Remington 700

azboater

28 minutes ago, azboater said:

I'm getting one for christmas in .270. Any good advice for this rifle? It will be my first one. I plan to sight it in the afternoon of xmas or the day after then hopefully hunt.

I had one years ago. Great all around caliber. I used 130 gr ammo in mine ( reloads). Never had a deer get up & call time out.

Great rifles. I have several but don’t own a 270. My granddaughter killed two doe with hers last year. The best part is they were standing side by side and she killed them with one shot. To say it’s plenty to kill whitetail is an understatement. Merry Christmas 

Classic rifle & cartridge combo; congratulations! Remington 700s are very strong actions with a super quick locktime. The .270 Win is the perfect combination of flat shooting & hard-hitting without being too punishing to the trigger puller. As for advice, sight in 1.8" high at 100 yards and you can hit exactly at your point of aim (plus or minus 2 inches) out to 250 yards.

Merry Christmas to you!

You know, while I live in the country, have a horse farm and love shooting, I have never hunted, (go figure).

Anyway, it seems that the 270 is one of the most popular deer hunting rounds.  I suppose it packs the necessary knock down power combined with a good flat trajectory.  Am I correct on those being the traits that are most valued?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Choatecav said:

<snipped stuff> Anyway, it seems that the 270 is one of the most popular deer hunting rounds.  I suppose it packs the necessary knock down power combined with a good flat trajectory.  Am I correct on those being the traits that are most valued?

I would agree with that assessment. It kicks less than the .30-06, too, which is a plus as we 'mature' & recoil becomes more bothersome.

I had a .270 Remington and it was one of the most accurate rifles I have owned. I handloaded 60 grains of H4831 Hodgdon powder with 130 grain Sierra flat base or boat tail bullets and off bench u do your part at 100 yards I could get 3 shot group all touching. Action and barrel were freefloated by me.  Google Jack O’Conner 270 he made it famous. 

I still have a soft spot for the 30 06. Gave my last one, a Weatherby Vanguard 1, to a grandson for a Christmas present several years back. He will not use it and uses his dad's 270 because he says the Weatherby is too pretty to scratch up.  It was like new when I gave it to him. He likes Remington Cor-lokts ammo also. I gave him 100 rounds of 165Gr C-L for his 06. 

On 12/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, JimFromTN said:

I have a rem 700 sps in 270.  It is far more accurate that I am with cheap factory rounds back when they were cheap.  I have been hunting with 150gr core-lokts for years.  If you plan on hunting much out past 250yds, use premium ammo and practice.   

Will do, thanks and i really appreciate it.

Go by WalMart, or wherever, and pick up some cheap, 130 grain ammo. Remington Core-Loct was the gold standard. I’m not sure now.

Get some mounts, rings, and the best lower power, variable scope your budget will allow. Mount it properly, sight it in, and kill deers!!!

13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I've killed a bunch of deer with a .270.  .A 270 was my first deer rifle over 25 years ago.  I've tried about every bullet on the market.  Years ago the Winchester Silver Tips were great.  About 10 years ago something changed and they didn't do as good of a job.  Most recently I've run Hornady American Whitetail 130 gn with good success and it's a pretty budget friendly round. 

I've had two bad experiences with Remington Core-Lokt in .270.  One was probably the biggest buck I ever shot at.  I found a 2" long chunk of rib bone on the ground where I shot it, but the deer made it to a river and drowned. I spent several hours in a pair of leaky waders with yeppers in the teens trying to find that deer unsuccessfully.  The second issue was a small buck at 20 or so yards.  Didn't even act like he was hit.  Slowly walked in around the tree that I was in and I put another one in him.  Upon inspection I had hit where I was aiming both times.  I've used Core-Loct in other bigger slower calibers, such as 30-30 with much success.  

