Do gun magnets really work?

crc4

Twenty years ago gun magnets were touted as great for securing handguns in various and often hidden places. I checked them out but wasn't impressed as they seemed too weak to do the job. Who wants to risk their handgun falling at the most inopportune time?

After checking out the now available gun magnets I bought these.

Gun magnet

I have been pleasantly surprised at their strength. This is my fully loaded CZ 75b easily being held very securely on both the side and top. Even shaking didn't dislodge the firearm. They have a thick rubber coating to prevent scratching your guns.

While I wouldn't trust the adhesive to hold up my guns (no tests, just wouldn't trust it), screwed into wood, brick, metal, etc. it should hold up any handgun without difficulty. I'm impressed.

It's another option for concealment.

IMG_20230113_075151.jpg.297ce3ab41a2f08103b563978062748a.jpgIMG_20230113_075009.jpg.3acb7c27badcd95dc781918de7e74ac3.jpgIMG_20230113_075110.jpg.5986ffe8ec29acc4161fb5dbf5209665.jpg

Edited by crc4
  • Like 2

A cheap alternative is speaker magnets. Just go to a thrift store and buy some cheap speakers. Take the magnets out. Put some high strength double faced tape on one side and stick where the sun don’t shine to hide your pistol. 😆

• Like 3

I generally don’t recommend magnetizing your firearm.  It can (does not mean will) attract debris into vital parts and cause stoppages.  This is a reason that some people check for magnetism and demagnetize firearms during assembly.  

Also, magnets aren’t a holster.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

I generally don’t recommend magnetizing your firearm.  It can (does not mean will) attract debris into vital parts and cause stoppages.  This is a reason that some people check for magnetism and demagnetize firearms during assembly.  

Also, magnets aren’t a holster.  

That would be an interesting test see if firearms get magnetized, how strong is that magnetic field in firearms, how long it lasts, does it attract metallic particles into actions, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you as I don't know, but testing would help resolve some questions.

Just now, crc4 said:

That would be an interesting test see if firearms get magnetized, how strong is that magnetic field in firearms, how long it lasts, does it attract metallic particles into actions, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you as I don't know, but testing would help resolve some questions.

I know I generally see it in regards to firing pins and having to do with primers and other debris around firing pin channels and the parts below them.   For me personally, it’s a risk I’d rather not take.  My gun in my holster on my person.  

• Like 1

To me, even if the pistol gets magnetized it's temporary, and if small metallic particles are attracted, it's minimal at the worst and would be cleared by cleaning and compressed air as far as I'm concerned.

Until testing reveals otherwise, having the ability to hide firearms securely in hidden spots, the benefits outweigh the minuses.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I never considered the magnetized issue. Interesting point. I wonder what the likelihood of that being a problem is. 

The company's that sell the magnets say it can't happen. Or the ones i looked at. That's a huge problem for me. Gun metal is somehow magically different than all other metal 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I never considered the magnetized issue. Interesting point. I wonder what the likelihood of that being a problem is. 

Read this. How To Tell If Your Gun Is Magnetized  Not sure if this is serious or seriously wrong. Could be a new urban legend translation from Klingon.

Here's another read from a gun magnet manufacturer. Makes more sense.

Can a magnet damage a gun?

If it was a serious problem with past serious incidents, wouldn't there be warnings for the FBI, Law Enforcement Agencies, the US Military, etc.?

Or maybe Big Magnet Manufacturers have a conspiracy ongoing.

• Like 1

I haven’t used magnets because a buddy warned me about magnetizing the gun and particles jamming it up. Reading about others using them for years, though, makes me rethink using them. Magnets would be very convenient in the car, under my desk, and other spots. Any recommendations on brands and sources?

1 hour ago, DesertRanger said:

I haven’t used magnets because a buddy warned me about magnetizing the gun and particles jamming it up. Reading about others using them for years, though, makes me rethink using them. Magnets would be very convenient in the car, under my desk, and other spots. Any recommendations on brands and sources?

These are the ones I ordered. They hold up my fully loaded CZ 97b. I've found they are very strong so I've ordered another pair. They also have a thick rubber pad to protect the finish.

Gun magnet