This is about the 80% again

Probably not. The ruling from the ATF I posted in your other thread is all about "engaged in the business of". But like Dustbuster said, that's a question for a lawyer.

Notice that it also includes the use by an individual of the tools used by the person engaged in the business. That part of the rule stems from a CnC shop out in California that was setting up their CnC mills where a customer could come in and put their 80% lower in the machine then the customer would press the button to start the machine and out comes their completed lower. The shop was technically renting out their CnC machines, but the ATF ruling says that's close enough to manufacturing to need and FFL 07. So paying to use someone else's tools also runs afoul of the ruling.

The whole 80% lower thing is sticky and getting stickier with each passing ruling. The ATF is doing whatever they can to stop them. Personally, I wouldn't touch one for someone else with a Grinch-sized 39 1/2 foot pole.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Yea thanks for actually talking to me about it everyone else acts like I'm a ####ing fed trying to trap them I mean I have a lot of tools I just don't have a drill press do you think if I got the side plates I could do it all with a Dremel cause I got the 4300 series Dremel and the Dremel drill press but it's not like a real drill press

Dremels are very versatile and you can do a lot with them.  With that said I have not done a 80% lower so I am not sure.  I would bet you could just based on everything I have used a dremel for but it is just a guess.

Edited by KahrMan

Many years ago I did a polymer lower and there's no way I could have accomplished it using a dremel tool.  Not saying you can't, but it was tough enough with a drill press. The right tool is a milling machine.

I hope you won't fault folks here for being very leery of a post like your original. I sure wouldn't want the ATF to decide to make an example of me! The political situation is such that I want to stay well behind "the line" when it comes to firearms.