Turkey!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Nice bird!! Smoke-phase? Or domestic mix maybe?

Me and jcochran88 have been swarmed by them. Managed to bag a young tom. 4" beard. Good eater regardless.

Guest DoDFire

Congrats,,,,, I didn't get to go this morning due to work,,, so all I have is this pic of my back yard,,,, guess I can dream about it. I also have a hen in "Silver Phase" run'n my place

DSCI0279.jpg

DSCI0292.jpg

DSCI0280.jpg

Guest clutepc

Well for my first day hunting anything, I didn't get anything but I learned a great deal.

If I had a shotgun I'd be having Turkey for dinner.. that will teach me to always carry the bow out of the case..lol

Walked up on a nice Tom and stayed within range until I trying to get my bow, then he had no interest in coming back to be because of all the hens he had around him..

Things I learned today:

1: Damn I out of shape!!!!

2: That 8 pound camping seat doesn't take long to feel like it weighs 40.

3: The Tent Blind is great!, Still hard to get setup quietly.

4: Print better maps,

5: Pack different food. Donuts just don't do it.

6: Haveing a Turkey gobble back at your calling does kick up the heart rate!

( I think my calling ablility stinks, needs some help with that one..)

Nice Turkey Mike!

DodFire - I like your backyard.

Trying to figure out how to take next week off of work..lol

Edited by clutepc
Guest DoDFire

To quote clutepc:::: Well for my first day hunting anything, I didn't get anything but I learned a great deal.

If I had a shotgun I'd be having Turkey for dinner.. that will teach me to always carry the bow out of the case..lol

Walked up on a nice Tom and stayed within range until I trying to get my bow, then he had no interest in coming back to be because of all the hens he had around him..

Things I learned today:

1: Damn I out of shape!!!!

2: That 8 pound camping seat doesn't take long to feel like it weighs 40.

3: The Tent Blind is great!, Still hard to get setup quietly.

4: Print better maps,

5: Pack different food. Donuts just don't do it.

6: Haveing a Turkey gobble back at your calling does kick up the heart rate!

( I think my calling ablility stinks, needs some help with that one..)

All of these things just make it more fun,,,,, I could write a book on all of the thing I have learned and sharpshooter (my brother) could write his own book on my screw ups and funny out takes on my turkey hunts. :D

Edited by DoDFire
Guest clutepc

All of these things just make it more fun,,,,, I could write a book on all of the thing I have learned and sharpshooter (my brother) could write his own book on my screw ups and funny out takes on my turkey hunts. :D

I agree I still had a blast, going back out tomorrow.

I was suprised I only saw 1 other hunter all day.

Nothing to report from Sumner Co. I had three birds start gobbling about 20 minutes before the storm line hit! What timing. I actually think they had flown up to roost spots and were just letting each other know where they were as they didn't move. I scrambled off the hill as the lighting started.

Just like last years opening day.

Guest Bronker
Dunno, he's pretty none the less.

He's 27 lbs with a 9.5" beard.

Are you gonna mount him Mike?

(If so, aren't you afraid he'll bite you? Hehe)

Seriously...if you're not, I have a taxidermy friend that may take him to mount for display. He certainly is 'different'. The turkey, that is...

Are you gonna mount him Mike?

(If so, aren't you afraid he'll bite you? Hehe)

Seriously...if you're not, I have a taxidermy friend that may take him to mount for display. He certainly is 'different'. The turkey, that is...

Yes!

I am going to take him to Wild Wings to have him done.

I emailed them tonight, hopefully I can get him over there tomorrow.

-Mike

Guest clutepc

Can't believe I actually called in two jakes this morning,

They were running so fast to me they ran right past me at first then turned around a came back, crazy to watch.

I'm not good at calling but they seems to gobble at anything I did.

Guess that's because they're young..honestly don't know.

They came within about 20 yards but before I could draw my bow I guess I did something to spook them and they backed away.

They still stayed around about 50 yards out running back and forth gobbling which had me a little stumped, I'm sure it was something I did by the way they were acting..

Thankfully my wife went out of town for two weeks to see family.. or to save our marriage I'm not sure which yet..

Edited by clutepc

Cool deal guys.

I am still out of town. Just got into Eureka Springs, AR. around 6pm this evening. We will be here until Tuesday morning, and then heading back to Memphis. (we have to have the rental car back by 6)

Nice bird! and Nice backyard.

I hope to get out in the woods next Saturday.

Guest sharpshooter01

Nice Turkey Mike!

DodFire - I like your backyard.

Congrats Mike!!!:)

clutepc, I hunted that back yard this morning and didn't hear a gobble, only a few yelps on the roost and then silence after that. I have been given a curse on his land when it comes to hunting anything.;)

Ah, another one who makes the long trek down to Wayne Co. We have property north of Waynesboro on the Moccasin Creek and my brother has land just outside Clifton. We also lease the adjacent farm for more area and to keep it free from "visitors" during hunting season. Great area, I wish I could live down there and commute here to visit.

Looks like a good bird Mike. All of the game wardens around here will shoot a bird with white in it. Alot of them are domestic-wild mixes and they don't want them in the gene pool. On another note, my 12 year old son got a tom on the youth hunt on the 21st. It was 22 pounds with a 10 1/2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. Not a gigantic bird, but he was proud. It sure did taste good

Guest clutepc

I've been out a few times, getting responses from calls but needless to say I'm getting schooled on all the things not to do. makes you remember it next time I guess..:clap:

Guest sharpshooter01

That's the learning curve that you will never get around. Just when you think you have them figured out, you don't, we just get luck every now and then and bag one. It's fun ain't it! :screwy: