What cars have you regretted selling!

The Legion

I don't think I've ever regretted selling a car or truck. I tend to keep 'em until they're plumb used up. As a young man, I never could afford the hot cars. The only muscle car I ever owned was a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger with that wicked little 340 in it. Granted, it was the fastest car I ever owned, but I spent more time fixing that POS than I did driving it. I was happy to see that one go. 

Other than that, my vehicles have always been basic, reliable transportation. My current truck is a 2003 F-150 that I've owned since 2006. It suits me to a "T" and ain't going nowhere. 😉

However, after the first of the year I will be putting up for sale my late wife's car. 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. My wife was disabled and didn't drive it much. For the last 12 years, I've just used it as a spare vehicle. Excellent condition and only 70,000 miles. It has sentimental value, but I just can't justify keeping it any more. Its time for it to go. ☹️

4 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

79 ?

I had your 300's older brother...76 Charger Daytona. Two-tone blue with almost no options but AC on it. Found it on the back lot of the local Chrysler dealer. Loved it immediately. Then I drove it. Some sneaky shop tech dropped a 360 with a 4bbl and a few mods into it for the shop manager's daughter.

Evidently she had a worse leadfoot than I did. It went up for sale and that's where I found it.

Unfortunately for me...and the car, I got slammed on the driver's side right on the wheel. A Toyota HiLux pickup of all things. Totalled the Charger. Broke both frame rails. Put the battery cable back on the post in the Toyota and it drove away.

Edited by hipower

I have a 2012 GMC Acadia. My wife had a rear-ender while taking me to the Emergency Room, on the 21s of Nov, while I was experiencing heart/chest pain. After getting to the E R I had blockage and 4 Stents put in my veins around my heart. I have been battling the insurance company because they want to salvage it. The SUV has 80,000 miles and was in pristine mechanical, and the body was in great condition. Just put new 20" tires, struts, brakes, and a new battery on it.

The Insurance C said TN has a law that if it cost 75% of the book value of the car, they can't fix it. I argued my car was worth more than the average 10 year old car, because of it's excellent condition and low milage, and they should make allowances for the condition. They wouldn't. Finally they relented and they are repairing my Car.  Turned out the car was about 700.00 under the 75% rule and they were trying to shuck me. Shes, insurance! 

My wife loves the car, and so do I. It is her car as I have a Chevy Pickup and another Chevy Trail Blazer. We have owned it for 2 years and it had 70,000 when we purchased it from our neighbor. 

Eddited to add; I would have regretted selling the Acadia. That car sells in the 40,000. range now. Be hard for a 74 Y O retired guy to pay for now. 

Edited by pop pop
add content

2 actually:

1, way back in 87 as a senior in high school, I bought used 76 Merc Capri II with the v6. That car would go and handled like a dream. Embarrased a lot of mustangs and cameros on the local 1/4 mile strip. Sold it while away in the Army. no idea where it is today.

2, And mostly, 67 F100 Ranger, Camper Special. Bought it rust and dent free off a farm Kansas while stationed in Ft. Riley in the mid 90's for a whole $100 smackers, non running and dry-flat tires. trailered it on base to the dismay of my 1SG. Total fluid change, battery, plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, filters, belts, hoses, deep cleaning , case of carb cleaner and engine degreaser at the on-post self mechanic shop and it fired right up. Put some new tires, brakes and a buff job and drove the crap out of that truck a few years while I was there. Got orders for Ft. Bliss, Tx and my mother gifted me her Dodge Shadow for the miliage on long drives so I sold it to a young PFC who needed transportation. The Dodge crapped out on me a year later and found out that PFC totaled the truck driving like an azz hat. Should have given him the Dodge and kept the Ford. I can only imagine how much that truck would be worth now.

Had a 1957 Chevy convertible with the factory 283,  4 barrel. When I went into the military, I sold it for 300.00 cash in 1966. What a jerk!  Seen a turquoise one sell, which was the color of mine with a white rag top, on the Motor Channel Auction for 115,000.00 a few weeks back. 

1985 Honda CRX - means nothing to almost everyone but it was my first car. 

1989 Mercury Grand Marquis.  My mom’s car that i totaled.  Someone ran a light in front of me.  Again, nothing special but I love the panther platform and they don’t make cars like that anymore.  

2010 Mercury Grand Marquis.  My grandfathers car.  I inherited it and traded it for an escape to give to my mom so she could get in and out easier.  Again, I love the panther platform.  

