand Very very loud so the neighbors will wake up and call the cops, next 3 are to put them down if they are still in the house, last 3 are for longer ranges if they are running like a rabbit.

Disclaimer: all of this is my own humble opinion and is not from any class, course, or seminar. Just my own common sense, or at least it makes sense to me

Edited by HillbillyMafia

Shotgun gauge is kind of an antique number and is hard to understand, this is how the numbers are actually arrived at--from wikipedia:

"The gauge of a shotgun is a unit of measurement used to express the diameter of the barrel. The gauge of a barrel is equal to the number of solid spheres of lead each having the same diameter as the inside of the barrel that would in total weigh a pound."

So the smaller the number the larger the bore. As caliber is a direct representation diameter, this is a weight ratio so it is a bit weird.

A 12 gauge is 18.53mm or the equiv lent of .729 cal.

A 20 gauge is 16.83mm or the equivalent of .615 cal.

A 410 gauge is 5.7mm or the equivalent of .225 cal.

The cal/gauge correlation only comes into play if firing slugs. The 410 is not available in slugs to my knowledge.

For your defensive purposes honestly I would stick with 12 or 20. A 20ga with the right shot will get absolutely get the job done, and probably be less intimidating to you as a female shooter-recoil wise. Although I have seen plenty of females handle a 12.

Most good gun dealers will have plastic dummy shot shells available. I would recommend getting a pack for whatever gun you decide on then you can load, unload, cycle the pump and get a feel for your shotgun in a completely safe manner. Good luck, be safe and train!

Edited by TN9mm
Guest 70below

The 410 is not actually a gauge, it is more accurately expressed as .410 bore as it is based on an actual measurement of the inside diameter of the barrel.

The 410 is not actually a gauge, it is more accurately expressed as .410 bore as it is based on an actual measurement of the inside diameter of the barrel.

Hence the "." in front of 410.

Yeah, "four-ten gauge" is a misnomer.

- OS

Guest 70below
yeah, my old Stevens single says "410" not 410 gauge

Sooooooo, why do you shoot a .410 thru a handgun that shoots .45LC, and Not .41 Mag? for hull expansion, or because the Brass is .45 OD?

That would be too easy right?

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the .41 would be a too tight to fit most .410 shells as the brass casing and chamber dimensions of a .41 would be too small for the thicker plastic hull of the .410. .45LC is also a more common cartridge (+cheaper, lower SAAMI pressures) and probably seemed to be better suited to pair with the .410 which wouldn't be affected much by the slightly loose chamber fit.