2021 and newer EV Ford Trucks!!!

bersaguy

Has anyone else seen the notice Ford has been posting telling people that own the F-150 EV Ford not to use the trucks heater in cold weather because it will kill the battery prematurely and cause the truck battery to need to be charged prematurely. They recommend using the heated seats and heated steering wheel when in cold weather. I don't know about anyone else but if I paid that kind of money they are charging for them and I could not use the heater they would be refunding me my money + my lawyers fees and anything else like a vehicle to replace my trade in if there was one..........JMHO    

A friend of mine bought an EV F150 and was not made aware that he should not run the heater when it got cold when he was talking with the salesman. He ended up returning it to the dealer and before he was done with them he left with a 2023 gas burning F150 and a refund for the difference between the cost of the two trucks. Now all the salesmen at that dealership is required to tell any potential buyers about the heater issue.     

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The Greenies push EVs, the politicians grab the hot topic and neither can understand that we just don't have the technology or the  infrastructure to make it work. The fantasy far outweighs the facts. 🙄

Then there’s the added benefit of putting Americans out of work while helping the Chinese economy. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The Greenies push EVs, the politicians grab the hot topic and neither can understand that we just don't have the technology or the  infrastructure to make it work. The fantasy far outweighs the facts. 🙄

We are a good ten years OR MORE away from these cars and trucks being practical in this country.

• Like 1

As an aside, check out Scotty Kilmer on Youtube. A real mechanic for 55 years, he gives you the lowdown on everything automotive. Listen to him, he knows his stuff, doesn't accept payola, and is hated by Chevy, Chrysler, Ram, Audi, BMW, Jeep, and other major companies for his honesty and pulling no punches.

You'll save thousands on buying and repair costs. Plus, he's entertaining.

Scotty Kilmer - Mechanic and Straight Shooter

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moped said:

We are a good ten years OR MORE away from these cars and trucks being practical in this country.

I doubt we’re even that close!  The volume of vehicles they want fully electric can’t be supported by our electricity grids. Look at California asking/demanding folks not charge their electric vehicles during peak periods, and the rolling blackouts we had last month.  And they don’t seem to be upgrading the grid, at least not as fast as we are growing our needs.  We just need to start immediately producing and refining our own oil.  I remember a comment by Bill Clinton when he was president and asked why don’t we build more refineries in the u.s to hs,p with the cost of gas. His response was it would take 10 years.  Dumbass.  

• Like 3

I'm in the no EV in my future group also. Only way I would consider an EV would be as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle that was only for local use. To get back to the heater discussion, I commented to a friend up North that has a hybrid that getting stuck in the snow on an interstate like has happened a few times would not be good in a full electric. He had an answer, he said that a solar blanket to cover up with and a heated seat would keep you warm for many days in an EV. I have carried a couple of solar blankets in all our cars for years but never thought about that even in a gas powered vehicle if you have heated seats it would be a good way to keep warm, then you would only have to run the engine every few hours to top off the battery.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, crc4 said:

As an aside, check out Scotty Kilmer on Youtube. A real mechanic for 55 years, he gives you the lowdown on everything automotive. Listen to him, he knows his stuff, doesn't accept payola, and is hated by Chevy, Chrysler, Ram, Audi, BMW, Jeep, and other major companies for his honesty and pulling no punches.

You'll save thousands on buying and repair costs. Plus, he's entertaining.

Scotty Kilmer - Mechanic and Straight Shooter

He moved to my city here in Clarksville and did 3 reviews of 3 of my friends cars. He knows his stuff. He's like me and sticks with Japanses vehicles. American vehicles are built to SELL. Japanese vehicles are built to LAST. The old straight 6 Ford engines from the 70s to 80s was an exception. They would run dang near forever .

• Like 2

It’s kind of a catch 22.   No one will invest in the infrastructure until the demand is met.  And lot of people don’t want to buy until the infrastructure exists.  This is part of the reason that the government is pushing the mandates that they are.  Is it right?   Nah.  But the electric future is coming.  

I’m a hot rodder at heart but I’ve considered an EV.  One major hurdle for me, and possibly a lot of other people is that my house is not setup for it.  In order to add a charger, I’d have to swap my aged fuse panel for a modern breaker box.  Ive gotten some quotes for that and that’s gonna add an additional 3 grand at least to the price of my car.  I’m not ready or willing to do so.  