1994 Ford F150.  My dad’s truck. 

1974 Ford Bronco.  Previous owner did a garbage repair on the rockers and I wasn’t in a position to deal with the rust so I sold it. 

2002 Ford Mustang GT.  My race car.  I miss racing.   

2012 Ford F150.   Sold it because I wanted to pay some bills.  Then truck prices skyrocketed and I’m priced out of a decent truck.  I miss my truck. 

• Like 1
On 12/16/2022 at 6:08 PM, Whisper said:

Do you mean it was your first car with AC?  Pontiac offered AC in some models beginning in 1954.  A few top-line Packards had it several years before then.

Cheers,

Whisper

Yea I meant it was the first car I ever had with A/C. My father had a '64 or 65 Caddy convertible with A/C, coolest car ever-lol.

Many have commented in this thread about how dumb it was to sell their, lets say 1966 Mustang or (insert your older cars here-lol) for $900 because they are worth so much today. But lets not forget, thats just what those cars sold for back in the day. I sold my 1967 Chevelle for $1200 in about 1974 or 75. Bought a 1970 Chevelle 454 for $1500. Drove that car into the ground and probably got less than that for it-lol. But, that was a lot of money for a high school kid working part time after school for $3.50/hr. Its all relative. Same as gun prices. Hell, I bought a new Smith 37 nickel for around $200, and a Colt Mustang Pocketlite for about the same. Still have them actually.

4 hours ago, garrett001 said:

My grandfathers 2000 GMC Sierra not a high demand or popular car. I just remember him buying it new and bring it over to show us. Now I wish we still had it. 

I never got to know my grandfather's but can for sure understand the sentimentality of it.  I do however own a 1999 and a 2000 Silverado and they are great trucks. The other day I saw the old guy in the neighborhood having his roughly 2000 GMC Sierra model 4x4 towed away and it's never came back, I would have loved to had that one too.  Probably didn't get much for it.

4 hours ago, garrett001 said:

My grandfathers 2000 GMC Sierra not a high demand or popular car. I just remember him buying it new and bring it over to show us. Now I wish we still had it. 

My grandfather had a show ready, all original 1972 Chevy pickup with 100k miles, factory air, factory paint, factory everything…like friggin new!!! He was talking about selling it. I told him I’d buy it. He wouldn’t sell it to me as it was old and might not be reliable.🥵

He pulled it out by the road on Charlotte Pike where they lived with a for sale sign on it that had a price of $3500. He didn’t make it back to the house before somebody stopped and bought it!

He later bought a 73 Chevy pickup in the same condition. Probably the only one left in the world that wasn’t rusted out. He later offered to sell it to me. I declined. I don’t think I ever successfully made him understand the difference.

5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

1985 Honda CRX - means nothing to almost everyone but it was my first car. 

1989 Mercury Grand Marquis.  My mom’s car that i totaled.  Someone ran a light in front of me.  Again, nothing special but I love the panther platform and they don’t make cars like that anymore.  

2010 Mercury Grand Marquis.  My grandfathers car.  I inherited it and traded it for an escape to give to my mom so she could get in and out easier.  Again, I love the panther platform.  

1994 Ford F150.  My dad’s truck. 

1974 Ford Bronco.  Previous owner did a garbage repair on the rockers and I wasn’t in a position to deal with the rust so I sold it. 

2002 Ford Mustang GT.  My race car.  I miss racing.   

2012 Ford F150.   Sold it because I wanted to pay some bills.  Then truck prices skyrocketed and I’m priced out of a decent truck.  I miss my truck. 

I should have bought a CRX back in the day. The guys that tuned on them sure did seem to raise some hell.

• Like 1

I bought my bosses '71 Cutlass W25 package for $2K back in about 1979 or '80. That medium Olds blue with matching rims, quick change rear end, his n hers Hurst dual gate automatic, factory power everything, factory 8 track (!), dark blue vinyl top and the hood with the triangular flush lock-down pins and functional dual hood scoops. FUN car and plenty fast enough for me at the time. It was falling apart faster then my stock clerk's paycheck could keep up and still keep a Gatlinburg red head in the style she was accustomed to...

So it left the driveway in Sevierville in early '83, for the princely sum of a whole $1300...

Yeah.

