Any AK/ComBloc, BuildersGunsmiths in Middle TN?

GS455

I was at Guns n Leather yesterday talking to the smith about getting better stock bedding on a 54r Vepr currently wearing an Ironwood Designs stock set that continually works itself loose.  Anyway, this rifle has had bizarre good/poor accuracy issues since I've owned it and after trying much I was hoping to get a very knowledgeable AK guy take a look at it.  One of the guys at the counter said a guy comes in a couple times/yr (wi a heavy foreign accent) buying some expensive accessories/parts for AK type rifles and that the guy is a builder in Nashville.

Anyway,  looking to find a builder type in town to take a look at this girl.

Yea my PSL isn't exactly a tack-driver either.  Do you have an acct on the AKFiles?  The long saga is reviewed here....

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/my-54r-vepr-woes.442967/

I am in the process of getting the stock hopefully better bedded.  The Ironwood Design (RIP) stock set I have only has two top screws (tang and in rear of receiver) and clearly is not enough o keep it tight.

Edited by GS455
Punctuation

If you wander through Chattanooga, I'll take a look at it while you wait just to give you a read on issues I see and line you out on the direction(s) you might want to go. There are so many things that can detract from a rifle's accuracy, and those things are all the more numerous with an AK design. Scope mounting is the most common culprit, although you've obviously identified another fundamental if your stock is wobbling. 

Out of curiosity, can you be more specific with your description of "bizzare accuracy issues"?

Speaking of Chattanooga. I was just transported from Nashville to CHI Memorial last night.  I had a minor stroke Thursday night and the ER that I went to doesn't have a neurologist on staff. No hospitals in Middle Tennessee with a neurologist on staff had any beds to take me. Waited 24 hours and finally got a 3-hour ambulance ride down to Chatanoo.  Happy New Year's.  Glad to be alive.

Are you able to see the thread on the AKFiles?

• Love 1
  • Wow 1

Somewhat of a digest from the other forum:

This is a rifle I’ve been struggling with for a couple years never able to get any kind of reasonable performance out of it. Once in a while I’d get it out of the rest and be able to hit steel or some reactionary target reliably after figuring out a hold but could never really print groups. I detailed the poor performance last October when trying different new ammo out of it.

Today I ran this stuff: https://ppu-usa.com/ppu/7-62x54-r-match/ Tried to print and as in the past just spattered 4-5” groups from a couple mags. Put it down (disgusted) for an hour, picked it back up and hit 100yd 12” steel 8 out of 10 rounds (WHAAAAT?). Put it back into the sled and shot the 5rd group you see on the upper right. I'm thinking “okay, I’ve finally got a group I can dial in” I took the elevation down a couple inches and windage to the left by in inch and shot the 6rd group you see lower left. I literally touched nothing else on the rifle but dialed the turrets of the Trijicon Accupoint. I didn’t even change mags (11th round was a stray I hand fed into the chamber)

So, After all this grief - Is this scope toast ? Well, I described the situation to Trijicon.  I sent in the scope and they eventually told me they were replacing it.  Never said why but it took 9 months (middle of lock-down / supply chain era)

In the end it wore another optic and I finally got the Accupoint back on it .  Shoots for crap-.  To this day I have never been able to reproduce that 5-shot group (nor hit 100yd steel 8 outta 10 rounds) again.   But it did shoot well once.  Thus "bizarre accuracy issues"

Vepr54R Groups 03-07-21.jpg

Preciate it,  yeah, I dodged a bullet big time. If that clot was just a little bit bigger it would have shut down a good chunk of the left side of my brain for good.

AND my blood sugar was 420 when I came into the ER.   So now I'm a diabetic to boot. I need to get my fat a$$ together and lose 85 lbs, quit smoking (FOR GOOD this time) stop eating ice cream and cereal before bed,  get on a treadmill every morning for a half hour and do more shooting on the weekends.

Nyet, all this is fix with dzenjuine karbine drill, two times for day, to be going up and down hill, fire karbine hit targets. You run, hit targets. Groundnyy, hit targets. You crawl, hit targets. You diabetic, take jumping for to hit targets. You need svezhest. Freshness, da! Go, karbine drill, go now!

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, DocHawk said:

Nyet, all this is fix with dzenjuine karbine drill, two times for day, to be going up and down hill, fire karbine hit targets. You run, hit targets. Groundnyy, hit targets. You crawl, hit targets. You diabetic, take jumping for to hit targets. You need svezhest. Freshness, da! Go, karbine drill, go now!

Uuuuh,  Well, that was interesting .  I'll resemble that advice.

Edited by GS455