Rediscovering a passion (for clays and over/under shotguns)

Sreduos.

I recently rediscovered my passion around shotguns, specifically over and unders as well as shooting sporting clays. I have been purchasing some here or there and my main tool is a new Browning Citori CX White, it's a fantastic sporting gun and I love it, but I go with other folks who often times don't have their own shotgun or do but it isn't necissarily ideal for a sporting course. I have let folks use my gun and I really don't have any issue with it but I think it's always nice to have more guns so what better excuse to get a not so nice version of my gun to clean up and work on and also shoot and share? 

Now these guns are a bit on the pricey side, and not necissarily the most popular type of shooting style here in TN so I chose to go the online route in search of a deal. I came across a posting for a used Citori, with 78 photos for <$1000.00. So I jumped at it, after loking through the photos I was fairly confident I was getting a well loved gun, it had been used but also well taken care of and customized a bit for the previous shooter. Those suspicions were confirmed when the gun showed up at my local FFL. I wasn't sure of the age of the gun but was pretty sure it was older than me. When I finally asked for the S/N to date it the seller had already dropped it off at their FFL and didn't even take note of the S/N.

I received it today and sure enough it is a pretty darn good shotgun, definitly shot, but fit and finish is very nice, it's almost as tight as my brand new one, and the S/N checks out as a 1978 production year and the model designation is J53, which is a special order of their standard Grade I Hunter "153" configuration, meaning it was likely part of a large batch of orders for a specific chain of stores.

It has 26" barrels, fixed choke of modified over improved cylider, which happens to be exactly what I run in my CX White (I knew that when I bought it), it has the automatic safety bar removed, and the butt pad has been shaved and rounded, so it seems like this gun was used as a clays gun. The only thing it doesn't have that I prefer is a mid-bead which I will look to add at a later date likely.

Right now I'm just very happy with my purchase, I happened to have an old case I got on here for a trade a while back that she fits perfect inside of (and my CX White does NOT fit in with the extended chokes installed).

Anywho, this is the result of a lot of foam cleaner, a lot of bore cleaning, and toothbrush work and then oil and lube. She has a few nicks and dings but nothing I'm not going to add to, and if I get really frisky later I may just take a crack at some repair/refinish work as I do enjoy working on my firearms. 

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

IMG_8050.jpg

IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

Edited by Sreduos.
  • Like 2

While I prefer the look of a classic side by side, I tend to shoot an over and under better.

A tractor trailer couldn’t haul all the shells ejected from my 20 gauge Citori Superlight. It’s still running strong.

Dad has and old 20 gauge Superposed. It is a simply awesome shotgun.

Looks like you made a great score on this one! Congratulations.

The quality of Citori's never fails to impress, especially for the money spent on them. It's nice to see an older one that was used but not abused, getting a second lease on life. You got a nice shotgun @ a good price. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Nice post. Thx for sharing.