Pistol Brace Rule

4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Are either of those letters specifically addressed to you?  If not, they are more worthless now than they were when they were written. 

Well of course the letters are not addressed to me. But what would be the difference if they were? Let’s take a guess and go with there would be no difference. Whether the letters were addressed to me or SB Tactical they stated the ATFs position was that adding a brace did not make the gun subject to the NFA  and that shouldering the weapon did not change that. Now after the fact that millions of law abiding Americans invested in these now they change their minds. I’m sure that’s just fine to you but myself…not so much.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, turkeydad said:

Well of course the letters are not addressed to me. But what would be the difference if they were? Let’s take a guess and go with there would be no difference. Whether the letters were addressed to me or SB Tactical they stated the ATFs position was that adding a brace did not make the gun subject to the NFA  and that shouldering the weapon did not change that. Now after the fact that millions of law abiding Americans invested in these now they change their minds. I’m sure that’s just fine to you but myself…not so much.

It’s well known that ATF letters carry no weight with the exception of to whom they are addressed.  

And for the record, no this isn’t fine to me.  It’s not okay at all.  But it didn’t take Cleo to see this was coming and I warned everyone from day one.   

I know several people in here have hope that some lawsuit is about to change everything but I wouldn’t hold my breath.   I don’t care what the recent SCOTUS rulings were.  This isn’t going your way.  

17 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

It’s well known that ATF letters carry no weight with the exception of to whom they are addressed.  

And for the record, no this isn’t fine to me.  It’s not okay at all.  But it didn’t take Cleo to see this was coming and I warned everyone from day one.   

I know several people in here have hope that some lawsuit is about to change everything but I wouldn’t hold my breath.   I don’t care what the recent SCOTUS rulings were.  This isn’t going your way.  

It may not go “ my way” but I’m not just going to eat it and say I like it. Those letters being addressed to SB Tactical have no more value to SB Tactical now as they do to me. So I really don’t get the point with with that.

I never thought the bump stock ban would be successfully challenged yet here we are. 

Edited by turkeydad
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, turkeydad said:

It may not go “ my way” but I’m not just going to eat it and say I like it. Those letters being addressed to SB Tactical have no more value to SB Tactical now as they do to me. So I really don’t get the point with with that.

I never thought the bump stock ban would be successfully challenged yet here we are. 

Nope.  They don’t.  But they did at one time. They never had value to you.  Which was my point when I brought them up.  

I must be out of the loop because I haven’t seen a successful challenge to the bump stock ban.  Unless you are talking about the lower court ruling.  But I wouldn’t call that a successful challenge.  That’s semantics though.  For me a successful challenge is a case before SCOTUS.   Anything in a lower court, to me, is just a step. 

but hey, if you are happy, I’m happy for you.  

Edited by Capbyrd
5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

This is just typical NRA fear mongering.  Fine print is important.
it’s not 88 days from the time you send the form or even from the day they open the envelope.  It’s 88 days from the day they start the background check.  I don’t have the numbers but that’s very very few denials.  They aren’t going to open the flood gates on day one and hold all the background checks just to deny someone.  They have much easier ways of dealing with us than that. 

They guy from GOA said that the 88 days is not from the date of filing. But he did say the 88 day thing is rare but does happen. But he knows that’s it’s obvious that if hundreds of thousands of Americans or more accept the ATFs amnesty offer that their will be backlogs and as he pointed out after asking about it that depending their whim it might be bad for someone who was trying to play ball with these clowns.

It might be fear mongering to run around worrying about getting bit by a bear. But it’s not fear mongering if you are sticking your hand in a bears mouth.

Edited by turkeydad
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

And what makes it worse is that you are right. I knew when I printed them that they are not binding. 

And I agree with you.. I don’t think think that 88 day bull crap is an intended planned trap. But you know as well as I do that there’s a lot of people who didn’t do anything wrong catch hell trying to play ball with these a$$ clowns.

And I’m just trying to figure out do I want to be put in the game.

Edited by turkeydad
16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

How much of a pain is the Form 1? I've never looked into it. 

