Need New Carry Flashlight - Suggestions appreciated

• Moderators

When I say it’s a meme at this point, this is what I mean by that. 

This is a sticker on the back of my phone. 
qPyEjX4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Defender said:

Well, sh**.

Yeah, it was a hard pill for me to swallow when I got a grasp on the situation. I had multiple of their lights.easily $4-500 worth. They did a bang up job of marketing when they really hit the scene a few years back. 

This is disappointing since I have two Olights. I saw they recalled my Warrior but when I tried, it was going to be a pain. I can't remember the exact details but I ended up just keeping my light. I didn't realize the issue was so wide spread. I love the magnetic tails for working under my truck. 

These Cloud Defensive lights look nice but I'm not paying $250 for a handheld light. There has to be another option I can afford that won't burn down my house. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
29 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

These Cloud Defensive lights look nice but I'm not paying $250 for a handheld light. There has to be another option I can afford that won't burn down my house. 

The Streamlight Pro-Tac 2LX ($60) and Pro-Tac HL-X ($95) have both worked really well for me.

They aren't as rugged as the Cloud Defensive stuff, and they don't put out the same candela or lumens as the Cloud Defensive stuff, but they have held up to a lot of casual carry and use.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Man, I hate China..

3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

When I say it’s a meme at this point, this is what I mean by that. 

This is a sticker on the back of my phone. 
qPyEjX4.jpg

Yeah, it was a hard pill for me to swallow when I got a grasp on the situation. I had multiple of their lights.easily $4-500 worth. They did a bang up job of marketing when they really hit the scene a few years back. 

When i went to their recall web page, the options are store credit, replacement or full refund.  I'm guessing since I didnt buy the light from a store that I will

3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

This is disappointing since I have two Olights. I saw they recalled my Warrior but when I tried, it was going to be a pain. I can't remember the exact details but I ended up just keeping my light. I didn't realize the issue was so wide spread. I love the magnetic tails for working under my truck. 

Like Erik88, above, last time I looked at this it was problematic so I just kept the light.  I just submitted my full refund request.  They sent me a mailing label to return the light so I will send it out later today.  Hopefully they will send me a refund.    I want my money so I can buy a replacement light that's not an olight.  I thought I had a Fenix 35 but just looked and cant find it so i may look at those.  What I did find was a Nitecore MH12 on my bedside table.  Its a pretty good light, but I'm wondering where my Fenix is. I also found my LAPG Tactical Operator L1.  Its also not a terrible light but don't like the way it programs.  I much prefer one that has a separate switch for programming.   Anyway, i digress.  ill update later if i get my refund.

Edited by Defender
22 hours ago, TGO David said:

Geez, page two and this hasn't even been posted yet.  TGO is slipping and falling prey to Chinesium products.  🤮

1st Pick: Cloud Defensive
Handheld Lights Archives - Cloud Defensive

2nd Pick: Modlite
Handheld Lights – Modlite Systems

Both of those are lights for people who give a damn about having good tools and don't mind paying more for better quality kit.  If you shop purely based on price, don't bother clicking the links because it might give you a heart attack.

I get quality 1000%. But I'm not a fan of "top of the line or nothing". I bought this Fenix pd35 years ago, on a whim. I'm not kidding when I say I've beaten the literal hell out of this thing and it keeps on going!

It's most certainly chinesium...but man it's rock solid. I would trust my life with it, no doubt.

For that alone, I can't justify $300+ on a local brand. However, I don't begrudge anyone who does.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
31 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

1 minute ago, TGO David said:

The Streamlight Pro-Tac 2LX ($60) and Pro-Tac HL-X ($95) have both worked really well for me.

They aren't as rugged as the Cloud Defensive stuff, and they don't put out the same candela or lumens as the Cloud Defensive stuff, but they have held up to a lot of casual carry and use.

