Need New Carry Flashlight - Suggestions appreciated

My 18-year-old carry flashlight has died. Technology has changed since 2005. I need a new one for simple night walks with the dogs, evening restaurant visits, and shining in the eyes of thugs.

This is the one I've found - Streamlight 66320 MacroStream USB 500-Lumen Rechargeable Compact Flashlight

Does anyone have experience with it? Any other light or information I should consider?

Thanks.

Edited by crc4

I carry the brown version of this light and have for a few years.  It's an excellent light, great size for pocket carry.  I thought I'd lost mine a few weeks ago and was getting ready to order another one just like it when it showed up in the clothes hamper.

One note -- not a criticism; just something for users to know -- is that the light doesn't get noticeably dimmer as the battery power wanes; it just reaches a point where it won't come on again.  So you don't get much warning that it's time to recharge.  Any time you're planning an extended use session -- say a nighttime fishing trip or hunt -- you might want to charge it fully beforehand.

But, like I said, a great light.

HTH,

Whisper

• Like 1

Take it for what it's worth....

I only buy quality now and I do not support Amazon. 

I made the right decision for me and I ordered it directly from Maglite. Smaller than it looks, surprisingly light weight, rechargeable, reach is a about 150 yards. 

Fits nicely in my bag that I carry, will always be with me. I've had old Maglites, several including a 5 D cell monster. Maglite has kept up with modern tech, don't discount them. 

https://maglite.com/products/maglite-ml150lrsx-rechargeable-led-flashlight?variant=34619828535431&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqOucBhDrARIsAPCQL1YmfPjuza6plaQ5n-94DLMwXWG4acSnSqAs79dpCjjFE4B-wBqwIyUaAnSgEALw_wcB

• Like 1

I bought a Fenix PD35 years ago and have never thought to upgrade it. Fits in your pocket. Great for night walks or lighting up a field. Strobe function as well. It’s still a current model but surely more efficient. 
Middle ground price too at $80. 
https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-v3-0-everyday-carry-flashlight-1700-lumens/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpOO4mv77-wIVDLrICh04cg6REAQYASABEgJ_c_D_BwE

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I do get a kick out of these threads, ask a question and get a dozen answers. 😛

I have 3 requirements for a flashlight:

1.  Bright 

2.  Handy

3.  Batteries don’t leak and ruin the thing

Don’t care who make it or where.  That’s all I want.

• Like 2

My daily pocket flashlight is a bit on the cheaper side. I bought a Coast many years ago at a going out of business sale and liked the quality and have bought a few since then as I loose them. I like the G10 and G20 for pocket carry. I usually find the lost ones soon after the replacement arrive. I think I have 3 of the G10s now. They have went through the wash a couple of times with no problems.

https://coastportland.com/collections/penlights

I have several Maglights also scattered around and do use a mini AAA Maglight on occasions.

The one that would be a good walking flashlight I keep next to the bed, it is an Anker Rechargeable Bolder LC90

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH2JP5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Jeb48
  • Like 1

Thanks for the many suggestions and advice. I'll get one of two different brands to try - one for the car and one for on-person carry. I am going the rechargeable route so I can charge them everywhere.

Flashlights have changed. In 1974, this was my duty flashlight and gun. The S&W M 67 and the 4-cell Maglite. The flashlight was really more of a nightstick with a light. Well-made and took the wind out of someone rather quickly. Built like a tank. I still have the replacement bulb in the end cap as I don't recall ever changing the bulb. It's lived in my car by my front door for decades. The Velcro around the top mates with the hook part on the floor to keep it from moving.

I wish everything was made as well as these two.

399387899_4-cellMagliteandM65SW-1973.thumb.jpg.57d7f4c9fcb008548c52fab63963856c.jpg

Edited by crc4

Since no one else has suggested them, Olight. I have the Odin WML and the thing is stupid bright. They are having a pretty good sale right now as well.

