Beretta bringing back the Cheetah .380

tercel89

What is Beretta smoking these day ? They are bringing back the Cheetah in .380 but with an MSRP of $799. I am a huge Beretta fan and shoot the 92 series a bunch but my God that is a lot of money for a .380. I can't see these guns selling much at all. Maybe people that are more fan boys than I am will buy one. $799 is way to much in my opinion. I know it now has the red dot cut on it but dang , there's no justification for that price. Ok , I'll get off of the soap box and see what you guys think. 

Used Cheetahs are bring that now.  As for MSRP, you can probably count on it being around $100 less, once it hits the stores for a bit.  I think Beretta is seeing how successful FN and SA have been with the re-interduction of the Hi-Power name and design and looking to capitalize on the name of the Cheetah.

I have a Turkish made clone of the Beretta 84 Cheetah, called the BR380 Fatih. I actually, love shooting this pistol and carried it quite often before I picked up my Ruger MAX-9. Now it resides next to my chair in the living room. I enjoy shooting it far more than my Walther PPK/s, which after a couple of magazines, I find painful to shoot.

I know that guns usually sell for around $100 less that their MSRP prices but it seems after the Covid mess and other things , some places started asking the full MSRP. Not all but some. But still that sure seems high for what it is. As far as the Turkish Fatih pistol. I have held myself back from getting one for a while now. I've saw some good reviews. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I know that guns usually sell for around $100 less that their MSRP prices but it seems after the Covid mess and other things , some places started asking the full MSRP. Not all but some. But still that sure seems high for what it is. As far as the Turkish Fatih pistol. I have held myself back from getting one for a while now. I've saw some good reviews. 

If you ever get over to this part of the state, we'll meet up and you can shoot mine!  For the money, I think they are had to beat compared to other compact .380s.  That being said, it's off the rotation.  I rotate between the Max-9 and the LCP Max. Both are lighter and easy to carry.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cannonball said:

I had a Cheetah years ago and it was good pistol. With the numerous offerings of .380 models today, I can’t see myself buying another. 

I'd buy one, just for the Beretta name, but I will not pay that for it.

1 hour ago, Frog4aday said:

I like the Cheetah & would be interested in a new one but agree with @tercel89 that $800 MSRP is on the steep end. We'll see what they are actually going for in a year or two. The Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield EZ is a nice alternative these days.

I can't see me paying that for one either, even for the Beretta name, since I like this Tisas so much. 

The one thing that the Beretta has that the Tisas Fatih does not have, is a decocker. It's manual safety only, just like the original Beretta 84. That doesn't bother me, but I have already been told by one person, that he wouldn't have it because of that.  I cut my teeth shooting 1911a1s and they didn't have a decocker either. I just learned how to lower a hammer, on a live round. Or I drop the mag and eject the live round.  But I guess that was hard for him...

• Like 1

Here's the link to the new Cheetah. Not a fan.  Why do they feel the need to tacticool everything now-a-days? The original Cheetah was a beautiful pistol. The new one is Fugly (note the capital F). I'm okay with the optic cutout, but that rail under the dust cover just sucks.  The back of the grip is too straight.  There isn't an elegant line on this pistol. Wood grips would have been much nicer, for $800.

One thing they did do right, is slim the grip down, though.    I also love the dovetailed front sight. For $800, there should be a night sight on it. 

80X Cheetah (beretta.com)

• Like 2

Looking @ the 80X Cheetah, it is obviously an 'update' with modern additions, versus a bringing back of the old gun, as it was. I get it. Maybe they can pull in some newer & younger customers with the changes. But it makes me less enthused so I must not be the target audience. It seems like a solid choice for smaller handed & recoil sensitive people. Still...$800?!

• Like 2

I like the X treatment on the 92 compact and still have a spot in the safe for one.

At first glance this 80x looks very similar. Can't justify the price tag but much like the 92x a man should be able to find one more reasonably priced down the road. 

Edited by FUJIMO
39 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I am just not a 380 fan. 

Neither was I, but suddenly, I've found that I own three of them! How that happened, I have no clue!!! 😁

The three I own are a Tisas Fatih (Cheetah clone), a Ruger LCP Max and a Walther PPK/s. The Fatih is my recliner pistol.  The LCP Max is my small, discreet carry pistol and the Walther is something to look at and not shoot very often. It's not a fun range toy at all. I'd much rather it be in .32ACP.  Then it might be handy.

• Like 1