RIA 5.0 9MM

crc4

I rarely get excited about a new gun because, well, because there are new guns released every week that seem to be more of the same guns that were released last week.

This one however, the RIA 5.0, appears to be a new idea that is actually good. Unless the first production run proves problematic, it might be the gun of the decade.

One of my favorite reviewers, Roy Huntington, released this video today. RIA 5.0 9mm

Take a look. No word yet on the cost, but I may be saving my pennies.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Sounds promising American made. Steel. Hammer. fired.  Average looks.   But a square barrel. that’s new. I would be interested if at a good price point. Seems RIA is stepping it up. 

Just learned the msrp is about $1000.00. Probably about 8-900 discounted. But that's not too bad as it comes with a red dot matched to the pistol if it shoots as it has been described. It being steel and not polymer is a big plus as well as the trigger pull at a little more than 2 lbs.

The looks remind me of a High-Power and CZ style.  

Edited by crc4

Square barrel, new locking system, new trigger mechanism. Looks like somebody has finally gotten innovative.  its good to see something new in handgun design. I'll be interested in seeing how it works out and holds up. 

But honestly, I really don't think its my thing. I do applaud the idea though. 👍

• Like 1

2.47 pounds... That'd be like carrying a boat anchor around, compared to most 9mm models on the market now-a-days.  Even the new M&P Metal 2.0 is only 29oz. Might be fun at the range, but that's an expensive range gun.

My CZ 75b weighs in at 35.5 oz and my 97b weighs in at 41.3 oz. I carry both so 2.47 lbs doesn't faze me. As I prefer metal guns and that's all I've ever carried for 50 years, it's not a disqualifier for my style. With a quality gun belt made for the job, it will hold up my gun and my pants without sagging. 

I can understand that the weight will bother some people though. 

Edited by crc4
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

The grip looks like a separate piece, much like a 2011 frame.  If this takes off and doesn't Hudson itself into obscurity, I feel certain we'll see different grip materials offered.

Hudson didn't have the money for the long game. RIA does. The grip is polymer, the frame aluminum, the slide steel. The internals almost are non-existent compared to other pistols. Very simple.

What I found interesting on a CZ forum is that some are saying it, in effect, doesn't look enough like a CZ or High-Power or 1911 so they are predicting it won't fly. LOL!

I for one, like its looks and if given a chance would shoot one. Should it be like some of my respected reviewers say it is, I'd probably buy it.

Of course, I'd have to sell my FEG High-Power clone first. I've developed the mantra that before another gun comes in, one must go.*

*Subject to change on a whim.

Edited by crc4
  • Like 1

I bought a Hudson H9 and liked it.  I bought an Arsenal Strike One and liked it (for the most part).   I'll pretty much buy any crazy pistol you put in front of me, if it's well-built and I like the design, so I'm down for this unless I learn something that makes it a no-go.  🤣

Just from the photos, I don't see much not to like about the RIA.

RIA50.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I watched a video review last night on this pistol and the more I see of it, the more I like it.  The action just moves like butter.  The reviewer (Sootch) also owns a Hudson and made several comparisons.  Here's the link to the video and you may enjoy it if you've not seen it before.

• Like 3

looks pretty cool.

I assume the pistol was designed for competitive shooting or maybe home defense. 

I do wonder how well it will work if it was dirty or sandy because of the number of close tolerances between the barrel and slide, and slide and frame. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

I'm interested in shooting this pistol - and it's great to see RIA doing some innovation as opposed to just rolling with their 1911 tooling.

Full disclosure though - I think they may have stolen my design.  They've basically built a pistol that shares the same profile of the guns that I regularly cut out of construction paper in kindergarten.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Lots of new pistols recently. Being a longtime RIA fan; I am, like MacGyver, very much interested in seeing and shooting one. Not outrageously priced, but at hovering around 1K, it will not be a likely addition anytime soon for me. Also like the fact that it's made in the continental USA and not an import; but that's not a buying issue for most of us.

I see the Canik Rival S being a competitor for this RIA. Sounds like booth are going to be very popular with range and competition shooters.

Simply because I'm so vested in the Canik line, I would probably go for the Rival S first. But if money were no object...The RIA 5.0 would go into the number one position for me.

Either would be an awesome addition to any shooter's safe though.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2