Its started.

Grayfox54

16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Across the state or just in certain areas?

Definitely our area.聽 KUB and LCUB both are doing it.聽 We lost power at noon for about 15-20 minutes.聽 No idea how long this is supposed to go on.

https://www.wvlt.tv/2022/12/23/east-tennessee-see-rolling-blackouts-amid-arctic-freeze/

BTW, this is intolerable.

Edited by Garufa

Well, it is better than having a grid failure.聽

I agree that the infrastructure should be better and be able to handle times like these. It it were, these measures would not be needed. But I wood rather loose power for 20 min every hour and a half, than loose it for hours.

My daughter, in her infinite wisdom, turned the furnace off last night because she was hot. It was 50 in the house when I got up at 7. It is just now getting up into the upper 60鈥檚.聽

7 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Well, it is better than having a grid failure.聽

I agree that the infrastructure should be better and be able to handle times like these. It it were, these measures would not be needed.

Yeah, and the government wants to mandate electric cars.聽 聽Bunch of morons.聽聽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Wife works nights and worked last night and works tonight.聽 She got a hotel room next to her hospital instead of making the drive.聽 I got out this morning and drove from Lebanon to downtown Nashville to pick up a friend that works nightshift.聽 By far the roads are worse than I've ever seen in Middle Tennessee.聽 Couple of pictures from that adventure.聽

PXL_20221223_141501461.jpg

PXL_20221223_160811525.jpg

16 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm sure it's happened before but I can't remember temps this cold in a long time.聽

If I'm on a slab, do I still need to let sinks run a little?聽

One thing to consider is time. It was nearly 50 deg yesterday. With mass of the concrete slab, the house sitting on it insulating/warming it, how little of it is actually exposed to the outside air, the ground underneath that is also about 50 deg, it will take a long time for the concrete to cool to below freezing. I haven't done the math, but my hunch is several days before you've got anything to worry about.聽

Last time it got this cold (single digits), I was freaking out about my pipes freezing. I climbed into my crawlspace with a thermometer and about 1 ft inside the block wall the air temp was still 35-37deg.聽 Very low risk of freezing.聽

That said, letting the water drip is a safe thing to do. Pick the line that's the furthest from where the water comes in and let it drip, both hot and cold. Or just run it for 10 seconds every couple hours.聽

• Like 1

Reminds me of being in the USAF stationed at northern tier bases. In addition to long stints in England and Germany, I spent a couple years in upstate New York, a couple years in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and a year well inside the Arctic Circle at Thule,聽 Greenland.聽 Only went outside this morning to get the ice to spread on the porch steps and the w9ind was bitter, but without all the snow!聽 Certainly reminded me of those other cold places, but i keep reminding myself it was way worse there.聽 Thule was the worst, with storms blowing in that were so bad that going outdoors meant death.聽 The UP was pretty bad too.聽 there were times I couldn't even open my house doors because of the deep snow.聽 I kept a snow shovel outside and had to climb out a second story roof many times and jump off into the snow that was almost over my head, make my way to the garage and shovel to get my Ramcharger out.聽 Since I'm old now, this seems just as bad, lmao.

\We've had one ten minute power cut this morning in Goodlettsville.

Edited by Defender

Tonight will be more likely than Friday night to freeze pipes. The ground and buildings were warmer yesterday, but after a day of below 10 degrees the ground will be feeling the effects.

If you're a dripper, be sure and drip tonight.

3 hours ago, jeff43 said:

Did any of y鈥檃ll have any of your windows freeze around the bottom of the frame where it sweats?

The man-door to my barn was frozen shut this morning. I had pour a bucket of hot water around the frame to get it to open, and of course that water froze in 15 minutes. But I unlatched the roll-up door so I can get back in tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to stop complaining about 34 degree mornings.

11 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Not sure. I would guess across the Valley, but possibility more in power intensive areas. TBH, my wife looked it up, not me. 馃槵

I vaguely heard the brown out mentioned last night and really didn't think much about it this morning around 10:30 or so when our power went down. I was on the phone so I really didn't time it, but power came back up as I was still talking.

So I guess we were a part of it here in East Nashville/Inglewood area.

1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Going to the Titan's game tomorrow, God help me!

Wifey and I did 3 of the cold weather games during the ONE good season the Titans had. Father in law had a limo drive us in for the Cowboys game and we were so bundled up that it was really hard to get in and out of the limo. Had so many layers on that my already wide butt almost couldn't get into the seat. I think I spent most of the game running for the hot chocolate we drank all night. It was still brutal.

I have tickets, my dad and I have sat in the same seats since the first season at the Coliseum. We saw the Music City Miracle and have sat though many a cold game. But Dad is 83 now and sitting in sub-20deg weather with close to a single didget windchill is not something either of us want him to do.聽

If someone wants some tickets for tomorrow, PM me.聽

Well at 0655 I've experienced my first blackout of this event.聽

Thankfully my coffee just finished brewing,聽 and I just finished my first cup of said coffee.聽

Have several Streamlight lanterns turned on and a fully charged phone.聽

Guess I'll have another cup of coffee.聽

Life is good.聽

Be safe folks.

• Like 1