I’m kinda looking at it right now. Heck I almost lost my mind doing my kids FAFSA. 🤬

All jokes aside, and yes this whole thing sucks. But, the kid in me was chiming in that a couple of free tax stamps without a waiting period don’t sound too bad in own my personal situation. 

I would just love the heck out of a traditional folding stock on my AKV. And it sure wouldn’t take much to improve the Sba3 brace on my AR. 

My Shockwave is another issue for me. I went ahead and put the birds head on for now. 

I suppose if I did do the amnesty registration on the 2 “pistols” and they went ok I might do the Shockwave later. 

Edited by turkeydad
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't worry about telling a little white lie or omitting certain details. They are always going to have some Trumped up 🤑 regulations that fade away or disappear only to re-appear.  I'm going to have more parts in more places until further notice.    

3 minutes ago, turkeydad said:

I pray thee…speak of this doing of you fingerprints yourself. 

Is there a kit you can buy or something?

I get fingerprint ink off of Amazon. 

The atf will send you cards if you request them from their website. Some dealers will give you cards.  If you order them, get 10 or so. They are free and you'll mess one up.

Edited by Alleycat72
1 hour ago, willki said:

Apparently if your pistol was imported then ATF declares that it MUST be destroyed or handed over to the ATF.

The SP5 pistol is imported without a brace. If one wanted to SBR the SP5 they could easily bring it into 922r compliance by switching out five parts. I own two.  One is a registered SBR with a Lee Sporting complete AR style trigger group featuring a Geissele trigger and the other will remain a pistol without a brace as it was imported. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, willki said:

Apparently if your pistol was imported then ATF declares that it MUST be destroyed or handed over to the ATF.

I think the best usage of this information is to bring the pistol into 922r compliance prior to Form 1 application. 

• Like 1

Not too worried about 922r, at least not with an AK. by the time you add a US FCG, flash hider, all furniture, and a US magazine, you are 922r compliant. Too easy. I can't speak to other type of imported pistols

As I count, the Draco I am currently working the form 1 for only has 6 imported parts in it per the lists.

https://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

https://gununiversity.com/922r-compliance/

• Like 1
On 1/19/2023 at 9:20 PM, willki said:

Just saw a YouTube video that mentions one (probably of many) legal trap in the new rule: 

IF your background check takes longer than 88 days you will be automatically denied.  With upto 40 million new background checks to do, many will not be done in 88 days or less.  So therefore it seems like many of these applications will be automatically denied.  As soon as your form is denied, you are instantly in possession of a NFA item with no approved stamp and therefore are a felon.

Stephen, the lawyer in the video is a standup guy and has fought many court battles for our rights.  I've had the honor of buying him a drink.  If he says there is an issue with it, believe him.

On 1/21/2023 at 9:03 AM, Erik88 said:

How much of a pain is the Form 1? I've never looked into it. 

I've done a few and the approval times are usually pretty decent for a form 1 compared to the form 4.  I've gotten form 1s for suppressors back in 2 to 3 weeks.   It's not bad at all.  I even bought a finger print kit to do my cards at home.

I can't understand why anyone would submit to this process for a brace, as when you submit that form 1 you are also attesting that you are a felon in possession.  In my opinion, this is a bad idea.  See the area in red.  If you submit that you have admitted you are a felon and attest to which law you have broken.

99636143-DB43-4665-9EBA-356E8FA7447F_jpe-2681280.JPG

Glad I passed o one last summer,

Guess this means that now people who bought them last year when the ATF said they were legal, may be considered "Felons"  And face all the penalties and deprivation of rights thereof.

What else do people need to know about the current state of our "Democracy" ?

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

Matt gave these fear mongers much better names. Panic peddlers and outrage farmers.  Stop listening to them!  

I just watched this about an hour ago and thought of you when I did. I was actually going to post it and mention you. That's crazy...and this guy was on point.

It does suck. But being truthful and thoroughly considering the subject matter rationally is the way to deal with it.

• Like 1