David beat me to the punch. I really like stream light, another option that a lot of people don’t know about is Goonbeam. They use stream light bodies with different heads to provide the kind of lumens and candela that you get on the higher end, lights like Cloud, or the Surefire Turbos  

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

David beat me to the punch. I really like stream light, another option that a lot of people don’t know about is Goonbeam. They use stream light bodies with different heads to provide the kind of lumens and candela that you get on the higher end, lights like Cloud, or the Surefire Turbos  

Ooo.... I need to check them out.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Moderators
25 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Ooo.... I need to check them out.  Thanks!

You’re welcome. They also do a line of IR lights as well. Only think missing is an IR/WL dual use vampire style version. 

18 hours ago, hipower said:

Offtrack a bit, but my wife has an old 3  D-cell Maglight that her Dad gave to her. She loves it. And yes it can easily double for a club. I've tried to get her to try something lighter, but no dice. She loves it. Back in the old days, when we walked at dusk, it was always in her hand. Now resides by the door to blind anyone coming in.

I still have an old 2 and a 3 D cell Maglight. I converted with their LED conversion, batteries last forever and brighter. I carry the 3 cell in our camper for the same club duel function. By the way a short piece of PVC pipe the diameter that allows a MagLight main body slide in but not the head makes a good hanger by the door when you need one quick. Just drill a couple of holes in the side of the PVC to hang it on the wall, if you want the flashlight to stick up more leave the bottom screw partially out as a stop.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

I still have an old 2 and a 3 D cell Maglight. I converted with their LED conversion, batteries last forever and brighter. I carry the 3 cell in our camper for the same club duel function. By the way a short piece of PVC pipe the diameter that allows a MagLight main body slide in but not the head makes a good hanger by the door when you need one quick. Just drill a couple of holes in the side of the PVC to hang it on the wall, if you want the flashlight to stick up more leave the bottom screw partially out as a stop.

I've seen similar gun mounts. PVC is some versatile stuff.

5 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Good idea. I like that.

• Like 1

I'm looking at a Fenix Fenix E35R High-Performance Rechargeable EDC Flashlight. Is anyone familiar with this model?  Your thoughts?   Also interested in Chucktshoes suggestion about goonbeam.  Does anyone have any suggestions on models?

I went ahead and asked for a refund from Olight on my Warrior. They sent me a return label. Their instructions state to ship it back without the battery which I found amusing. Even they don't want their ####ty battery back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I went ahead and asked for a refund from Olight on my Warrior. They sent me a return label. Their instructions state to ship it back without the battery which I found amusing. Even they don't want their ####ty battery back. 

I mailed mine back yesterday.

• Like 1

I think it was Lucas from T-Rex arms that said there really is no justification for people to use an Olight as long as Streamlight exists.  I have a few of their rifle lights and a couple handheld lights (HL, HL-X) and they have all been great, not the same durability/output as my CD stuff but I trust them more than Olight.

• Like 2
On 4/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, Erik88 said:

Mine got back to them quickly and they were quick to let me know that, followed up by an email that said they’d accepted my return,and would issue a refund forthwith. Haven’t actually got the money yet, snd I asked for it via PayPal. I couldn’t remember his much I’d paid for the light, but seem to remember 100, or so, so I put 105 on the form and they accepted that amount.  So far, while their flashlights kinda scare me, I am impressed with their customer service for sure. Heck, I didn’t even buy it from them directly snd had no receipt.  

2 hours ago, Defender said:

Mine got back to them quickly and they were quick to let me know that, followed up by an email that said they’d accepted my return,and would issue a refund forthwith. Haven’t actually got the money yet, snd I asked for it via PayPal. I couldn’t remember his much I’d paid for the light, but seem to remember 100, or so, so I put 105 on the form and they accepted that amount.  So far, while their flashlights kinda scare me, I am impressed with their customer service for sure. Heck, I didn’t even buy it from them directly snd had no receipt.  

I agree. Their customer service has been good. They accepted mine without a receipt or an order number. I guessed I paid $100 for mine and it's supposed to deliver today. We'll see how quickly they deposit our money. 

• Like 1
On 4/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, Erik88 said:

Where did did you ask for your money to go?  I opted for PayPal, but it hadn’t showed up yet.