FBI qual

Not exactly training, more of a test.  Beech is good people and makes the FBI qualification look pretty easy.  I'm having surgery soon and will be off the range for a while, but I'd like to give it a shot in the next couple weeks if I can swing it.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Way back in 1992 when I got my first Handgun Permit issued by the local Sheriff,  we were required to shoot the then current Sheriff's Dept qualification course. Not exactly the same, but very close. We also had to re-qualify every year until the state wide permit came into being. (1996?) You could only carry the gun you qualified with. 

In my case I used a 2" Colt Detective Special. Last time I shot the course I scored a 93. But that was 30 years ago. I doubt I could do that well today with a 2" revolver.  🙄

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Deerslayer, I like the course of fire. never shot it but if I have a chance will try. I am 75 now, however after I turned 65 I decided to go and take the NRA Certified Instructor course on pistols. I just wanted to see if I could pass the test. I did. I had to shoot 20 rounds at 50 feet with open sights and used a 4" 38/357 SW model 681 firing 38 Spl practice ammo. I hit an 8" paper plate at 50' with 19 out 0f 20 in the qualifier, with required 17 hits to qualify.  I mostly just shoot at steel now on a fairly regular basis. I still have my plate I qualified on, for Instructor class, and my original, signed by instructor, B 22 target I originally qualified on for my CC permit, in my gun safe. My instructor, way back then, talked to us about court allowable proof in case one needed to prove they could hit what they were shooting at. That turned out to be good advice in this day-in-time. Seems now that one needs to document everything one does to train and have good records to prove what training you did. I even have rerecords of books I have studied and every trip to the range. Sound advice deerslayer. 

Below is a class description from Cruel Hand Luke, aka Randy Harris.  Randy frequently holds this class in Dayton, TN and Windrock shooting range.  IMO if one is interested in documentation, than this is certainly a valid record ran by a well known firearms instructor under a controlled classroom environment.

"We will be shooting some challenging warm up drills and then the Bakersfield PD Qual, Federal Air Marshal pistol qualification, FBI pistol qualification courses and a few others and finish up with a man vs man shoot off on steel and bowling pins!  I will also keep records of these (if you are happy with your scores) for future reference and use . This will serve to get your shooting prowess on record by a third party in case it is ever needed in the future in some legal matter. This is also something your church might like to have for their records if you are a member of a church security team."

• Like 1