Favorite & Least Favorite Gun Shops in Middle Tn.

Guest hickok

Guest tdtennessee

has anybody had a good experiance at the gun store in lavergne, i think its called specialty arms? i dont know if i was there on a bad day or what but the big guy behind the counter was a complete *******. there was 3 people in the storejust walking around and it still took quite a while to get him to help me. i wanted to look at an XD45 and he kept saying that thats not what i should get and kept bringing up other guns. after asking him several times he finally got it out and handed it to me but still saying i should buy something else.

i liked the way it fit my hand and went to the saddle shop on 96 and had him order one for me. i would rather wait a couple weeks than give someonr my money that treated me like i didnt know what i wanted. this was a little over a year ago, mabey they are better now but they will not get any money from me.

guns and leather is where i took my class for my permit a couple years ago and have nothing bad at all to say about them. i wished they were closer.

gun city on mborro rd has been a hit or miss store also

i might have to go check out this hero place i keep reading about.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anybody had a good experiance at the gun store in lavergne, i think its called specialty arms? i dont know if i was there on a bad day or what but the big guy behind the counter was a complete *******. there was 3 people in the storejust walking around and it still took quite a while to get him to help me. i wanted to look at an XD45 and he kept saying that thats not what i should get and kept bringing up other guns. after asking him several times he finally got it out and handed it to me but still saying i should buy something else.

i liked the way it fit my hand and went to the saddle shop on 96 and had him order one for me. i would rather wait a couple weeks than give someonr my money that treated me like i didnt know what i wanted. this was a little over a year ago, mabey they are better now but they will not get any money from me.

guns and leather is where i took my class for my permit a couple years ago and have nothing bad at all to say about them. i wished they were closer.

gun city on mborro rd has been a hit or miss store also

i might have to go check out this hero place i keep reading about.

I went to Specialty Arms once about a month or two ago and my experience was pleasant. Prices were decent and they had a fairly large assortment of stuff. Gun City is a "never will I go again" store. Can't stand them or the dungeon. Prices are awful, selection is non existent, and the dungeon is just dangerous.

Guest TnDeerHunter

A lot of good info here thanks to all. A bit off tread but in the same line if ever in E. Tn stay far away from Crowder's Gun shop. Well knowned for selling guns twice and taking money for guns to order and never ordering them.

• 2 months later...

Dickson sportsman store in Dickson Tn. I have been going there for 20 plus years I love the owner he will take all the time needed with you to be sure you are educated on your purchase, thier prices are good, and they usually have a awesome used selection. Nashville Sporting arms are the worst ( guy is a jerk and selection suxx), followed closely by Franklin gun shop, I went in there to get a shotgun forend for my pro hunter, they could care less about helping me find it. needless to say in that huge inventory they did not have it, and never offered to order it after I asked about ordering. If your not there spending a buttload of money I guess they could care less about you. They do have a great selection, but they are crazy on thier old gun/collector gun prices. 1199.00 for a fired,no box , buffalo bill rifle is comical. Thier colt SAA 1st gen. are almost double what they are actually worth.

Guest JHatmaker
Didn't see any one post on Guns for America near 100 Oaks, but I recently purchased a Kahr PM9 there. The owners name is Tom and he is one of the most friendly guys I have ever bought a gun from. The shop is as well stocked (about like the reloaders bench for inventory). Wonderful experience there and would recommend going by and checking out the store if you haven’t already. Tom really reminded me of someone who truly cares about the customer experience, and seemed to go out of his way to ensure you are happy with a purchase there.

Yes! Love Guns for America, great staff. Their prices are very reasonable as well. Other places I like to frequent;

East Side

ASP

G&L

Steve's Archery in Columbia (little log cabin hunting store a couple miles down the road off of Exit 46 on 65 South).

Hero-Gear, never beenbut know their rep is top notch, so based on that I'd give them my business.

Middle of the pack would be: On Target, have not had good service any time I've been there (seems they just don't care, ie if I don't buy it someone else will); Goodlettsvile Gun, and only reason they aren't higher is they just don't have much selection, their staff though is awesome.

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest Astra900

Good: I trade mostly with the Reloader's Bench, & Belleshire when I need to order something, Phil is awesome. Those two get thumbs up. I made one trip to the Outpost, and despite one thing I didn't like (and I was apologized to for it, so it's no foul) I found the selection and guy behind the counter pretty nice. I'll be going back there too. I also like to go in Franklin Gun, their selection is top notch.

Bad: Franklin Gun is the WORST. Yeah I know I said I like to go in there, because I do. I like to go in, look for what I want, handle it, get an idea if I want it; Then leave and go buy it somewhere else cheaper. I could go the extra cost of Franklin Gun's inventory if the WHOLE place wasn't run by a bunch of "Think they know everything" Snobby Douche Bags. I've never been :shrug: on as rudely as I have there. Then they :) on my wife, and her with cash in hand. If the people at Franklin Gun ever go broke and were standing in the soup line, I'd laugh my a22 off, cause they deserve it.

