Need New Carry Flashlight - Suggestions appreciated

I want to let everyone know how much I appreciated all the responses and comments about flashlights. 

Just like guns, we all have our likes and dislikes, but more importantly people have their reasons for what they use and why.

In the end I went with the Streamlight Macro Stream. I bought one in late December, liked it so well I bought another for the car. It suits my style.

It's simple with two light settings and easy to work. Most likely I'll get a third to put on my Saiga 12 ga. as I like having certain equipment to work the same like I carry CZs as they work the same. There's something to be said for not having to think about each individual component in times when rapid deployment is needed.

Again, thanks to all and please continue to use this post and make suggestions. Others will read it and get your good ideas and make their decisions.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 6:18 AM, Capbyrd said:

Currently carrying a Surefire EDCL2-T.  

The next two lights I buy will be the Surefire E2T-MV and the Surefire Stiletto Pro.

I debated a lot on getting that Stiletto, but in the end I went with the Olight Arkfeld, mostly due to size and the aluminum body. I still like the Stiletto. Maybe I'll get to handle both at the NRAAM and compare them side by side.

Surefire is Latin for:   "Too ***** expensive for what it actually does".

Fenix fan here. I bought a PD35 2014 model when it was first released. I've dropped it, submerged it, it fell out of my wrangler once doing 45mph. 2023 and it's still kicking.

Got a PD36 this past Christmas. It's solid as well. Since I have rechargeable batteries for both, i just use them till they die (which isn't often) and swap out while the other charges.

• Like 2
On 1/10/2023 at 3:35 AM, mobhs said:

This is what I carry daily. It is nice and small and surprisingly bright, Fits in my pocket and you forget it is there.image.thumb.jpeg.d32bd1f41ff166e44ddeb9e12c2d0026.jpeg

This is the upgraded version of my first carry light. Sadly, the weak clip caused me to lose it. Otherwise, great little light.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

This is the upgraded version of my first carry light. Sadly, the weak clip caused me to lose it. Otherwise, great little light.

You ain't kidding, great light, that was my go-to light for a while too.

• Administrator

Geez, page two and this hasn't even been posted yet.  TGO is slipping and falling prey to Chinesium products.  🤮

1st Pick: Cloud Defensive
Handheld Lights Archives - Cloud Defensive

2nd Pick: Modlite
Handheld Lights – Modlite Systems

Both of those are lights for people who give a damn about having good tools and don't mind paying more for better quality kit.  If you shop purely based on price, don't bother clicking the links because it might give you a heart attack.

47 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Geez, page two and this hasn't even been posted yet.  TGO is slipping and falling prey to Chinesium products.  🤮

Both of those are lights for people who give a damn about having good tools and don't mind paying more for better quality kit.  If you shop purely based on price, don't bother clicking the links because it might give you a heart attack.

I'm going with David on this one.  I had been carrying the streamlight microstream USB 24/7 for years and just dealt with the fact that they clip sucked and I would lose a few each year, also that the mode would be a crapshoot when I hit the tailcap.  I have been carrying the cloud chicro since they released them a few few months ago, much better clip and better mode interface.  Also utilize cloud on all my rifles and they take a beating right next to the flash hider and keep on trucking.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

I'll pay more for better quality and I'll pay more for American-made. However, I will not pay 3X the price for a plastic flashlight I don't even like better just because it was made here.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, BigK said:

I'll pay more for better quality and I'll pay more for American-made. However, I will not pay 3X the price for a plastic flashlight I don't even like better just because it was made here.

Not all flashlights are created equal.  Cloud Defensive builds hard use lighting here in the USA.  The amount of output from these lights for their size is astounding, and they won't burn your house down like an OLight will.

If another light does what you need, cool.

2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Not all flashlights are created equal.  Cloud Defensive builds hard use lighting here in the USA.  The amount of output from these lights for their size is astounding, and they won't burn your house down like an OLight will.

I've been using Olights for a while and one has yet to burn my house down, LOL.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, BigK said:

I've been using Olights for a while and one has yet to burn my house down, LOL.

Yet!  🙂 

Well, I hope one does NOT do that to you, but there are numerous reports of Olights injuring their owners, catching fire while charging, etc.  If you want to roll those dice, I hope that the odds are always in your favor.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I almost had one burn my truck up. In its sheath, battery had a thermal incident, singed/melted the sheath and burst. Blew out the end of the light. Was lucky it didn’t start a fire. I prefer that if I’m going to be carrying an explosive device, it’s intentional  

Me no likey olight no more. 

• Wow 3
On 12/17/2022 at 8:15 PM, TripleGGG said:

Same for me. I have one by my bed on the nightstand and the other in our motorhome. They are right beside my pistols. The LED upgrade is nice but the "club" factor is the best.

Offtrack a bit, but my wife has an old 3  D-cell Maglight that her Dad gave to her. She loves it. And yes it can easily double for a club. I've tried to get her to try something lighter, but no dice. She loves it. Back in the old days, when we walked at dusk, it was always in her hand. Now resides by the door to blind anyone coming in.

15 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I almost had one burn my truck up. In its sheath, battery had a thermal incident, singed/melted the sheath and burst. Blew out the end of the light. Was lucky it didn’t start a fire. I prefer that if I’m going to be carrying an explosive device, it’s intentional  

Me no likey olight no more. 

Which olight was it?

3 minutes ago, BigK said:

Glad you asked, because I'd heard there were some problems with some lights that used 2X CR123a batteries.

I have the Olight M2R Warrior and I believe its been recalled.  I emailed olight to see what i need to do.  Last thing i need is a fire.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Defender said:

I have the Olight M2R Warrior and I believe its been recalled.  I emailed olight to see what i need to do.  Last thing i need is a fire.

I also had my mouth (inside lips) burned by holding the baton model in my mouth. I didn’t think about the fact that having electric connectors back there would flow juice out the back way when in contact with saliva. This is part of the problem with them. 

The issue with the olight is twofold. First is the charging design through that endplate allows the battery to be shorted to itself. Think like taking a wire and running it from one end of the battery to the other. It’s gonna heat up fast. 

The other is the batteries themselves aren’t of a great quality and tend to have issues controlling heat. It’s a great recipe for what happens enough to have become a meme. Olights get really hot and the batteries blow and/or start fires. 

The best solution is to throw the damn thing away, cut your losses, and buy a better quality light. 

34 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I also had my mouth (inside lips) burned by holding the baton model in my mouth. I didn’t think about the fact that having electric connectors back there would flow juice out the back way when in contact with saliva. This is part of the problem with them. 

The issue with the olight is twofold. First is the charging design through that endplate allows the battery to be shorted to itself. Think like taking a wire and running it from one end of the battery to the other. It’s gonna heat up fast. 

The other is the batteries themselves aren’t of a great quality and tend to have issues controlling heat. It’s a great recipe for what happens enough to have become a meme. Olights get really hot and the batteries blow and/or start fires. 

The best solution is to throw the damn thing away, cut your losses, and buy a better quality light. 

Is this an issue with all olights or just the warrior?