Am I the only one............?

Choatecav

This may sound odd, but I have a personality quirk that goes like this.....

When I buy a gun or anything that I have a great interest in (ie. saddles, guns, knives, historic items, guitars, etc.) I never sell them.  I frequently read on these threads a post that goes something like this: "Oh, I used to carry a (fill in the blank) and loved the way it shot and felt in my hand but I sold it.  Sure wish I still had it."  I completely understand that if a person needs the cash then they do what they have to do, but barring hard times, I just don't think I could sell any of the things I have accumulated.  I will say that I don't just buy the latest and greatest or coolest thing coming down the pike.  I do my research and determine if I really want it, but once I get it, it's pretty well there for keeps.  As a result, I have quite a few toys laying around. 

Thankfully, I have a pretty large house, full basement, barn and outbuildings so I can store all of this stuff but I do hear my wife say, "How many saddles can you ride?"  or "How many guns can you shoot?"

Am I a hoarder???

• Like 4

No, I don't think so, I know a lot of guys that feel the same way, especially about guns. That's okay. I have always been a buyer, trader and seller of guns and I can tell you there's some I regret getting rid of. Some I could not care less about letting go too, and some trades I've made that I have been ecstatic about. There's only right for "you" in that equation. Please note that I'm smart enough that when I've come into one of those "magic" guns that are so perfect only the biggest fool on earth would EVER consider letting it go, I usually keep them. (usually... 😉)

I have found that all the guns that have stories or memories associated with them will stay with me. I have some that I rarely shoot anymore but I remember using them training my kids and recall great memories whenever I see them and will not part with them 

• Like 1

I sorely miss several of the few things I have sold. Once I finally got into a financial position where I didn’t really need to sell anything, I pretty much stopped. I can also say the older I get, the less I buy. I guess I have pretty much everything I ever wanted.

• Like 5

OP you are not alone, I could have written the same post.  I too learned at an early age maybe in my early 20s the stories people would say about missing a certain gun that was traded away or had to sell due to funding.  So that become a wake up call, and I too do not part with guns that I have acquired and that was over 30 years ago.  The exception was the large collection my dad gave me when he started down hill, these are not the ones that he gave me during my youth, but his own acquired collection. I tried to distance myself to warming up to his collection, to avoid any personification, so I was able to part from some of the collection after I cherry picked keeper items for myself.  I never pocketed any of funding, but turned around used the funds to acquire bucket list guns for my self, so the legacy continues. 

Yes each gun I have has a story, to some a cherished story, to others a silly story, but nonetheless each has a reason, the quest, and then the execution.  I lost the appeal to flip to make a buck 30+ years ago, so my little collection is truly a journey of wants.  I don't have a lot a hobbies, but the ones that I do, I do cherish.  

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

If you have to double your collection insurance more than twice a year you may be a hoarder-

But like most of us we only need to upgrade insurance every couple of years means we are not hoarders-

🥴🙈

That depends on the size of the collection. One gun becomes two, then becomes four. That's doubling each time, but hardly a hoarding problem.  😄

Collecting is what I like to think most of us do. Hoarding is an actual mental health issue. Check out the Mayo clinic's description here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hoarding-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20356056

From the link:

Hoarding disorder is different from collecting. People who have collections, such as stamps or model cars, deliberately search out specific items, categorize them and carefully display their collections. Although collections can be large, they aren't usually cluttered and they don't cause the distress and impairments that are part of hoarding disorder.

It's not necessarily about how much stuff you have or whether you can afford it or not. It's more about that stuff having an unreasonable hold over you, preventing you from enjoying other things, negatively impacting your relationships, etc. It's not unlike an addiction to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc. A severe case looks like what we've probably all seen on TV shows. Milder cases are less severe.

41 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

That depends on the size of the collection. One gun becomes two, then becomes four. That's doubling each time, but hardly a hoarding problem.  😄

Collecting is what I like to think most of us do. Hoarding is an actual mental health issue. Check out the Mayo clinic's description here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hoarding-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20356056

From the link:

It's not necessarily about how much stuff you have or whether you can afford it or not. It's more about that stuff having an unreasonable hold over you, preventing you from enjoying other things, negatively impacting your relationships, etc. It's not unlike an addiction to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc. A severe case looks like what we've probably all seen on TV shows. Milder cases are less severe.

It was a sarcastic joke-

• Haha 1

Have had a few guns which were sold because my needs changed.

Target handguns change as I progress in a particular discipline and a different gun would do me better.

Defensive handguns also change because newer high cap yet smaller options become available (or sights options change)

I have sold guns which just didn't fit me right or shoot well for me (seemed good in store but not when shooting).

I once purchased guns just because I liked them and wanted them. For the past few years, I have only purchased guns for self-defense purposes, and they all have been new ones. I did purchase some bargain deer rifles, but after years decided to give them away also. I kept one, a Savage Axix 7MM 08 just in case I need it.

I have settled on S/W MP 9 MM in Pistols, and Taurus 617 7 shot 38Spl/357 Mag revolvers. Also have a 5 shot J frame for backup. At soon to be 75 Y O, I have started giving my guns to my grandchildren so my wife will not be forced to be bothered with that task. I am keeping my MP's and chosen Revolvers that I have purchased for SD.  I do have multiple firearms of my chosen ones. Just in case I need them. 

I have enjoyed almost every gun I have purchased or inherited over the years.  Always cleaned them at least once a year whether shooting them or not. Collected many guns so my grandkids will not go unprepared for any need.  Still need to thin the heard some more but am getting toward the end for now. Two of my grand boys have put the hunting guns to good use this fall and winter.  Kinda makes me proud because when their ages, I did the same. It gave me a sense of pride to be able to put meat on the table. My grandboys are doing the same with the guns I have given them. 

