Polish P64 or CZ82?

I have a Hungarian FEG PA-63 and I've been thinking maybe I need a second handgun in the Makarov caliber.

I've always liked the Polish Factory 11 stuff. They did good work, but recently discovered the CZ. I prefer the historic aspects and appearance of the P64 but the double stack CZ is a contender.

Has anyone handled both and care to give opinions?

Thanks.

Jay

I've shot both and have found the CZ82 to be the better pistol in terms of grip, recoil, accuracy, fit and finish, and smoother handling overall. 

I have two CZ82s and large hands and found the FEG to be too small for me.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, jaytex1969 said:

Thanks, fellas.

Anyone care to throw out a current value estimate for a CZ in "good" condition with one magazine?

(Sorry, no pics to share just yet)

I saw this 82 for sale. The price seems to be about what you could expect to pay.

CZ 82 - commercial vendor

A private sale would probably be less with cash. Then again, I wouldn't sell mine for that price as they're dependable and in almost 20 years of shooting never a failure, plus they are steel frames.

Edited by crc4
  • Like 2

The CZ-82 is the superior pistol when compared to the P64 and PA-63 in every way except maybe width due to the grip.

If you get one you might find yourself showing that PA-63 the door.  I know I did cause that thing just hurt to shoot after a while.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Garufa said:

If you get one you might find yourself showing that PA-63 the door.  

The FEG seems like a good carry backup gun. Carry a lot and shoot a little.

As a collector of sorts, however, it is still appealing. (as they ALL are, haha...)

Jay

Edited by jaytex1969
  • Like 1
On 1/9/2023 at 5:40 PM, jaytex1969 said:

I just picked up a CZ82 from Centerfire Systems.

On sale, a whole ten bucks off! 😝

Will report back once it's delivered.

Jay

Congrats, I think you're gonna love it. I loved mine so much I did a few upgrades. She shoots great and fits my hand like a glove...one of my favorite guns I own.

IMG_0036.JPG

Edited by BigK
img link broke, attached pic instead
  • Like 3

I've had both, one a CZ83 (pretty darn close, but .380) and a minty P64 in the proper 9 Mak caliber. The folks voting for the CZ82 are right in all regards. The P64 carries better, but "Katie bar the dang door", the P64 really KICKS all out of proportion to what you would think, and it manages to beat your palm to death and torque your fingers all at the same time! Coupled with it's inherent 14 lb trigger (I'm guessing maybe even HIGHER), it's not conducive to even self defense accuracy. I recall trigger kits that purported to really cure that ridiculous trigger, but by the time you get that installed, you've only slightly lessened the pull weight, but STILL managed to induce misfires due to a light firing pin hit. The recoil on a P64 is partly due to the 9mm Makarov being at the upper edge of sensible power for a smaller blowback operated pistol.

The CZ is not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot closer then the P64.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:17 PM, jaytex1969 said:

https://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/4273911.jpg

Jay

I'm probably crazy to put this much into a $190 gun, but it has 2-tone Cerakote frame/receiver, buffed hammer/sear, rubber mag base pads, red wattle grips from Hungary, and all new pins/springs.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1
On 1/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, BigK said:

I'm probably crazy to put this much into a $190 gun....

Well, your $190 gun is going for about twice that these days.

I picked up mine today. Not as pretty as yours, but I'm OK with it. Feels like it fits my hand VERY well.

Here's the promised pics.

(First time loading pics on this site, so brace yourself for the usual site noob chaos...)

CZ Bore.jpg

Edited by jaytex1969
Some images deleted due to forum upload limitations)
  • Love 1

It appears I've hit some kind of image upload limit.

Some worn/chipped commie black paint.

Looks like an ambi mag release, but the one for right handed use needs cleaning and lubing to work.

Otherwise fully functioning. Only actual rust I see is on the exposed part of extractor, very minor.

Bore looks great. Nice, wide trigger shoe, very comfortable. Decent 12/6# trigger. +/-

Made in 1988.

Solid metal gun. Good for head thumping when ammo runs out...  🤩

Jay

Don't worry about the external appearance. You've got a nice pistol that should give years of service. Get a couple of extra mags. I see them between $15-20 each on sale from various vendors in surplus firearms.

Don't take it apart further than field stripping for cleaning. If you do it may become a 'bag-gun.'

Enjoy it.

Edited by crc4
  • Like 1

Looks great; holster wear = character marks. LOL I love the ambi-safety, but mine was gritty at first. Your rifling looks WAY better than mine does. That should make for a great shooter. When I went to pick mine up from being cerakoted, the guy behind the counter said I was crazy for refinishing a gun w/ the rifling all blown out. Apparently he'd never seen polygonal rifling.

If you find a source for cheap 9x18, please share it. Happy shooting

Cheap is relative, right?

Surplus Ammo has S&B FMJ on sale for $20 a box.

https://www.surplusammo.com/categories/pistol-ammo/9x18-makarov-ammo.html

Shipping on 10 boxes is another $30. It appears they leave the tax up to you.

So, $226.78/500 comes out to .453 per round delivered.

I've never used this specific product but have had good luck with S&B in general.

Anyone fired JHP through one of these? Any feeding issues?

Jay

Please don't laugh at me, but last time I bought 9x18 MAK was from Outpost Armory outside Murfreesboro, TN and they had JUST gone up from $6.99/box to $7.99/box and I was all butthurt that I paid almost 16¢/rd. I went home and started trimming Luger brass to reload my own. I'm such a cheapskate, LOL.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, BigK said:

Please don't laugh at me, but last time I bought 9x18 MAK was from Outpost Armory outside Murfreesboro, TN and they had JUST gone up from $6.99/box to $7.99/box and I was all butthurt that I paid almost 16¢/rd. I went home and started trimming Luger brass to reload my own. I'm such a cheapskate, LOL.

That was what, 10 years or 15 years ago?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, jaytex1969 said:

Cheap is relative, right?

Surplus Ammo has S&B FMJ on sale for $20 a box.

https://www.surplusammo.com/categories/pistol-ammo/9x18-makarov-ammo.html

Shipping on 10 boxes is another $30. It appears they leave the tax up to you.

So, $226.78/500 comes out to .453 per round delivered.

I've never used this specific product but have had good luck with S&B in general.

Anyone fired JHP through one of these? Any feeding issues?

Jay

I've fired Hornady JHP and Reed Ammo JHP through Makarovs and 82s without a problem.

Speaking of ammo, when I bought my Maks and 82s about 20 years ago I laid in a supply of about 3,000 rds of various FMJ brands. It was about 10 cents or less a round.

I have enough now to shoot for at least 15 years after I'm dead.

• Like 2