As my rifle collection has grown and my hunting locations have dwindled I find myself leaving the .270 in the safe in favor of other guns.  Mostly because my .270 is set up to shoot longer distances and I'm not seeing those distances in most of my hunting situations currently.  The caliber excels in the 100-300 yard range, and 300 is my personal limit.  Depending on the round, you will typically see around 6 inches of drop at 300 yards, and another 10 inches at 400.  (Hint: a 200 yard zero will put you 1.5" high at 100 yards.  A 200 yard zero will put you in the kill zone anywhere from point blank to 300 yards with minimal holdover.) I'm running a 6.5x20x50 scope, which makes 300 yard shots fairly easy.  I have found that under 100 yards and particularly under 50 yards I have not had good experiences with a .270.  The majority of deer I've killed in the 100-300 range have dropped.  While the majority of deer I've shot with a .270 at under 50 yards have run a good ways.  I attribute this to the bullet moving too fast and not expanding. I suspect a heavier bullet moving slower would remedy the situation, but I haven't messed with it, as I carry something like a 45-70 or a 12 ga slug gun when hunting in those situations. 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Congrats on the new 700 remington in .270, its a very accurate gun and the .270 is used by several long term hunting buds with great success over the years!  Its a flatter shooting caliber than my 30-06 but the .270 is a very capable deer cartridge.  If you will be shooting deer at over 100 yards stick with the lighter 130 ish grain cartridges that are faster fps velocity and flatter trajectory, but inside 100 yards go with the slower 150 grain cartridges that will give the bullet a bit more time to expand upon impact with a deer's vitals.  Two friends that use the 700 shooting .270 at closer ranges we experience at our hunting lease have had to switch to the 150 grain cartridges due to not optimal expansion with 130 grain (good killing shots but requiring follow up shots on larger bucks).  Good luck and hope this helps!  

On 12/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, JimFromTN said:

I have a rem 700 sps in 270.  It is far more accurate that I am with cheap factory rounds back when they were cheap.  I have been hunting with 150gr core-lokts for years.  If you plan on hunting much out past 250yds, use premium ammo and practice.   

This is great advice!  thanks

On 12/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, 10-Ring said:

I've killed a bunch of deer with a .270.  .A 270 was my first deer rifle over 25 years ago.  I've tried about every bullet on the market.  Years ago the Winchester Silver Tips were great.  About 10 years ago something changed and they didn't do as good of a job.  Most recently I've run Hornady American Whitetail 130 gn with good success and it's a pretty budget friendly round. 

I've had two bad experiences with Remington Core-Lokt in .270.  One was probably the biggest buck I ever shot at.  I found a 2" long chunk of rib bone on the ground where I shot it, but the deer made it to a river and drowned. I spent several hours in a pair of leaky waders with yeppers in the teens trying to find that deer unsuccessfully.  The second issue was a small buck at 20 or so yards.  Didn't even act like he was hit.  Slowly walked in around the tree that I was in and I put another one in him.  Upon inspection I had hit where I was aiming both times.  I've used Core-Loct in other bigger slower calibers, such as 30-30 with much success.  

As my rifle collection has grown and my hunting locations have dwindled I find myself leaving the .270 in the safe in favor of other guns.  Mostly because my .270 is set up to shoot longer distances and I'm not seeing those distances in most of my hunting situations currently.  The caliber excels in the 100-300 yard range, and 300 is my personal limit.  Depending on the round, you will typically see around 6 inches of drop at 300 yards, and another 10 inches at 400.  (Hint: a 200 yard zero will put you 1.5" high at 100 yards.  A 200 yard zero will put you in the kill zone anywhere from point blank to 300 yards with minimal holdover.) I'm running a 6.5x20x50 scope, which makes 300 yard shots fairly easy.  I have found that under 100 yards and particularly under 50 yards I have not had good experiences with a .270.  The majority of deer I've killed in the 100-300 range have dropped.  While the majority of deer I've shot with a .270 at under 50 yards have run a good ways.  I attribute this to the bullet moving too fast and not expanding. I suspect a heavier bullet moving slower would remedy the situation, but I haven't messed with it, as I carry something like a 45-70 or a 12 ga slug gun when hunting in those situations. 

This is great advice and I've had friends that I hunt lease property with also not have great bullet expansion at close in range shooting the 130 grain Hornady round you mentioned in the .270, we agreed that the lighter and faster 130 is better suited for over 100 yard shots at deer and the slower and heavier 150 grain would be best at the closer ranges.  One buddy took a huge 182" Boone & Crockett in 2020 and it took him putting 4 of the 130 grain bullets through the bucks boiler room, all inside 45 yards to put the deer down for good!  And yes we caped the deer out and confirmed all 4 bullets entry and exit holes were through the deers vital chest cavity.   Long story short the .270 guys have switched to the heavier weight .270 cartridges with better success since.

Edited by MidTNhunter
added content