• Like 1

I really appreciate all of the replies on this thread.  Y'all have given me good insight on your views and I don't feel so much like an "oddity" now, ha.

As to the guns I have, I do still try to schedule time to shoot them all on occasion so they do bring me enjoyment.  I try to shoot them in themes such as taking out my .22 target guns one day, then shotguns, then old historic guns, modern, etc, etc, etc, and that works well. 

Now I just need to figure out how to ride 25 saddles, ha.

Thanks again,

I refused to sell anything for years.  The first 20 years or so of gun ownership it seemed that every firearm I owned had some kind of sentimental connection.  Along the way I sold off a few that I didn't have a connection with and later regretted it.  Like the AK-47 I sold for $300 around 2007.  I'd like to have one again, but can't justify current prices.  Or the Marlin 336 in 35 Rem I sold for $400 or so about 5 years ago.  I simply didn't have any interest in that gun then, but would use it on the regular now, and once again, the value of the gun has probably doubled since I sold it.  Truth be told there is a lot of stuff I own that I haven't shot in a long time, but most has it's niche. I have a few that I just flat out don't use that don't make sense to keep, but as long as I don't need the money they will sit there.  No different than stacking silver bullion in the safe.  

TLDR: I regret some of the things that I've sold so I'm not selling anything that I don't have to. 

I have some in the safe I'd sell, but I'm not in a hurry. They're better than cash in many ways.

I have a few I sold 45 years ago that I wish I'd kept. An Ithaca SXS in 20 ga, a hammer 12 ga, a Ruger .22 bull barrel, an S&W Model 58 41 mag, but small regrets at that and nothing I kick myself over.

Others, like various Colt .45 autos, High-Powers, Colt revolvers, and 15-20 milsurps I was happy to divorce and get a nice settlement. No regrets at all.

I have a few family guns that I'd never sell but will pass on to relatives.

I do occasionally buy for a quick turnover, but none of these lasted long to stay in the safe. Buy 'em, clean them up, shoot them, and unless they are amazing they too go on to someone else who gets a nice gun and I get enough in profit to buy more ammo. I don't think I've done a trade in 30 years or more.

Buy, sell, move on.

Edited by crc4

When I first started buying guns I did sell off the first couple I bought…they weren’t bad guns (Glocks for example) I just found ones I preferred to shoot and carry when speaking of pistols and knew I’d not be carrying those anymore so I did sell them and acquired what I wanted and would carry (H&K and Sig SA/DA), I wouldn’t be upset if I still had the Glocks but I’m not upset I sold them and got the H&Ks or Sigs.  Likewise with long guns.  However, since the early years I have tended to do a fair amount of research and ask around and when possible shoot the gun in question before buying…cause like you, once I’ve got it then, with the exception of the first few, I’ve kept them and intend to add here and there and will eventually hand them down to children and grandchildren.  

I've never sold one I regret selling because I wish I still had it. I've regretted one or two because they've gone up in value so much since selling that I wish I had waited to sell. A LNIB Norinco SKS with ~50 rounds of ammo for $100 and an M44 Mosin Carbine for $200 😄

Edited by monkeylizard

I recently had a Russian Makarov for sale. A buyer contacted me, kept promising to send funds, then 3 weeks after not receiving any funds only promises to 'take care of it,' I let the 'buyer' know I was withdrawing my offer to sell. 

I'm happy. I'd rather have the pistol than the money.

When I’m wavering on a gun purchase, I ask myself, “will I regret walking away from this gun right now?  Will it be easier or harder to get it later at this price?”

You can always get more money but is your opportunity to buy this gun right now one that you’ll regret if you pass it up?

• Like 2

If I didnt buy, sell and trade once in a while, I wouldnt know which guns I like, and which I wouldnt.

Am I the only one that at times just HAD to have a certain model because it was popular, or cool, or new, only to find out I wasnt crazy about it? I have no problem selling those, thats for sure-lol.

And on the other hand, I have taken some in trade that I wasnt crazy about, then fell in love with it. Thats how I got my first CZ, a PCR. The day I first shot it I also had a P226 Legion, and damn it that PCR didnt shoot circles around the Sig (and at about half the cost).  Though that gun cost me a bundle in the long run, since it began my love affair with CZ-lol. And I have more than several to prove it.

With the exception of guns I buy simply to hold and make a buck, I try to keep my gun purchases to well-researched guns that the specs, reviews, and my own style suggest an 85% probability that I'll use and enjoy. Today that's possible because reliable gun reviews by knowledgeable people are available with the help of Google (what constitutes reliable and dsknowledgeable people is another discussion).

If I am disappointed after the purchase, I put it away for a while and try to decide if it's me or the gun. Sometimes I didn't give it a fair trial, was in a hurry to shoot it rather than learn about it, etc., all things relating to me. Then sometimes, it's just the wrong gun for me. Nobody's fault, just my subjective findings didn't match the reality I was expecting.

That's what I discovered 40 years ago about Colt .45 autos and Browning High-Powers. They didn't suit me, and still don't. I do have an FEG HP clone which now is a good shooter I got in a trade, but it could go out the door tomorrow and never again cross my mind. Same with a Colt Police Positive in 32/20 made in 1923. Beautiful gun, but just not me. It too, can go.

At one time or another if you buy enough guns, you get one that is just lousy but you hang onto it thinking it will get better. I have found that thinking is like holding on to a sack of cow manure you hope one day will become chocolate chip cookies.

• Like 1