Its started.

Grayfox54

We ended up with just enough snow to cover the ground, but not really measurable.  Legion's picture pretty much shows it. But its also just the kind of stuff to crust over into a nice sheet of ice. Be careful out there. 

I was born and raised in the Memphis area. As a kid I remember getting measurable amounts of snow pretty much every year. Usually about 6" or more. I also remember snow hanging around for several days, even a week. I remember the weekend before Christmas of 1963. I was 9 years old.  We were at my Grandparent's farm near Quito for the yearly Christmas family gathering and got hit with 13" of snow. What would usually have been about a 45 minute drive home took 3 hours! 😵 

I also remember many miserable, cold, snowy days and being out in the streets when I was working for the City.  

Yep, I really like global warming and climate change. I much prefer my snow to just be memories. 😉

13 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Not too crazy yet in Nashvegas. At least near me.  The Kroger seems normal for just before Christmas. 

Don't get near any of the Inglewood/Gallatin Road Kroger stores. You'll get trampled. Don't know what it is that makes people, me included, get that "gotta get food now" syndrome when the S word comes around. 

But I'm getting better with it nowadays. Pretty well stocked, just a bit low on my bagels and cream cheese.

• Like 1

I left mine set to 60, which is as low as they can be set, overnight. This morning I turned them up to my normal 72. I have a mini-split system, and I was quite concerned that it wouldn't function at or near zero degrees, but I have warm air coming out now at -5.  I left all the faucets dripping last night, and they're flowing fine this morning. I'll keep them dripping for the next couple of days. 

I brought my dog inside [the garage] for the first time ever last night and, miraculously, she didn't poop in the crate. She was uninterested in going outside this morning, though, so poop may be in my forecast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have electricity, but a lot of folks up this way don’t this morning. Our electric company claims it to is due to a system overload. I’m still unsure how it’s going to work once we all have a couple of electric cars charging on top of what we normally use.

• Like 1

Loosing electricity for a bit was my primary concern. Thankfully that didn't happen.

I'm mostly retired (no more Hospital work) so I have the luxury of staying home now.

I'm in West Knoxville (Farragut) and we tend to loose power frequently when it snows, but usually only for 4-6 hours.

It's 7 degrees outside but looks like we had only scant flurries last night.

I ran my little Honda generator a bit last week and topped it off with gas. Just normal maintenance.

I have a couple of Big Buddy heaters and had to run one for a few hours with the snow last March. I'd highly recommend them if anyone is interested.

Link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-Big-Buddy-18-000-BTU-Radiant-Propane-Space-Heather-MH18B/309243646

Those that have to work out in this please be careful and take care. I spent several decades weathering storms, ice, snow and hurricanes related to getting to or being at work. My empathy and appreciation to you folks.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Big Buddy propane heater.jpg

11 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

It is -6 outside my "mobile office". I have 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts on along with my regular gear and the air still goes through them. A few minutes down and 11 hours to go. 

20221223_074714.jpg

20221223_074723.jpg

I've got 2 more to go. 50 feet over the Cumberland river sucks right now. 

32 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I have a couple of Big Buddy heaters and had to run one for a few hours with the snow last March. I'd highly recommend them if anyone is interested.

I just picked up one of the smaller ones on sale yesterday at Northern Tool. I wanted something to create heat in case we lost power. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I just picked up one of the smaller ones on sale yesterday at Northern Tool. I wanted something to create heat in case we lost power. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet. 

I have 2 of them Erik. They're a great value imho. And they are pretty fuel efficient.

We just had a power surge at work and lost 3 of 4 heaters on the roof of the warehouse. The roof is only 50 plus feet off the ground.

So guess who gets to play outside this morning? 

Edited by Verne
  • Wow 1

My daughter has a horse farm. I went out, at 9:00 A M with grandson, to help her get ready for the cold. Already put 2 heat lamps in her well house the day before. She has water this morning, so we were good in not freezing. Started our day by going to Kroger, Franklin Road Murfreesboro, yesterday morning and had to wait in line to check out for 20 minutes. Lines were backed up 15 deep at every checkout and the self-check outs had 25 to 30 people at both S-C-Os. Daughter didn't have time to go get her food. 

Got on her John Deer and put some rock in her feeding areas, has 12 horses, to elevate a mud problem. She then wanted to put out another round bail of hay so I drove to Co Op at Eagleville, and they did not have a hay cradle so put the round bale on a flat rock. She wanted and extra bail out because her tractor will be extremely hard to start at 0. 

Finished that so then she wanted me to drive to the "Boro" Pet Smart and purchase dog and cat food, and another 48" dog crate, and a large Igloo doghouse for a new Black Lab she got recently.  Did this and then did her night feeding on pasture horses while she drove to Barney's Barnyard in college Grove to purchase horse feed for the cold spell. 

I got home at 7:00 P M and was totally exhausted. Had to ice down my back and neck because of lifting heavy stuff all day long. Did get some good rest last night and got up to o at 6:00 this morning. Have a plan on staying in for the duration of cold weather until Sunday church.  Still will be cold but God comes first in our life. Will gladly get out to go worship Him come Sunday. 

Very long hard day for us yesterday. Wife was out helping also.  Long day for a 74 Y O, but what are good fathers for?

• Like 5

We lost power at the house this morning. 

I stoked the fire in the living room fireplace and carried in two loads of wood.  I got out our sleeping bags.  Then I gathered the wife, daughter, dog, and cat into the living room and nailed up blankets over the doorways so we were only heating that room. 

When the power came back on 40 minutes later, I could have felt goofy.  Instead, I just felt grateful. Y'all stay safe.  And merry Christmas!

• Like 1