• Like 2
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

This forum really likes to fuss about electric vehicles. I've never felt like someone was forcing me to buy an EV. All the car lots here in town are still selling gas vehicles. I'll keep my 21 year old truck for now. 

I’ve stated my support for EVs in the past for where they’re practical. That said the more I read, the more I think that hydrogen fuel cells might be the better path. Regardless of what becomes the predominant method, it’s going to have to be undergirded with a massive amount of nuclear power generation. Solar/wind likely won’t ever be up to the task. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve stated my support for EVs in the past for where they’re practical. That said the more I read, the more I think that hydrogen fuel cells might be the better path. Regardless of what becomes the predominant method, it’s going to have to be undergirded with a massive amount of nuclear power generation. Solar/wind likely won’t ever be up to the task. 

I've wanted a Ford Nucleon since I was a kid. But then I'm also a COE kinda guy.

20230104_101028.thumb.jpg.a7a3eebaba9fbec245d890950b47ad0e.jpg

• Haha 1

It's like everything else the government does. They put the cart before the horse!!! California is going to try and force people to buy EV's and they can't even charge all the ones people already own. They have passed laws preventing semi trucks made before the year 2008 from entering the state to deliver goods and services and creating shortages of many goods to stores for consumers!!!!!!!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Erik88 said:

This forum really likes to fuss about electric vehicles. I've never felt like someone was forcing me to buy an EV. All the car lots here in town are still selling gas vehicles. I'll keep my 21 year old truck for now. 

For now.  But federal mandates along with company declarations will have the lots looking quite different by the end of the decade. 

19 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

There are or were several hydrogen powered vehicles on the market a few years back.  I’ve still yet to see a hydrogen fueling station.  I assume they were popular in the heavily populated places like LA but the rest of the country wasn’t ready.  And the fear mongering about hydrogen will have most consumers terrified. 

• Like 1

I've had a hybrid (Ford CMax) and it was an "ok" car, only problem was it would go into the "deep sleep" mode if you did not drive at least 2-3x's/week.  The 40mpg was the good thing, fairly comfy, but on trips over 2 hrs, the seats became uncomfortable for me.  A hybrid as my primary vehicle is a possibility, but not a 100% EV.  

Hopefully the goobermint will not go much further in their BS about EV's as the grid cannot support them, and the general public in general cannot afford them.  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The breakthroughs in nuclear fusion are what has me thinking that EVs are not as impossible as we thought. 

I don't think it'll be on the current timeline, even as an intermediate step, the battery capacity and production cost of an EV are getting better every year.  People keep thinking about the here and now and not how far we'll be down the line.  We've got more EVs out on the road than people believed would be practical 5 years ago.  Imagine 5 years from now, 10, ect. 

Industry wouldn't be getting behind this, or letting the government force things unless they felt it was worth the time and investment, or they had the ability to alter the mandate as needs dictate.

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, btq96r said:

The breakthroughs in nuclear fusion are what has me thinking that EVs are not as impossible as we thought. 

I don't think it'll be on the current timeline, even as an intermediate step, the battery capacity and production cost of an EV are getting better every year.  People keep thinking about the here and now and not how far we'll be down the line.  We've got more EVs out on the road than people believed would be practical 5 years ago.  Imagine 5 years from now, 10, ect. 

Industry wouldn't be getting behind this, or letting the government force things unless they felt it was worth the time and investment, or they had the ability to alter the mandate as needs dictate.

My thoughts about HEV versus BEV are a lot more nuanced than just thinking about energy production.
The “greenness” of BEV‘s has been vastly overstated with the carbon and pollution footprint of battery production having been greatly obfuscated from the general public by the nature of their production in other parts of the world. There is also the very real and pressing matter of resource security for the elements required to produce the batteries like the lithium and cobalt. Elements that we do actually possess reserves of in conus, but will not mine because of the massive ecological impact involved in doing so. 
That’s not even to get into more practical street level concerns like emergency energy, delivery or household charging.

in addition, while the breakthroughs in fusion energy production are exciting and very promising, the reality is that nuclear power has been safe to the point of being essentially harmless for over half a century. The lies and fear-mongering of Greenpeace and the anti-nuclear lobby regarding nuclear power were well sold to the public by people with vested interests in preserving the fossil fuel industry. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2