Big Firearms news out of Murfreesboro, TN. Barrett Firearms sold to Nioa

OldIronFan

The largest privately owned Australian company and Southern Hemisphere firearms juggernaut Nioa has purchased Barrett Firearms Manufacturing outright. Ronnie and Chris Barrett both to stay on in and advisory capacity for the immediate future. Current President and COO promoted to CEO and President respectively.  

Press releases below. 

https://barrett.net/2023/01/16/nioa-acquires-us-manufacturer-barrett-firearms/

https://sporting.nioa.com.au/latest-news/nioa-acquires-us-manufacturer-barrett-firearms

Edited by OldIronFan
adding content
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, et45 said:

I assume the Barretts will still own  the Outpost Armory?.

Chris Barrett does. I do not believe it was involved in the deal for the separate Barrett Firearms Manufacturing company. AFAIK they have always been separate entities. 

Not so sure if I like this or not, prices will go up 40%, the aus company will probably run it into the dirt, they’ll probably only sell to military here and outside of the US and that will be the end of it. Just want Brandon and the other elective mental cases want. I’ll hold onto my rec seven probably be a collectors item before long.

• Like 1
On 1/17/2023 at 9:08 AM, DesertRanger said:

I suppose that will result in our enemies being able to purchase the 50’s. This purchase could not have happened without US govt approval, could it?

Not sure how that would result in enemies being able to purchase .50 cals. Who owns the company does not change ITAR and who they can sell to. The US government already has control over who they can sell and export to. 

Yes the purchase would have to have been reviewed and approved through the US GOV. Again ITAR and all. Probably the State Department and the GOV entities that Barrett currently is under contract with.  

• Like 1

Some actual facts about this whole deal rather then grumblings and conjecture,

-Nioa is a privately owned company and a family owned and run company. The largest in Australia. 
-Nioa started as a small business, a single retail store, and grew into the the defense contractor for the Australian military. Their story is not that dissimilar to Barrett's 
-They supply everything from fighting knives to 155mm armillary munitions, many items sourced from other small independent companies like ZU Bladeworx. 
-If it is Firearms or ammunition related in Australia or New Zealand it was probably sourced, imported, and distributed by Nioa. They are already partners with numerous firearms related companies including Glock, Ruger, Remington, Marlin, Savage, and Colt. 
-Nioa is not just a military contractor. They supply firearms for sporting and hunting markets in both Australia and New Zealand. 
-They have been direct partners with Barrett for more than a decade as the importer of Barrett products into Australia and New Zealand. This includes the recent partnership with the Land 159 Tranche 1 contract when the Barrett M107A1 was selected as the anti material sniper rifle. 
-Nioa previously purchased the Fieldcraft product line from Barrett and will begin producing that product line again in the near future. 
-Nioa already had a presence here in the US and connections/partnerships with both the US Gov and US military. The purchase of Barrett expands that presence and gives them a production capability in the US they did not previously have.  

Australians citizens can and do own firearms even though they do have restrictions. Their current gun laws are probably less restrictive than California, Illinois, New York, and a few of the other North Eastern states here. They are certainly less restrictive than many other developed nations in Europe. Nioa, like Barrett, looks to have always been on the side of protecting and/or expanding gun rights in Australia. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

-Nioa previously purchased the Fieldcraft product line from Barrett and will begin producing that product line again in the near future. 

That is great to hear.  Fieldcraft hunting rifles were some of the best feeling rifles I have ever shouldered.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That is great to hear.  Fieldcraft hunting rifles were some of the best feeling rifles I have ever shouldered.

I do not know any details about availability here at this point though. I would guess if they can get the production number up high enough to have a surplus over the Australian/New Zealand market demand they might make them available here in the US again. I do know they will not be using the same stocks as those were carbon fiber units produced out of Alabama and were a significant portion of the cost of production. They would likely find a more local source or possibly even produce their own furniture. 

20 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

I do not know any details about availability here at this point though. I would guess if they can get the production number up high enough to have a surplus over the Australian/New Zealand market demand they might make them available here in the US again. I do know they will not be using the same stocks as those were carbon fiber units produced out of Alabama and were a significant portion of the cost of production. They would likely find a more local source or possibly even produce their own furniture. 

That is disappointing to hear.  The actions were great but the ergonomics of the stock is what made it shoulder and feel so good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 4:45 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

Nobody needs a 50 cal.

they need 2, 

Well technically there are three common models so the correct answer is 3, a M82A1, a M99, and a M107A1. No collection is complete without at least 1 of each.