New for 2023 Taurus Optic-Ready Defensive Revolvers

TGO David

• Administrator

Let's get this out of the way:  Yes, Taurus.

While they have rightfully received a lot of criticism over the years for producing firearms of questionable quality and reliability, in 2021 they made the wise decision to hire Caleb Giddings, a competitive shooter, US Air Force veteran, and gun-industry insider, to act as their US Marketing Manager. 

The infusion of good ideas and product design feedback from "one of us" seems to have been good for them as their new generation of revolvers is reportedly genuinely worth considering.  People that I have grown to trust the experiences and opinions of are almost all saying the same thing:  "These guns are good to go."

Now, while your brain contorts to rectify that against the old adage Fool Me Once, here are some neat new blasters to make the struggle even realer.

From Caleb Giddings' post on Facebook...

This is the one you've been waiting for, and it's my first launch as a Taurus USA employee that I am deeply, personally emotionally invested in. I am SO proud to officially announce the launch of both the 856 and 605 TORO revolvers - the first ever optics ready defensive revolvers direct from the manufacturer.

Deets: Plate mounts directly to the top strap for a lower mount than would be possible with an aftermarket solution; and fits Holosun K-series optics.

Calibers: the 856 is a 6-shot 38 Special and the 605 is a 5-shot 357 Magnum.

Holsters: we're working with Phlster on a City Special designed around the optic mount, which will be available shortly!

Basically, the gun is an 856 or 605 Defender, but now with sick optics capability. If for some reason you don't want the optic, you can remove the plate and you still have a dope 3 inch fighting gun

Link: All-New Taurus T.O.R.O. Revolvers (taurususa.com)

Taurus 856

Taurus 856 (taurususa.com) - .38 Special

2-856P31_R-e9975146.webp

2-856P39_R-d72cdbed.webp

Taurus 605

Taurus 605 (taurususa.com) - .357 Magnum

2-605P31_R-39c16502.webp

Taurus 605 T.O.R.O. 357 Mag / 38 Spl +P Stainless Steel 3.00 in. First Ever Optics Ready Revolver

• Like 1

I have purchased 3 mdl 617 revolvers which are 7 shot and not a bit of problems with any of them. They are solid and good revolvers. I know some of the first of these revolvers had too close of a tolerance between the front of the cylinder and frame which required a spacer to make them not seize up when getting hot from continual firing. Later models were fine. I never had any trouble with the 3 I have.  The revolvers are K frame size, and I can carry any of them in my pocket in an altered nemesis pocket holster. They have 2" brls and rubber grips on them and also the trigger is great out of the box. One is a lightweight alloy frame and in 38Spl only. The other 2 are 38Spl/357 Mag. I also have seen some of the newer revolvers Taurus is making and I like them as well. I highly recommend them.

I was one of the "burn me once" guys, for a long time, but have come to see the light on these revolvers and the newer ones. 

• Like 1

I’m not surprised to see Taurus introduce these models. While they have had some winning designs lately, they sometimes have unusual ideas about what they think the market demands. I’m probably misjudging the market, but I don’t think many revolver shooters will want optics, and I don’t think most shooters who want optics will choose a revolver. 

I did not know about their association with Caleb Giddings, but that relationship is enough to discourage my interest in purchasing any new Taurus products. 

• Like 2

I'm tagging in with interest.

I've been following this on another forum  where Caleb is a member and has been very responsive to questions.

It's not a terribly large carry package for a 6 shot revolver. I carry either a RDS G-17 or G-19... but I enjoy shooting revolvers.

I don't want to be a "Beta Tester", but will certainly be watching to see how this pans out.

Thank you @TGO David

Edited by Jamie Jackson
Thanks
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

My 65 year old eyes have a problem with quickly picking up these sights. I’m sorry but these on a revolver looks like a bugger on a windshield with wipers on high. I’m not really subject to change. I’m still carrying the same bone stock Sig P220 in 45 since 1986. 

5 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I'm tagging in with interest.

I've been following this on another forum  where Caleb is a member and has been very responsive to questions.

It's not a terribly large carry package for a 6 shot revolver. I carry either a RDS G-17 or G-19... but I enjoy shooting revolvers.

I don't want to be a "Beta Tester", but will certainly be watching to see how this pans out.

Thank you @TGO David

We must be on the same forum.  And I post there under the same name. 🙂

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Good video!  I'm a little shocked that she went there with the commentary about Glocks while talking to another vendor... but he took it in stride.  🙂 

Well Taurus doesn't really make anything to compete with a Glock, so it really wasn't an issue in my mind.  It would be a whole different story if it were S&W, SIG or FNH.

I recently purchase the 856 Ultra Lite and it's a pretty decent revolver. Not optic ready but I just wanted a truck gun that didn't cost as much as my Smiths Rugers or Colt. Pretty snappy recoil  but good combat accuracy. 6 rounds and a front night sight at a good price. I have installed Galloway Precision springs and haven't shot it yet since but the trigger is smooth and lighter enough to suit me.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

The thread in question is over on Pistol-Forum.com.   If y'all aren't already members there, you're missing out on some excellent information in general.

PF was started quite some time ago by a gentleman named Todd Louis Green.   Todd unfortunately passed away a few years ago, but PF continues on thanks to the dedication of others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, TGO David said:

The thread in question is over on Pistol-Forum.com.   If y'all aren't already members there, you're missing out on some excellent information in general.

PF was started quite some time ago by a gentleman named Todd Louis Green.   Todd unfortunately passed away a few years ago, but PF continues on thanks to the dedication of others.

Would have posted this in the open,. but was thinking there was a rule against naming other sites here.  Thanks David!!! 🙂

• Administrator
22 hours ago, Moped said:

Would have posted this in the open,. but was thinking there was a rule against naming other sites here.  Thanks David!!! 🙂

Nah.  The only thing we don't appreciate is when people come here and carpet bomb us with promotions for fledgling sites, trying to seed the ground.

Pistol-Forum is well established, just like AR15.com, Arfcom, etc. but with perhaps a higher degree of quality content for the practical shooter.

• Like 2