Guest JHatmaker
Franklin Gun is the WORST. Yeah I know I said I like to go in there, because I do. I like to go in, look for what I want, handle it, get an idea if I want it; Then leave and go buy it somewhere else cheaper.

Exactly what I do... :shrug: Probably stood next to you many a time.

Guest Astra900
Exactly what I do... :D Probably stood next to you many a time.

You almost feel guilty for doing it, then you see Brian, your blood pressure goes up a few points and all guilt just vanishes:D

Guest HexHead

Worst: Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte Ave. - poor inventory & whoever the older fellow is in there needs a personality transplant at his earliest convenience.

Once you get to know him, he's a nice guy. Now I go in about once a week to see what he's got new and shoot the breeze with him for an hour or so. Sometimes he has some really nice stuff in the back that doesn't make it to the cases. I've bought most of my pistols from him over the years. So he actually makes my Best list.

Also on that list is Guns & Leather. Everyone's been saying they have a great selection and great prices and the best range in town. They also have a really great gunsmith, Jeff Walle, there part time. Really makes them a one stop shop.

Bill at Eastside is another guy I've gotten friendly with and have had good buying experiences with. He's now got a a p/t gunsmith there as well. I grew up in the NYC suburbs, so I get his sense of humor.

I also like the way I've been treated every time I go up to APS in Joelton. They're closer to me than G&L, so I often go there to use the range.

I've been to the Reloader's Bench once and it seemed like a really neat place.

Worst:

Franklin Gun Store. Even my wife described them to my friend at Nashville Sporting Arms as "pirates".

Gun City. Its just a dump.

Edited by HexHead
Guest boatme99

Well, I'm new to Mid. Tn. and live a bit out of the way in Smith Co. There's a very local place here called Turkey Creek Overalls. It's really old school. Owner and his son run the whole thing. Everything for hunting & fishing, clothes, boots, and tons of accessories. Everytime you go in you find something interesting. I bought a Bersa from him, and he always seems to have some ammo stashed away when I need it.

Also like The Outpost, and Top Gun alot.

Guest KevinM
Once you get to know him, he's a nice guy. Now I go in about once a week to see what he's got new and shoot the breeze with him for an hour or so. Sometimes he has some really nice stuff in the back that doesn't make it to the cases. I've bought most of my pistols from him over the years. So he actually makes my Best list.

Also on that list is Guns & Leather. Everyone's been saying they have a great selection and great prices and the best range in town. They also have a really great gunsmith, Jeff Walle, there part time. Really makes them a one stop shop.

Bill at Eastside is another guy I've gotten friendly with and have had good buying experiences with. He's now got a a p/t gunsmith there as well. I grew up in the NYC suburbs, so I get his sense of humor.

I also like the way I've been treated every time I go up to APS in Joelton. They're closer to me than G&L, so I often go there to use the range.

I've been to the Reloader's Bench once and it seemed like a really neat place.

Worst:

Franklin Gun Store. Even my wife described them to my friend at Nashville Sporting Arms as "pirates".

Gun City. Its just a dump.

Yup. I've actually bought 3 firearms from the store. While his inventory may be less than other stores, he ONLY buys what he can sell and make a little money on without jacking up prices. From what I have seen, while everyone else's prices have gone up his have stayed relatively the same...

Guest coldblackwind

Consistent favorite- Hero gear, they have a ridiculous inventory, their prices are mostly good, although occasionally he gets a bit high, they are generally darn good.

Semi favorite (don't hate me)- On Target. Strangely enough they have started to develop personalities lately! They actually not only spoke to me, but joked around with me the past two times I went! Not to mention I walked away with the only two smoking deals to ever leave that store :up: (glock 30, and a box of ammo, $397 otd, and a galil pretty much brand new for $650).

Consistent least favorite- Executive protection in tullahoma. Horrible inventory, horrible prices, and even worse service.

2nd least favorite- tollivers pawn shop. Great prices, awful service. Took me 15 minutes to get them to take a gun out of the case for me, then they walked off for 15 minutes, took me that long to get them back over there. Then they took a half hour to START the background check, then about a 15 minute wait for someone to ring it up, all told, 2 freakin hours!

Sometimes least favorite- The outpost. Its hit or miss, you will either get a nice, knowledgeable person, or a total idiot who has no business in any sort of customer service. Like they guy who was trying to convince they lady who had never fired a gun that the bersa she couldn't even pull the slide back on was the perfect gun for her....plus their prices are seriously hit or miss, either great or ridiculous.

Yes, I had almost forgtten Bill at East Side Gun Shop. He is a lot different in person and very nice to talk to in his shop.

If you want some good conversation stop in and see him, he has two different personalities, on-line and in person.

• Administrator
Yes, I had almost forgtten Bill at East Side Gun Shop. He is a lot different in person and very nice to talk to in his shop.

If you want some good conversation stop in and see him, he has two different personalities, on-line and in person.

