Dryer vent disaster

Erik88

My dad came over today and we made a lot of progress but I have questions. 

The path for the hard pipe was blocked by my HVAC trunk. The only option was to lift it up and run my dryer vent under it. The problem is that when letting it back down it was too heavy and wanted to crush my new duct. 

Our solution was to rest the weight of the HVAC trunk on a few bricks. You can see my new duct on the left of the first picture. Does anyone think this will be an issue for the HVAC trunk? 

From there I have an 8' piece of semi rigid flex tube I'm going to run through the hole in the floor directly to my dryer. I need to make the floor hole bigger. Should I rent a jig saw?

IMG_20230114_172217289.jpg

IMG_20230114_172511370_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230114_172153803.jpg

46 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The path for the hard pipe was blocked by my HVAC trunk. The only option was to lift it up and run my dryer vent under it. The problem is that when letting it back down it was too heavy and wanted to crush my new duct. 

Our solution was to rest the weight of the HVAC trunk on a few bricks. You can see my new duct on the left of the first picture. Does anyone think this will be an issue for the HVAC trunk? 

From there I have an 8' piece of semi rigid flex tube I'm going to run through the hole in the floor directly to my dryer. I need to make the floor hole bigger. Should I rent a jig saw?

What diameter hole are you going up to ?

In my opinion as long as the width and length of the bricks distribute the weight enough not to strain the hvac in other areas id say you'll be fine to leave it as is. 

Edited by FUJIMO
Just now, Erik88 said:

I just need to shave off a little more so I can feed the flex duct up without tearing it. It's pretty close already. 

IMG_20230114_183332299.jpg

Ah ok. I was wondering because typically duct is 4" or so. Unless you want to go cheap with a small hand saw id hit harbor freight and buy the clearance model i linked up top. 

Everything is looking great 👍 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I had to open up my ceiling to get to the water pressure regulator and knowing a patch would look like a patch I put an A/C return grate up to hide the hole. I used cardboard and duct tape to seal the louvers.  Now, if I need to get up there just take down the grate.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

West Knoxville HF didn't have this one in stock so I had to pay a little more for one. I know people like to pick on Harbor Freight but for certain parts they do just fine. I got the hole opened up a hair and got the flex tube fed through. 

I'm leaning towards installing an access door here similar to Farman instead of replacing with finished sheetrock. 

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

West Knoxville HF didn't have this one in stock so I had to pay a little more for one. I know people like to pick on Harbor Freight but for certain parts they do just fine. I got the hole opened up a hair and got the flex tube fed through. 

I'm leaning towards installing an access door here similar to Farman instead of replacing with finished sheetrock. 

Years back I installed and finished my hardwood floors . I went through at least 4 of their belt sanders in a very short time. It was the better option vs renting a sander or buying a commercial. Ironically ppl hammer them about cheap cheena products but few out there don't have at least some foreign mfg components in them.

And I agree farmans faux panel is an excellent idea. No one will be the wiser and if a problem occurs down the road you already have access to that area. 

59 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

‘‘Twas a genius idea. I’d have never thought of it.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:01 PM, Erik88 said:

I would definitely put something much longer under the HVAC duct to support it over a greater length. If there ls enough pressure to crush the dryer vent pipe, it'll do the same to the HVAC duct over time.  Maybe a 24" strip of 1/2" plywood, something that will flex some. 

The fake return vent is a neat idea and it'll confuse the crap out of the next home inspector.  😄

• Like 1

If you want something solid instead of a faux vent, look for a plumbing access panel. This is a smaller one but they come in various sizes. I have a finished storage room behind my media room. I added those access panels on the storage room side of the wall so I have easy access to my in-the-wall cabling connections.

0e0233a86f3ea85e78a0409b56ba3d44.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, peejman said:

I would definitely put something much longer under the HVAC duct to support it over a greater length

I replaced the two bricks with two pieces of 2x4. Do you think that will suffice? My concern with the HVAC duct is that that its weight was previously distributed along the entire length of the ceiling and now it's resting on this one place. I need 4" of clearing for my dryer duct so I'm really not sure what else I could do. 

IMG_20230115_133236147.jpg

1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

If you want something solid instead of a faux vent, look for a plumbing access panel. This is a smaller one but they come in various sizes. I have a finished storage room behind my media room. I added those access panels on the storage room side of the wall so I have easy access to my in-the-wall cabling connections.

0e0233a86f3ea85e78a0409b56ba3d44.jpg

Something like this would look a lot better than the HVAC grill. 

A friend suggested this company.

https://linhdor.com/product/linhdor-elite-1000-interior/

• Like 1
On 1/14/2023 at 5:01 PM, Erik88 said:

Should I rent a jig saw?

my personal opinion is that if the tool is under 200 or so, it’s more valuable to own the tool than to rent it.  

also, an oscillating tool probably would have been a good choice for this job from start to finish as well.  I know it’s too late now, but consider one in the future.  

7 hours ago, Hozzie said:

If you have room to nail you could always use a couple of straps and space them a foot or so apart.  They are used all of the time for these type of ducts. 

I was gonna say the same.   My entire ductwork in my attic is strapped up.  Ain’t gonna hurt a thing.  

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I replaced the two bricks with two pieces of 2x4. Do you think that will suffice? My concern with the HVAC duct is that that its weight was previously distributed along the entire length of the ceiling and now it's resting on this one place. I need 4" of clearing for my dryer duct so I'm really not sure what else I could do. 

IMG_20230115_133236147.jpg

That looks better.  Hard to tell how it really looks in a few pictures. A couple straps on either end would help too. 

And I agree with them on the tools... the tools you get to buy are the payback for DIY home projects. 

I assumed there were straps except where it wanted to lay on the duct 😳. Thats why I thought the bricks would suffice in such a small area. I guess I'm use to older hvac installers because most I've dealt with wouldnt have just thrown it in the ceiling of the basement. WTH !

• Like 1