Extra mag in ankle holster?

Having problems finding a good/comfortable way to conceal a g-19 mag for my 26. I'm thinking of trying an ankle holster unless someone talks me out of it. I know i will have to draw it with only my weak hand.... Maybe i should just keep an extra mag in the car :D

Hard to imagine needing more than 11 rounds, but would be good peace of mind. Especially since i will not have a bug. Not anytime soon anyway.

edit:

Also probably wouldn't be able to pull off a tactical reload before the first mag went dry.

Edited by Ninja9
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't really looked into it much yet. There is this one, but i'm not too crazy about it. Looks like it may be hot for summer carry(?) I would like for the magazine to go in upside down with a snap closure. that way you wouldn't have to pull your pant leg so far up.

I'm thinking about taking a cheap ankle holster, and modifying it. Just taking off the holster part and mounting my magazine holster with a snap closure. Might just go with a g-17 mag if i go this route.

I think it would be a workable alternative to a belt mag holster. But I have never had an ankle holster of any kind before. Hopefully someone will let me know if this idea is just too goofy :tough:

Guest Astra900

Put your extra mag in a knife pouch. Something like Gerber gives out with their knives. It's comfy and if anyone should see it, they won't think anything about. It's what I did for many moons before I turned to carrying a wheelgun.

Astra900--

If i can't get this working, that's what i will do most of the time. It works pretty well worn horizontally, but makes it look like a gun under my shirt if i'm not careful. Vertically it has to be adjusted everytime i sit down... Those glock mags are pretty thick :D

I have been playing with some shapelock. This pic shows a rough test for a pocket mag holster i made real quick that works pretty well in cargo pants. Gotta melt it and remold it to look a little nicer though.

magufo.jpg

nightrunner--

:tough: Might have to wear a cast or fake a limp to pull that off :D

Put your extra mag in a knife pouch. Something like Gerber gives out with their knives. It's comfy and if anyone should see it, they won't think anything about. It's what I did for many moons before I turned to carrying a wheelgun.

Not a bad idea either....

Guest Grout
So was the white stuff on there before or after you put it in your pocket? :D Thank you, I'm here all week.

Ewww.:eek:The knife pouch does sound like a good idea.I usually carry a spare mag in my left hip pocket when carrying an autoloader.

I've been known to carry a spare mag in a cell phone holder. The one that I use is a magnetic flap generic holder. Granted, not a full size mag, but one for an XD compact or M&P compact. It works well and nobody will give it a second thought if they see it. I'm pretty sure that a compact glock mag would fit as well.

That's another really good idea ;) I will probably look into that as another option when i have to have a tucked shirt.

Most everyday i will be wearing an untucked tshirt. So, it won't really need it to be disguised. I'm really just trying to avoid having a big bulge on my belt, and making it comfortable to sit down without adjusting. May not be a big deal for a single-stack mag, but glock mags are closer to the size of a stick of butter :D If i go with something on the belt under a tshirt, it will probably be one of the $10 "glock sport/combat" magazine holsters.

I made an ankle mag case and have enjoyed using it. I usually still have one magazine on my belt, for like someone said, doing a tactical reload. I have found that having one on my belt and one on my ankle is more comfortable that carrying two on my belt.

I used the calf strap from a Bianchi ankle holster and a blackhawk nylon mag case.

I have also been known to just drop a spare mag down in my sock.

E

I will definitely check out that combo. Now i have a place to start at least. Thanks! Good to hear someone else is already doing this successfully too.

Yeah. That was actually me who mentioned losing the ability to do a tactical reload. One legged under stress would be tough :D

That's another really good idea ;) I will probably look into that as another option when i have to have a tucked shirt.

Most everyday i will be wearing an untucked tshirt. So, it won't really need it to be disguised. I'm really just trying to avoid having a big bulge on my belt, and making it comfortable to sit down without adjusting. May not be a big deal for a single-stack mag, but glock mags are closer to the size of a stick of butter :D If i go with something on the belt under a tshirt, it will probably be one of the $10 "glock sport/combat" magazine holsters.

Take a lookie at this one

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1726.php

Can be worn both vertical,and horizontally.

Very comfortable it is-even with a stick of butter!

I have one that fits an XD mag,and it is big enough to carry just about anything.Ive actually got 3 HKS speedloaders for a snub in it right now :)

I will definitely check out that combo. Now i have a place to start at least. Thanks! Good to hear someone else is already doing this successfully too.

Yeah. That was actually me who mentioned losing the ability to do a tactical reload. One legged under stress would be tough :D

Yes it would, especially since you should be moving and finding cover. And once behind cover, it may not be plausible to kneel down to attain the magazine for risk of losing sight of the target.

One thing I have also done in the past is used a fobus paddle mag holder and clipped the paddle onto my boot. It stayed put OK, when drawing the magazine, but I was too paranoid that when I needed it most, the whole package would be in my hand instead of just the magazine. Comfort-wise, I liked it better than having the velcro strap around my leg though.

Guest LieutenantDan67
Take a lookie at this one

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1726.php

Can be worn both vertical,and horizontally.

Very comfortable it is-even with a stick of butter!

I have one that fits an XD mag,and it is big enough to carry just about anything.Ive actually got 3 HKS speedloaders for a snub in it right now :D

*sigh*

Damn internet. Now's there's something ELSE I gotta buy! :rolleyes:

Thanks a BUNCH for all the suggestions guys. I will look into all of them. In the end i will primarily use only one of these methods. But i'm sure other options will be needed at times.

Any additional suggestions appreciated :D

Guest LieutenantDan67
I like wearing carpenter pants that have the straps and handle pockets on both sides. Drop a magazine in either side or both. If you do have to whip it out you don't have quite as far down to travel.

LOL...great avatar!

I wear carpenters more often than not...I'll have to take my loaded Glock mag and drop it in the handle pocket and see how it rides. Those are bulky little mags, don't want to be too obvious.

Guest nraforlife

Question is why? If you get your arse into a situation where your in a firefight WTF are you doing? You should be looking to get out of the area and not slug it out. But to each their own and if it makes you feel safer have at it.

If possible you should get out of or avoid a situation that requires you to draw or fire your weapon in the first place.

But it is not always possible to avoid or get out of every situation, so there is nothing wrong with proper preparation.

Guest Tn.Mitch

I wear alotta cargo shorts in the summer,but you could wear the pants also,with alotta pockets,any number of things you coul;d attach to your belt to hold a mag,If I were going to the trouble of wearing a anckle holster,when I came up from that holster,it would be with a BUG(Back up gun)not a mag,a mag in a gun.I carry a nylon knife pouch carrier,on my belt with a clip,that closes over with velcro,no digging into your side,no one can see whats in it.In in is a Glock 22 Mag,holds 15 rounds of 40 cal.ithas a sleave on it to take up the space at bottom,for my Glock 27,which only holds 9+1

HPIM0571.jpg

agcomp.jpg