Pistol Brace Rule

You would think after the 5th Circuit Federal Appeals Court b-itch slapped the ATF over the bump stock ban overreach they would have abandoned this folly to change the rules on pistol braces. But, no. Full steam ahead because we - the ATF - answer to no one. 

To paraphrase Whose Line is it Anyway:

"Welcome to the ATF, where everything’s made up and the law doesn’t matter.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I had planned to submit my form 1and 200.00 dollars to sbr my Foxtrot Mike AR9 but it appears I can register it with the brace without paying and change to a regular stock if this rule stands. I would rather it be struck down and pay the 200.00 dollars. I hope the ATF gets a serious smack down in the court of law.  

Check out answers 10 and 11

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/faqfinalrule2021r-08f-correctedpdf/download

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Frog4aday said:

You would think after the 5th Circuit Federal Appeals Court b-itch slapped the ATF over the bump stock ban overreach they would have abandoned this folly to change the rules on pistol braces. But, no. Full steam ahead because we - the ATF - answer to no one. 

To paraphrase Whose Line is it Anyway:

"Welcome to the ATF, where everything’s made up and the law doesn’t matter.”

I honestly do not think it will stick but they gonna try anyhow.

1 hour ago, phiferran said:

So I had planned to submit my form 1and 200.00 dollars to sbr my Foxtrot Mike AR9 but it appears I can register it with the brace without paying and change to a regular stock if this rule stands. I would rather it be struck down and pay the 200.00 dollars. I hope the ATF gets a serious smack down in the court of law.  

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/faqfinalrule2021r-08f-correctedpdf/download

That’s what I’ll do with both of mine if it sticks..but I think it’ll get shot down pretty quick.

7 hours ago, phiferran said:

You may want to look into that further. Unless they recently cut the requirement out of the registration process, they (ATF) had planned to require photographs of the brace on your pistol/SBR at the time of registry to prevent people from getting a free SBR and loosing track of the braces.

Also remember, for those of us living in TN, SBRs and SBSs are no longer illegal according to the state. Unless you live in one of the liberal cities you don’t have any real concern about local, or state law enforcement enforcing the federal aspect….unless you are doing something else wrong. Similar to CA and CO in regards to drugs, and several states in regards to illegal immigration.

• Like 6

"Free" SBR registration means they don't care about the money and they don't want them to be illegal, so they must just want us to register them so they know who owns all the guns. That scares me way worse than the penalty for not registering.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

This is 100% about improving their gun registry, laying the groundwork for disarmament. FPC and GOA are both worth it IMO in terms of fighting this sort of systemic tyranny from a practical standpoint, in addition to the usual pestering of your representatives...

Edited by James B
7 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

You may want to look into that further. Unless they recently cut the requirement out of the registration process, they (ATF) had planned to require photographs of the brace on your pistol/SBR at the time of registry to prevent people from getting a free SBR and loosing track of the braces.

That was my understanding as well until yesterday when the ATF posted differently on their site. They will probably realize their mistake and change again soon!!!  

8 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

They will loose track of them anyway. What would stop me from removing the brace from my pistol and installing it on my SBR. Both would be in compliance. I could just put it in the closet. 

1 hour ago, James B said:

This is 100% about improving their gun registry, laying the groundwork for disarmament. FPC and GOA are both worth it IMO in terms of fighting this sort of systemic tyranny from a practical standpoint, in addition to the usual pestering of your representatives...

Sent extra donations to the Second Amendment Foundation as well this week. They are extremely active with numerous lawsuits making their way through the system. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

Also remember, for those of us living in TN, SBRs and SBSs are no longer illegal according to the state. Unless you live in one of the liberal cities you don’t have any real concern about local, or state law enforcement enforcing the federal aspect….unless you are doing something else wrong. Similar to CA and CO in regards to drugs, and several states in regards to illegal immigration.

So, how does this work though? If I take the "pistol" to the range and then what? Would I get arrested if there is leo there and saw it without the tax stamp? Would I just get refused service? 

5 minutes ago, RC3 said:

So, how does this work though? If I take the "pistol" to the range and then what? Would I get arrested if there is leo there and saw it without the tax stamp? Would I just get refused service? 

The way it's supposed to work is that no state LEO will enforce the federal law regarding SBRs. They will not notify the feds either. I did say supposed to work. If the atf catches you, you'll be prosecuted. It's no different than the pot laws. It's against federal law to smoke pot in Colorado. The feds just don't prosecute anyone. If they go after anyone in Tennessee for a none registered SBR, they should be forced to arrest everyone it the US that uses pot in the (legal) states or federally legalize pot.

They passed a law a few years ago that you could make a  machinegun in Tennessee as long as all the parts were made in Tennessee. No one is brave enough for that lawsuit yet.