I don't have a recommendation on any of their EDC lights as I haven't tried any yet, but I have been impressed with the Odin.

• Like 3

Almost ashamed to mention these...Sealtorch2000. Sold under many names. I first encountered them in the old Lone Survivalist ads. LOL. Wonder what happened to him? Anyway, these are scattered about the house and in glove box in all vehicles. Use them for outside walks to mailbox, car, etc. Good little lights...almost a throwaway. Given them to neighbors.

But to the origional question. For a much better carry flashlight, I have an older Walther TacticalPro, and an unknown age Streamlight. Both these are pocket clip/carry and use CR123 as a power source. Effective, but dated.

Looked at the Streamlight 66320 recently. Seems like a good entry point for me to move up to a rechargeable pocket light. Many of these mentioned above gathered my interest as well. Will be checking them and others out.

Thanks for the thread and all the advice.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, crc4 said:

Thanks for the many suggestions and advice. I'll get one of two different brands to try - one for the car and one for on-person carry. I am going the rechargeable route so I can charge them everywhere.

Flashlights have changed. In 1974, this was my duty flashlight and gun. The S&W M 67 and the 4-cell Maglite. The flashlight was really more of a nightstick with a light. Well-made and took the wind out of someone rather quickly. Built like a tank. I still have the replacement bulb in the end cap as I don't recall ever changing the bulb. It's lived in my car by my front door for decades. The Velcro around the top mates with the hook part on the floor to keep it from moving.

I wish everything was made as well as these two.

399387899_4-cellMagliteandM65SW-1973.thumb.jpg.57d7f4c9fcb008548c52fab63963856c.jpg

I carry a 3 D cell MagLite in our camper. There are 4 or 5 other brighter or lighter flashlights scattered around the camper but every time I think I should pull it out, I put it back in, it's right by the door a very handy weapon that masquerades as a flashlight. I converted mine to LED about 10 years ago when MagLite first offered the upgrade bulb.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Jeb48 said:

I carry a 3 D cell MagLite in our camper. There are 4 or 5 other brighter or lighter flashlights scattered around the camper but every time I think I should pull it out, I put it back in, it's right by the door a very handy weapon that masquerades as a flashlight. I converted mine to LED about 10 years ago when MagLite first offered the upgrade bulb.

Same for me. I have one by my bed on the nightstand and the other in our motorhome. They are right beside my pistols. The LED upgrade is nice but the "club" factor is the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fenix has great customer service. I let my LD41 sit for too long without using it and the batteries leaked ruining the carriage that holds the batteries. I contacted Fenix and tried to buy a new carriage but they sent me a new one for free even though it was my error. I also have an E12 for pocket carry and an LD22. All good lights.

• Like 3

I’m a sucker for smallish flashlights!  Well I still have a couple d cell mag lights in use, but they’re old and huge.  For smaller, I edc carry a streamline penlight, but I have a Olight Warrior on my go bag, a Felix and a LAPG on my bedside table, and several cheap atomics scattered around the house.  I know, I know, they’re cheap but they are bright!

But, to be back on topic, I really recommend Olight.  The Warrior I have is rechargeable and very bright.  Lasts a long time too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, jhc77 said:

I bought a Fenix PD35 years ago and have never thought to upgrade it. Fits in your pocket. Great for night walks or lighting up a field. Strobe function as well. It’s still a current model but surely more efficient. 
Middle ground price too at $80. 
https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-v3-0-everyday-carry-flashlight-1700-lumens/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpOO4mv77-wIVDLrICh04cg6REAQYASABEgJ_c_D_BwE

I've carried one of these for years, excellent lights! 👍

• 2 weeks later...

My EDC is a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X. It seems to do the job for me especially at night when walking the dog. The strobe feature is nice. I bought the rechargeable battery for it and can get decent use out of it before having to recharge it. It does seem to take quite a while to charge the battery though.