2 hours ago, Gunner2k said:

I never got to know my grandfather's but can for sure understand the sentimentality of it.  I do however own a 1999 and a 2000 Silverado and they are great trucks. The other day I saw the old guy in the neighborhood having his roughly 2000 GMC Sierra model 4x4 towed away and it's never came back, I would have loved to had that one too.  Probably didn't get much for it.

I loved that truck! I remember him asking me to ride with him to the store and he HAD to drive just so we got to ride in the truck. I’ve been searching for years to try and track it down, but it’s almost as hard as finding a needle in a haystack. 

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

My grandfather had a show ready, all original 1972 Chevy pickup with 100k miles, factory air, factory paint, factory everything…like friggin new!!! He was talking about selling it. I told him I’d buy it. He wouldn’t sell it to me as it was old and might not be reliable.🥵

He pulled it out by the road on Charlotte Pike where they lived with a for sale sign on it that had a price of $3500. He didn’t make it back to the house before somebody stopped and bought it!

He later bought a 73 Chevy pickup in the same condition. Probably the only one left in the world that wasn’t rusted out. He later offered to sell it to me. I declined. I don’t think I ever successfully made him understand the difference.

Oh my. I couldn’t imagine having a 73 or even a 72 today. My farther had something similar when i was younger. He sold it for a little more than what he gave for it. He talks about how much he wished he still had it today. 

On 12/17/2022 at 7:30 AM, pop pop said:

I have a 2012 GMC Acadia. My wife had a rear-ender while taking me to the Emergency Room, on the 21s of Nov, while I was experiencing heart/chest pain. After getting to the E R I had blockage and 4 Stents put in my veins around my heart. I have been battling the insurance company because they want to salvage it. The SUV has 80,000 miles and was in pristine mechanical, and the body was in great condition. Just put new 20" tires, struts, brakes, and a new battery on it.

The Insurance C said TN has a law that if it cost 75% of the book value of the car, they can't fix it. I argued my car was worth more than the average 10 year old car, because of it's excellent condition and low milage, and they should make allowances for the condition. They wouldn't. Finally they relented and they are repairing my Car.  Turned out the car was about 700.00 under the 75% rule and they were trying to shuck me. Shes, insurance! 

My wife loves the car, and so do I. It is her car as I have a Chevy Pickup and another Chevy Trail Blazer. We have owned it for 2 years and it had 70,000 when we purchased it from our neighbor. 

Eddited to add; I would have regretted selling the Acadia. That car sells in the 40,000. range now. Be hard for a 74 Y O retired guy to pay for now. 

I hate how that is the way that insurance is done in a way that a car in your instance is still in nice condition, and is worth more than what the books is stating, yet they inform you that it won’t be covered. 

• 1 month later...

I have had to change my shirt twice while reading these posts from all the drooling I have been doing.....LOL. There are a bunch of great machines shown here and other great ones mentioned. I have always been a Mopar guy since I was a kid and my first car was a 1965 Hurst package Plymouth Barracuda That I parked when I shipped out and my father would drive it from time to time and I had it when I got home but was married and starting a family so it had to go. I didn't give up on muscle cars though. my next car was a Plymouth Fury 4door family car with a 440 with twin 4 carbs that were added after I got it. It was an unmarked Highway patrol radar car I bought that was sitting on the back row of a Ford dealer used lot and they gave me a price I could not refuse.....LOL.

My toy was a 1977 Dodge Ram Charger for play in the mud off road. I joined an off road club called The Dixie Mud Hogs and we would hold Off road rallies and campouts with families. The good ole days!!! This thread has brought back some great memories!!!!

3 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

In order of greatest regret;

1972 FJ40 Landcruiser
1972 Nova 
1988 CRX Si
1987 CRX Si 

And I sure regret putting that 1st gen RX7 into the wall at Memphis Motorsports Park back in the early 90's. Totaled it and rang my bell pretty well. 

Got any pics of the CRXs?  My first car was a 85 CRX.   I had an 88 that I was building into a track car but a friend flipped his 89 hatch so I gave him the CRX shell so he could get back on the road.  

Also, I miss MMP so much and it's only been less than a year.  So sad. 

Edited by Capbyrd

My father-in-law and I went together and bought a 1969 RS/SS Camaro.  It was blue, convertible, 4-speed.  Sold it when my oldest son was 3 due to getting scared of having him in it without seatbelt (it did have lap belts).  Had it for little over 5 years.  Really wished we would just put it up and not tried to drive at all.  I always said I would get another one day.  Both sons are grown now but those cars are whole lot more than I could come up with at this time.