Question re: Mossberg 590 Shockwave or Remington Tac-14

Wdodd

I own neither but have shot a shockwave a bunch of times.  They are “unnatural” but not that big of a pain to shoot once you get used to it.  You can bring it up to eye level to aim, or shoot it one-handed if strong enough to hold it up.

I have the 590 Shockwave 12 g.

As @Garufa said, it's not bad to shoot at all.

I've shot standard 00 Buck, Federal H-132 00 Buck (Low recoil), 1 oz slugs, and #7 shot through it so far. Range 7-15 yards.

I've only had it out to the range 4 times, so I'm learning how best to run it "for me".

It's nowhere close to being as easy to run as my old full size 590...but I'm trying to learn. 😉

I have a sling on it and an SOE shotshell strip. I put a healthy amount of athletic tape on the grip. It helps as I shoot it extended and towards center, push-pull type technique. The tape gives me a better grip when working the slide.

I am considering putting a Holosun RDS on it. And quite possibly a recoil strap from Demonstrated Concepts.

Rhett Neumayer of Demonstrated Concepts has some good videos on Youtube regarding this type of shotgun.

Good Luck in your search.

I have a Mossberg 500a pistol grip only Cruiser in 12 ga that ain’t exactly fun to shoot, lol, so when I decided to get one if the smaller shotguns I went for the Shockwave in 20 ga.  I’ve read much about the trade off between 20 and 12 ga as regards perceived recoil and effectiveness at close ranges, so this affected my decision. I’ve only fired it a few times, but I don’t regret my decision. Only thing I ‘might’ have done differently is go with a semi auto variant.

• Like 1

Had one, really liked it (Mossberg 590 Shockwave), liked it enough to dress it up a little, wood stock and forearm from Thailand, left side of receiver 5 rd shell holder, night front bead sight. Shot just fine from a tight hip or waist high mount, I shot mine enough to remember where to orient to get "belt buckle" high hits. Op-Sol'ed it so it handled those Aguila Mini-Shells, so I had the Buckshot loads (and slugs) for that also.

Got set to move here from Virginia, looked over early on and thought "I've got too many dang guns", and it was one that didn't make the cut for the trip west. That said, I am NOT without combat shotguns here in the least...

(and I really like the Mossberg 590A1 platform, too!)

eta; that's an older pic, I don't have that stock or that forearm light on her anymore, the stock was awkward and added too much weight to an already "getting heavier" gun, and that forearm light crapped out.

IMG_3740a.jpg

Edited by OMCHamlin

I went with the Mossberg 590 Shockwave as I much prefer the safety location over the Remington safety location.  I sent in the NFA application and received the tax stamp at which point I promptly removed the bird head grip and added a 590 stock.  Great short barreled shotgun.  The wife loves shooting the mini shells from the compact gun.

• Like 2

Grew up with an 870, was gifted a 12ga shockwave and now consider myself a Mossberg man.  I think both platforms are fine, I just like the top mounted safety on the Mossberg.  The shockwave, as others have mentioned, is not natural to shoot, but I took to it quickly.  Training with it is compulsory if you plan to use it defensively. 

I found a Shockwave at a gun store used, the guys made me a great deal. I did put the larger after market safety on mine. The Shockwave or Tac is a personal defense firearm, that is all. It is made to shoot from the hip, the birds head is great for this, the strap on the for grip helps a great deal.. The pistol grip hurts my wrist when I tried it.

2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Training with it is compulsory if you plan to use it defensively. 

This is a must! With enough training you can hit what is in front of you and not have to look down at the firearm to check aim.

Interesting to read this post too.I swore to not buy any guns this year except a Tac 14.Anyone who has one how is the finish holding up?. I have heard for several years now that the new Remingtons have issues with that and the action binding when using cheap ammo.

• 3 weeks later...