I just don't get that, but to each his own I guess. I like to know that the people I talk to in person are the same as they are online and vice versa. I'm a pretty likeable smartass in person just like I am on here. :D

Guest bluecanary25

Places I have done business with or visited in middle Tn.

Like: Eastside, G&L, ASP, Outpost, On Target, Bellshire, Hero, Gun Country.

Dislike:none really, being on a budget (that means I am married to a woman that does not share feelings about gunz), I winder shop mostly. So I generally do not feel ignored as I want to be left alone.

Many shops referenced here that I have not been to, yet.....

But it is good to know my options.

Regarding Bill and 2 personalities. To state the obvious, it is difficult at times to convey "true meaning" via text. If "F*ck yo* and the horse yo* rode in on.", wuz directed to you. Is it in fun or an insult? Hard to tell intent........

my 2 yen, so "frell" ya'll.... :D (this IS in fun)

I haven't been to Game Fair since they moved to their new location from West Nashville, but they were always very nice people. I believe they moved to Bell Meade, or down that way somewhere. They carry strictly top of the line type of stock. If you like antique Winchesters, Parker doubles, or $1200 fly rods, they are second to none in my opinion.

A honrable mention for Craigs Firearms for LEO/Military,

Are you talking about the Craig's in Knoxville off Chapman highway? If so I loved that store, I got to go in the back room and see all of his FA guns with a FFL buddy, and then we got to pick through all of the used guns/police trade ins. Amazing place, if your a LEO/military/FFL.

ASP - I took my HCP class there, great place friendly guys.

Bellshire Hardware - I haven't been in the store but I've exchanged a few emails with him, asking questions about the RIA 1911s and he was great.

Eastside - I also have had good experiences in his store and would have no problems shopping there or sending family there.

Guest JHatmaker
You almost feel guilty for doing it, then you see Brian, your blood pressure goes up a few points and all guilt just vanishes:D

So true, maybe he's stressed out or something, but anytime I've ever had a conversation with him, he acts pissy.

Guest 3pugguy

Guns and Leather - good selection, good range, good guys.Bought a couple of pistols there, price was competetive.

I also like TN Gun Country in Clarksville (out on 41A north). Friendly, easy going guy and he said Dennis (owner I think -you guys likely know) at Guns and Leather helped him get started. He gives a discount to military, including retired (even a retired squid like me). Got my BUG (KelTec) there.

Of course, gun shops are like hardware stores - I see one, I want to go in, so I like this thread and am keeping notes for when I am out and about our fair state, so thanks everyone!:stare:

Barry

Edited by 3pugguy
can't spell
Guest MERRILL

I've been satisfied with Eastside Gun Shop on Trinity Lane in Nashville. Bill Bernstein has always given me good deals. Small inventory but good service; Reloader's Bench in Mt. Juliet is good also.

Guest Plainsman

Made my first trip to Hero today....must say I had an A+ experience. Everyone was very nice and helpful. The prices were a little high on some things, but they made up for it easily in their customer service. Its so nice to walk into a shop where they actually care about you these days. It amazes me how so many of these shops treat you like your not welcome. Are they really doing that good to risk my business and my word of mouth??? I haven't been in some of the shops that have been talked about, but I must say that Franklin Gun is a little big for their britches and Uselton is on something for stating he is for closing the "loophole". I"ll try to get into Guns and Leather soon, but again, I had a great experiance at Hero this afternoon.

Guest FlyntG

Being new here, I'm not sure what the "nameless" gun shop is, but I havent seen Friedmans Army/Navy mentioned..maybe thats it? I'd not call it my *favorite*, but I've purchased more handguns from there than anywhere else, as well as several long guns. Mainly convenience. We do a lot of work in the Vandy/Green Hills/Forrest Hills area and it's easy to just drop in and see whats for sale.

I've been to Sporting arms, Gun Mart II or whatever he's calling it this week more than once to buy something and be convinced I'd rather spend my money somewhere else, even if it costs more.

I took my CHP class at Gun City. The selection is not so good, but it is getting better.

There is a little shop in Franklin...Lock, Stock and Barrel. Not much selection, but they'll order stuff and have a good smith. Good service, just very small.

I am not sure why everyone keeps mentioning On Target. I have been there multiple times, when they were busy, and not. I have never felt like I was ignored, and I have talked with all of the staff numerous times. I will be trying to get a job there in the next couple of days, and will let you know how it turns out.

Guest coldblackwind
I am not sure why everyone keeps mentioning On Target. I have been there multiple times, when they were busy, and not. I have never felt like I was ignored, and I have talked with all of the staff numerous times. I will be trying to get a job there in the next couple of days, and will let you know how it turns out.

On target has a reputation for ignoring people. I've been there and had them completely ignore me, look right through me like I didn't exist. I watched Bukowski on here spend 10 minutes trying to get someones attention and noone so much as looked at him. Lately however, they seem to be much improved, my last couple trips they talked to me, and actually showed they have a personality. Prices are still mostly ridiculous ($3500 AK, $900 590) but even that seems to be getting more reasonable of late.