Thinning the Herd - Not a For Sale Post

Defender

I’ve apparently has more money than sense the last 5 years or so and have grown my gun collection to a point that it’s difficult for me to shoot and or take care of them all, so I want to give serious thought to reducing/consolidating down to a more knowledgeable number.  For a minute I was concerned about TEOTWAWKI and stocked up for that.  But at 67, my health is not great.  I just can’t move like I used to.   I doubt I’d survive long enough to be very useful in a tough situation like that. I probably will keep at least one or two guns in every caliber I have, but still will sell some for sure.  I just need to do some thinking about what I want to keep.  My wife is a lot younger than me and has already told me which few she wants.  My sons aren’t getting any and my daughters will get one es h probably.  Anyway…just the musings of an old man, but I really need to figure this out and make it happen soon.  I’ll be selling on here once I make up my mind.  Anyone who has done this, please pm me your methodology on what to keep/sell.

I haven't thinned down like that myself but it seems like I would start at the back of the safe and work towards the front in the event that I needed to.  I have a lot of guns that I've never fired and at this point those fill a very small "what if" niche.  The majority of those were given to me by my father in law when his mental health deteriorated.  I don't feel that it is my place to sell them despite not having a use for most of them.  I figure I'll just pass them down to my son eventually.  Of course if you aren't selling to find another project, clean them up good, lube them heavy, and stick them in the safe.  Let them be someone else's problem once you are gone.  Especially if having them makes you happy.  

Just the musings of a middle aged man 🤣

• Like 5

If it kicks hard, sell it.

If it's inaccurate, sell it.

If it's broken/non-functional, sell it.

If it's chambered in a funky cartridge you can't buy or is super expensive, sell it.

If you look at it & have no feelings for it one way or another, sell it.

That should get you down to guns you like, you can shoot, & you can still enjoy having around.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Frog4aday said:

If it kicks hard, sell it.

If it's inaccurate, sell it.

If it's broken/non-functional, sell it.

If it's chambered in a funky cartridge you can't buy or is super expensive, sell it.

If you look at it & have no feelings for it one way or another, sell it.

That should get you down to guns you like, you can shoot, & you can still enjoy having around.

Now that’s a plan. I’m 65 in the same situation. But having owned a gun shop I’m in a little deeper and dumber than most. I’m gonna start working this plan. Thanks! 

• Like 2

First sell plastic guns and milsurps you don't want or care about, keep your family heirlooms, hold onto classic guns in good shape as they appreciate at a faster rate than Glocks and ARs.

Tons of non-gun people bought guns in the last three years of panic buying. Never shot them after 2 visits to the range, paid too much, spent more money on tactical doodads, and are now needing money. In many cases a buyer can get that same gun for 1/3 to 1/2 off what was paid. So those guns will take a while to gain any value. 

Classic milsurps like full military Enfields, Swiss K-31s, German Mausers, M1s, M1 Carbines, M1As, are premium dollar getters in very good to excellent condition.

Sporterized versions are always suspect  and in the last 30 years have often been Bubbarized. If you have any of these sell them.

Guns like Mosin-Nagants, Yugo 8mms,  and other 2nd-tier milsurps in less than very good condition are still bringing in money, but I'd sell them first.

I sold all my milsurps but my M1 Garand and never missed them. Get rid of guns you won't miss that take up space in the safe and in your mind.

You may find that once you start cleaning out it becomes easier to do and can be mentally rewarding. You'll make a few dollars and enjoy getting rid of excess stuff you'll never use.

Maybe you'll make enough to buy a gun you always wanted. Better to have a few guns you treasure than a safe full of guns that are only wood and metal.

Edited by crc4
  • Love 1

I am a little gun nerdy, each gun I own (quite a few) have a  acquisition story, meaning why did I acquire the piece in the first place, none of the acquisitions were by happenstance, each had a plan to be acquired.  I have logged all of the history in my tracking spreadsheet, but I also have a "keeper" scale from 1 to 10 assigned to each gun.  1 is for the dogs and the 10s are never part until I am gone.  Anyway, when I get to the point of thinning the herd, I am going to sell off using the "keeper" scale starting with the lowest rank to the highest rank.  Only you can decide through your own methodology (personal/acquired/etc.) how you would rank each gun.

• Like 1

Defender,  I have helped someone three times for what you are talking about doing.  Only one of the times was guns and the other two were guitars.  The smallest collection was over 350 guitars and about half that in amplifiers.  Two times it was with someone who was at an age they thought they should slim down the collection while they were still here to know what was being sold, the values, etc.  Once was my Dad's stuff after his death.

There has been a lot of good advice for ranking, deciding, and planning.  I will offer you one piece of advice.  Do what brings you peace and joy about it.  If your focus is liquidating a good segment of a collection for your wife after you are gone.  Focus on the valuable guns that you are confident you won't shoot anymore and convert them into a nice nest egg you can invest for her somewhere.  If you are concerned with the sheer workload you might leave someone to deal with then find a younger friend that enjoys the selling and give them an understanding of what you want done so your wife isn't burdened.  In the end, as much as we all enjoy them, it is just stuff.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thank you for this thread; I am also 67 and am thinking about what to do with too many guns.  

On a different note, could someone offer feedback on a different issue.

I have an LC Smith Field grade 16 ga. double barrel.  It was my grandfather's, and then my father's, and now mine.  I had it checked out by a gunsmith a few years ago and he said it was no longer safe to shoot.  Barrels have thinned out over time and shot.

What do I do with it?  I can't shoot it, and it sits in the safe.  Same thing with my grandfather's .300 Savage.

Any suggestions would humbly be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

I have an LC Smith Field grade 16 ga. double barrel.  It was my grandfather's, and then my father's, and now mine.  I had it checked out by a gunsmith a few years ago and he said it was no longer safe to shoot.  Barrels have thinned out over time and shot.

What do I do with it?  I can't shoot it, and it sits in the safe.  Same thing with my grandfather's .300 Savage.

Put them ig glass covered shadow boxes and display them? Can you not get the Savage re-barreled?