Knoxville Rural King Employee Killed by Shoplifter

Garufa

17 minutes ago, Darrell said:

I suppose that everyone has to make their own judgement about this kind of thing, but I don't want to see a world (San Francisco for example) where it's okay to steal. I see it as being less about the stolen merchandise than it is about a civil society. If a store decides to just let people walk out with whatever they can carry, the cost is transferred to the rest of us, even if it is a tax write-off. 

I think we've all seen videos of gangs of organized thieves going into a store and taking everything they can carry. I don't want our country to be like that. And while I agree 100% that it's tragic that the RK employee was killed, I admire him for having the courage and conviction to do his part to slow the downward slide we find ourselves in.

I agree completely, perhaps society was a little more civil then.  There’s tech available now  that dramatically reduces the risk of personal injury. 

25 minutes ago, Darrell said:

I suppose that everyone has to make their own judgement about this kind of thing, but I don't want to see a world (San Francisco for example) where it's okay to steal. I see it as being less about the stolen merchandise than it is about a civil society. If a store decides to just let people walk out with whatever they can carry, the cost is transferred to the rest of us, even if it is a tax write-off. 

I think we've all seen videos of gangs of organized thieves going into a store and taking everything they can carry. I don't want our country to be like that. And while I agree 100% that it's tragic that the RK employee was killed, I admire him for having the courage and conviction to do his part to slow the downward slide we find ourselves in.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it.  Lot of facets there.  When I left the profession in 2010 the policy had changed from "get then back in the store by any means necessary" to "ask them politely to give back in the store and if they decline, get as much information as possible but let them go".  I too would hate to see a society where it's acceptable to just walk out of a store with whatever you want. But our society has become so litigious that retailers have found that it's cheaper to let the merchandise walk.  Of course the alternative is to lock up high risk merchandise.  I hate going into a retail store more than about anything, but I especially hate the thought of having to track down a key holder to make a purchase.  There are no winners here other than the thieves. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 12/23/2022 at 2:12 AM, hipower said:

My first thought was for the opposite condition. But just maybe being caught and tried will provide some answers and a bit of solace for the victim's family.

Naw, they would be better off with him receiving a change of status.  Assuming he's convicted and the family stays informed, he'll start getting parole hearings in six or eight years and be out in 12 or 15.  That wears on a family if they keep up with the guy while he's locked up.  

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

My exploits apprehending shoplifters when I worked at Walgreens in Memphis were famous around these parts at one time. 😂😂

It was a fun time. 

1 hour ago, Links2k said:

You’re still a legend. Much respect. 

I can only vaguely remember the details. Something about you getting in trouble with Walgreens corporate. 

5 hours ago, RED333 said:

Praying for the family of the lost young man, Tristan M. Smith, 23, of Powell.

As far as the killer, hope he rots in jail, then burns in hell!

Tristan is the third son this family has lost in the last four years. 

I’ll be honest with you all, I’d rather seen this piece of trash walk out with the ammunition and bungee cords he stole, rather than this young man be shot and killed over such trivial stuff. Tristan’s life wasn’t worth the price of that stuff. Law and order be damned. 😞

• Like 1

I've been following this thread and honestly, I just don't know what to say. It seems that human life has no value anymore. Taking a life over petty theft?  What does that say about us as a society? 

In this case, I hope all those terrible stories you hear about what happens to young, pretty boys in prison are true. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2
On 12/24/2022 at 1:22 PM, Chucktshoes said:

My exploits apprehending shoplifters when I worked at Walgreens in Memphis were famous around these parts at one time. 😂😂

It was a fun time. 

I remember it like it was yesterday! Perhaps somebody less computer illiterate could go into the way back machine and bump that post to the top for posterity. It is indeed a classic!

The problem with the judicial today is in most cases the charge does not fit the crime. This punk took another humans life during the commission of a crime and got charged with 2nd degree murder. It should have been 1st degree murder. Then we have all these bleeding heart liberals in position to grant pardons to criminals that don't deserve one regardless how hard the family of the victim fight to keep them locked upped. If a bad guy is sentenced to 10 years or 20 years they should serve everyday of the sentence.....JMHO

• Thanks 2

I hate that a family lost someone when they should have been celebrating together.  There's just nothing to soothe that.

The fine line between keeping society civil and protecting your own life is murky sometimes.  I don't want to see the San Francisco scenario.  But I also would never say retail stores meet the market for risking your life over.  Your family, friends, and country are worth dying for... inventory isn't.

Even if your preferred measure of justice is served, there is nothing good in this. 

• Like 2