Ever can deer meat?

Venison was the first meat I pressure canned. Very tender, even the tougher cuts, and delicious.

Alas, I no longer hunt nor have family that do so, but I pressure canned a couple of very low priced briskets this past March.

The brisket was/is extremely tender and tasty and great to have for quick meals. The same for turkey, chicken, and pork.

Those jar look great Greg!

• Like 1

After experimentation of helping sizes for 2 people for 1 meal, my lovely wife uses pint jars.

Now, a pack of those dried mashed potatoes, a pack of dried gravy, and a pint jar of deer meat ...
A bit of water, 10 minutes prep time and you're eating!

She has also done beef/pork meat.
It's all tasty.
Enjoy!

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, DL126 said:

After experimentation of helping sizes for 2 people for 1 meal, my lovely wife uses pint jars.

Now, a pack of those dried mashed potatoes, a pack of dried gravy, and a pint jar of deer meat ...
A bit of water, 10 minutes prep time and you're eating!

She has also done beef/pork meat.
It's all tasty.
Enjoy!

We went with the pint jars as well.

• Admin Team
14 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I have to say, meat in a jar is just one of those things I will have to leave to other people to tell me how good it is 😀.

Meat is one of those things that you probably shouldn't put first on your canning list.  You definitely need to have your canning safety squared away first.

But, protein is a precious commodity. It's a good skill to have.

I grew up with people who would pressure can chicken every time it went on sale.  It's quite good in recipes - more or less perfectly braised, tender meat.

• Like 3

@MacGyver is right. You need to be really meticulous and strictly follow pressure canning procedures with meat.

But it's not really difficult.

I'll try an add some pics below.

I was given around 20 pounds of chicken gizzards and hearts earlier this year. These are great canned for Gizzards & Rice and worked really well in giblet gravy at Thanksgiving.

There's a lot of fat to cut off a brisket. I just rendered the fat into beef tallow and put it up in jars. I did not pressure can the tallow. I keep one jar in the fridge and another jar out to cook with.

I have canned Hot chicken wings before even. The bones even get tender.🙂

FWIW I have a glass top stove and it's rated Safe for canning both in the owners manual and the manufactures website.

Brisket 2.jpg

Brisket 4.jpg

Gizzards and hearts 1.jpg

Gizzards and hearts 3.jpg

• Like 2

Just got into pressure canning this year, have done chicken and beef stew as well as a handful of other veggies.  It's a fun skill to have and a good way to put away some food for later use.  Did a few batches of candied jalapenos as well and they have been mighty tasty.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...