If you mean a gun with the same bullet diameter but a shorter case length, then you're talking about the .45 GAP, which is essentially a shorter .45 ACP.  It wasn't a success and I believe only Glock makes guns in that caliber now.

If you're talking about a stronger case that's the length of a .45 ACP, then there's the .45 Super.

Hope this helps,

Whisper

Edited by Whisper

You may be thinking of .400 CorBon.  It's a .45acp case necked down to .40.  Pretty near to 10mm in energy figures.  Easy to handload if you have dies.  Conversion barrels used to be available for 1911s in several lengths, Glock 21, EAA Witness, and others.

Thank y’all for sharing. 

Since 10mm is considered a decent bear round and it’s related to .40, might a similar idea be used for .45 to create a superior bear/woods gun? Or am I missing something and not understanding ballistics. 

7 hours ago, MisterDanP said:

Thank y’all for sharing. 

Since 10mm is considered a decent bear round and it’s related to .40, might a similar idea be used for .45 to create a superior bear/woods gun? Or am I missing something and not understanding ballistics. 

It’s been done in the past in every way possible.  All kinds of .45 derivatives have been come up with over the years.  None caught on in a semi-auto if that’s what you’re looking for.

• Like 1

You can push .45 SUPER to 10mm energy levels. If 10mm is a good bear gun, I don't see why .45 SUPER wouldn't be. It can be shot out of factory HKs, and can be shot out of a Glock with a few minor modifications. .45 SUPER is kind of niche, and good luck finding ammo for it, but if you reload it can be done. 

I have both, but still carry a 10mm in the woods. I prefer the 10mm for sectional density/bullet profile both of which equal penetration. You can get hard cast, flat point, wide meplat .45 bullets, but its still a wider, heavier bullet traveling slower, which compromises penetration.

• Like 1

Let's not forget the .45 Winchester Magnum. I had a buddy who bought a new LAR Grizzly in the 80's. It was basically a big 1911 with a big grip to hold those rounds. The barrel stuck out of the slide a couple inches. Looked pretty cool. 

He let me fire it one time, as in ONE shot. Ammo for it was outrageous, even back then. It was on .44 mag level in a semi-auto. They never caught on really, I think the Desert Eagle pretty much buried any real interest in the Grizzly. 

LAR Grizzly MkI - .45 Winchester Magnum | Guns, Hand guns, Guns tactical

• Like 3