2021 and newer EV Ford Trucks!!!

bersaguy

Chuck makes a valid point. One of the major sticking points with EVs is the batteries. Obtaining the raw materials, manufacture, and mainly disposal of used batteries is an ecological nightmare. In the end, EVs may well cause more problems than they cure. Then there's the cost. Its cheaper to scrap an electric vehicle than it is to replace the batteries. The technology just isn't there yet. 

I'm sure it is coming. Someday in the relatively near future people will point and laugh at the old "fuel burners" still left on the road. But we're still a long ways from there. The current pressure from specialized groups and government  is only adding to the problem. We just aren't ready yet. 

Hopefully there are people working on and perfecting things like new batteries, Hydrogen Fuel Cells or maybe even Doc Brown's Flux Capacitor who will make a real breakthrough. Until then, EVs are just aren't practical. 

• Like 1

There has always been dreamers wanting to invent the next great discovery. The point was already brought up about the batteries and how do they dispose of the batteries when they go bad or just wear out. They are still trying to figure out the safest way to discard the plain 12 volt batteries in todays cars and trucks!! I am still driving a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 inline 6 cylinder that runs great that I will be passing down to my son when I can no longer drive and he has always like it and has began a few years back buying parts and putting them is storage for the Jeep that would normally wear out so he can fix it if it breaks down. He is an ASE certified Mechanic and is the one that fixes it now and services it when it needs it. 

I will never own an EV cause at my age I will have grass covering me before they perfect them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 8:48 PM, Jeb48 said:

I'm in the no EV in my future group also. Only way I would consider an EV would be as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle that was only for local use. To get back to the heater discussion, I commented to a friend up North that has a hybrid that getting stuck in the snow on an interstate like has happened a few times would not be good in a full electric. He had an answer, he said that a solar blanket to cover up with and a heated seat would keep you warm for many days in an EV. I have carried a couple of solar blankets in all our cars for years but never thought about that even in a gas powered vehicle if you have heated seats it would be a good way to keep warm, then you would only have to run the engine every few hours to top off the battery.

Last winter I read an article where folks were stuck in their cars on a frozen Interstate for a day or so. The gas-burners were in real trouble and people were having to walk a ways. A guy in a Tesla was A-OK. Not so much because battery > gas, but because he started his relatively short trip with a fully charged battery because he always charges it up at home. Lots of the gas cars didn't start out full. That's not to say this is always the case for all people, but always starting your day with a full "tank" is a pretty nice thing to do.

The article also brought up the fumes from the gasoline cars. Our cars are not air tight and all those cars sitting still and idling for hours is a concern. all that exhaust pools around the cars. Normally it's fine because we're all moving, but in an hours/days long standstill it can be an issue.

I'd like to have one as a commuter car, but not as my only car.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, aknifemaker said:

Plus if you tow anything mileage drops drastically

That's true of a gas or diesel truck too. The difference is that a full gas/diesel tank has a longer range than a fully charged F-150 EV battery, and refilling is a lot more convenient and faster.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 5:19 PM, Grayfox54 said:

The Greenies push EVs, the politicians grab the hot topic and neither can understand that we just don't have the technology or the  infrastructure to make it work. The fantasy far outweighs the facts. 🙄

Well said sir! I've been saying this all along. Yet most people don't seem to understand that just because Biden says it's so...You just can't magically produce all the extra electricity overnight. Nor do they understand the problems in cost of manufacture and disposal of the EV products. 

I sort of like the idea actually, but we just aren't at that point where it's feasable yet.