Garage Robbery In Brentwood

The news reported tonight had a couple in Brentwood TN were attacked and robbed in their garage last evening around 9:00 PM. Channel 5 had a "Self Defense expert" on TV saying if your attacked in your car, your in a coffin. He advised too just give the robbers what they want because it is not worth dying over stuff. Being in a car you have very little ability to move or evade, just givem what that want. Sound advice IMO. What are your thoughts? Most think that when entering and exiting cars, your really vulnerable. 

6 minutes ago, pop pop said:

He advised too just give the robbers what they want because it is not worth dying over stuff. 

The big problem with this kind of advice is that after you acquiesce, you're still a witness to a felony.  Are you willing to bet your life that the felon won't decide to eliminate witnesses?

Horrifying Security Camera Footage Shows Robber ‘Executed’ A ‘Very Gracious’ Store Clerk: Police | The Daily Wire

And who knows?  Maybe the poor Brentwood couple was just as compliant and non-threatening as this store clerk.

There are plenty of videos online showing people in cars resisting criminal vermin; some with guns, some with hands, and some with their vehicles themselves.  Running over a criminal miscreant can be an extremely effective deterrent.  You rammed your garage door running over the robber?  Well, you're still alive to call for repairs.

I have no inside information into this Brentwood event, and perhaps there really was no recourse other than to submit to the killers.  But planning to surrender, which is what this "expert" is advising, seems like a really poor choice to me.

Saddened,

Whisper

• Like 7

without more details, impossible to address actions and reactions.  A reasonably safe way to enter a garage is with an automatic opener, staying in your locked car, and closing the door behind your car with the opener as you sit in your locked car.  Still one is vulnerable to attack with a gun pointed at you waiting for the door to open or close.

Not everyone has an automatic opener.  Elderly couples may have additional handicaps.  No one is invincable.

• Like 1

Neighbors have these 2 crooks on Ring Doorbell video walking about the area and casing the neighborhood. Crooks cursing looking for pray. What happened to me when I walked to the mailbox that morning.

These two victims just happened to arrive home at the wrong time. Me I was caught too far from my home, with a bum knee coupled with lost mobility, and the punks took advantage of my situation. Guys, I don't walk to the mailbox anymore. I will say having the gun saved my bacon that morning. I sure could have been severely beaten like my neighbor was, by 3 druggies cursing looking for easy prey.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, pop pop said:

Neighbors have these 2 crooks on Ring Doorbell video walking about the area and casing the neighborhood. Crooks cursing looking for pray. What happened to me when I walked to the mailbox that morning.

These two victims just happened to arrive home at the wrong time. Me I was caught too far from my home, with a bum knee coupled with lost mobility, and the punks took advantage of my situation. Guys, I don't walk to the mailbox anymore. I will say having the gun saved my bacon that morning. I sure could have been severely beaten like my neighbor was, by 3 druggies cursing looking for easy prey.

It pays to be armed at all times.

• Like 6

When I'm pulling into my garage, my mobility is limited.  I can't easily run away.  Few (if any) witnesses can see me.  And I have to focus on performing a task (rather than my surroundings).

All of that makes me especially vulnerable.  To some extent it's possible to counterbalance those factors by being vigilant and lawfully armed.

The self-defense expert in the news story covered the basics (try to distance from the threat, give up stuff, and don't let them take you to a different place).  To me what's even more important is to avoid routines. 

48 minutes ago, m16ty said:

I would say the same applies to the would be robber, maybe somebody needs to tell him my car isn't worth him dying for.

I hear you and agree.  But to me it's all about my assessment of the threat to personal safety.  If in that moment I think I can end the threat to my safety by giving the thug my car, I'll do that and consider it among the best outcomes.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, Wheelgunner said:

I hear you and agree.  But to me it's all about my assessment of the threat to personal safety.  If in that moment I think I can end the threat to my safety by giving the thug my car, I'll do that and consider it among the best outcomes.

I honestly don’t know what I’d do, but I hope I would just give him the car if that ended the threat. You are right, the goal is to end the threat, and if that means giving up your property without somebody getting hurt, then so be it.