5 Memphis cops fired after suspect killed

AuEagle

Emotions are definitely running high on both sides and make no mistake Memphis is soooo divided. I grew up in Memphis and at 65 I can tell you it isn’t the Memphis I grew up in. I live in a suburb and still don’t leave my house without being armed. IMHO if Memphis were to burn to the ground it would be a hell of a start to turning Memphis back into the city it once was. Memphis won national city beautiful awards for four straight years. Don’t ask me when, you can look it up. What a difference 30 years makes. Even driving through on the interstate is a very risky proposition. Memphis is number 1 nationwide in murder rate. Doesn’t that just warm your heart. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, derf said:

Memphis won national city beautiful awards for four straight years. Don’t ask me when, you can look it up. What a difference 30 years makes. 

Jerry Clower used to say Memphis won the Cleanest City in America award because a train named the Panama Limited used to drive through so fast that it sucked all the trash right out of town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzovL3-dHPU

Edited by BigK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

What exactly do they think happened? It said cause of death unknown. 

It has been told to me (by a friend on MPD) that the officers’ actions were grossly over the line and that they are a stain on the uniform. He expects that they will, and deserve to be charged. I have not seen the video, but I’ve been told that a field goal kick maneuver to the head while restrained is in it. 

32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

From everything I've been following and the ER pics I imagine some or all of them are suspected of beating his ass like he owed them money. And that ultimately led to this death I guess.

4 hours ago, AuEagle said:

I’m hearing local law enforcement is preparing for unrest after the video is released next week. It can probably be avoided if charges are filled prior to the video release. 

Secondly, I understand the need for the Scorpion unit, but car jackers disguised as cops are a regular occurrence in Memphis.  Young people I’ve discussed this with are more likely to run if it’s an unmarked car or keep driving while calling 911 to ask for a marked car. Both actions that may protect one from car jackers, but will definitely piss the undercover cops off. 

It’s a bad situation. If those cops did what they are suspected of doing, I’d  like to see them buried under the prison. 

58 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Memphis could be awesome….but it ain’t. Form your own opinion as to why this is.

This statement applies to any large city.  Bad  elements are more mobile than ever. Use to be our local criminals would mostly avoided  the suburbs because of the high visibility of law enforcement. Now the criminals follow the easy opportunities  regardless of the area.

I’m scouring the country now looking for somewhere near a beach to safely settle down. I’m tired of being hyper vigilant just going out to dinner. These f’n kids today don’t care about anything. I never imagined I’d be saying those words. I’m getting old.  

51 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Apparently he was beaten an tased while restrained. He arrived  at the hospital in really bad shape and was unconscious and on dialysis when he died. 

• Like 5
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Secondly, I understand the need for the Scorpion unit, but car jackers disguised as cops are a regular occurrence in Memphis.  Young people I’ve discussed this with are more likely to run if it’s an unmarked car or keep driving while calling 911 to ask for a marked car. Both actions that may protect one from car jackers, but will definitely piss the undercover cops off. 

Re: the Scorpion units, it’s my understanding that they staff these primarily with young hard charger types. This can be a recipe for exactly this type of disaster without the proper guidance and supervision of experienced officers seasoned with age as well as time in uniform. Only one officer involved here had 5 years on the force and a high, adrenaline, high threat unit like this only amplifies the need for experienced and levelheaded personnel. 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Re: the Scorpion units, it’s my understanding that they staff these primarily with young hard charger types. This can be a recipe for exactly this type of disaster without the proper guidance and supervision of experienced officers seasoned with age as well as time in uniform. Only one officer involved here had 5 years on the force and a high, adrenaline, high threat unit like this only amplifies the need for experienced and levelheaded personnel. 

Exactly 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

From everything I've been following and the ER pics I imagine some or all of them are suspected of beating his ass like he owed them money. And that ultimately led to this death I guess.

7-10 years ago they could get away with that to. It's almost impossible to believe they would do this on body cam knowing the repercussions. If true, they need to be charged. 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

7-10 years ago they could get away with that to. It's almost impossible to believe they would do this on body cam knowing the repercussions. If true, they need to be charged. 

Just had this conversation today about what people in general do knowing full well they are being filmed . Agreed.

• Like 1

It’s a good thing these five were fired before the video comes out.  Releasing the identities of the officers involved hopefully will reduce the extent of what could, and may very still will be, a powder keg.  Nationally, we don’t need any more of this #### and Memphis sure as hell doesn’t need it.  I’m afraid the late ‘60’s turmoil with strikes and MLK followed by the fire and police strikes there in the late ‘70’s will be nothing compared to what could happen after this.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Excellent point, but it will be ignored by the city council when someone mentions widening the candidate pool for the job by allowing non-Shelby County residents to be hired.  Memphis is short on officers, but shrinking the department's recruiting potential is more important because POLITICS

38 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I have doubts.

8753A8E1-1735-442E-8FD0-28C2DC2542C8.png

They’re cops. Their skin color doesn’t matter. Many blacks believe they’re treated worse by black cops, especially the male cops. 

If there are protest, the police would be smart to create a buffer zone similar to what Rawlings did several years ago and let it fizzle out. If the cops do anything that’s perceived as aggression that’s going to set it off. Lots of idiots looking for a reason to act out and destroy property. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Links2k said:

They’re cops. Their skin color doesn’t matter. Many blacks believe they’re treated worse by black cops, especially the male cops. 

Skin color has a lot to do with it these days.  Many blacks are in fact treated worse by black cops.  I grew up watching it… in Memphis.

• Like 2

Once Ben Crump signed on with the family, that told me everything I needed to know about the seriousness of this case. Dude is a world class ambulance chaser, and he only signs on to slam dunk cases that he can use to agitate the black community while forcing governments into huge settlements. 

• Like 1

The bad part is that it made the national news. Now there will be out of town instigators pouring into the city to get their piece of the action. MPD, TBI and now the feds are getting involved. This poop show is just getting started. 💩

What strikes me as bad is that nobody has given any details of what happened. The only story is that Nichols was pulled over for reckless driving. There was a "confrontation", Nichols broke free and ran. Cops caught him and there was another "confrontation".  Exactly what kind of "confrontation" has never been explained. From the very beginning people were saying cover up. Firing these officers comes too late to help MPDs already dubious reputation. And I suspect that the firings were purely political in nature. City leaders saw the poop storm coming and quickly moved to cover their own asses. 

MPD is under staffed, poorly led and incompetent. Has been for years. 

Yeah, I grew up in Memphis too. Memphis today is a far cry from the one I grew up in. That's why I moved out 30 years ago. 🤬

19 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I suspect that the firings were purely political in nature. City leaders saw the poop storm coming and quickly moved to cover their own asses. 

IMO the city and MPD drug their feet on this incident. The local news reported the story shortly after it happened. The next day the deceased family was raising hell that he had been put in the hospital with serious injuries. Three days later the young man dies. The DA rightfully referred the investigation to TBI.  Days later police announced that they would be holding an administrative hearing the following week, which was held on Friday. The incident was discussed on national news earlier in the week. The feds got involved. The entire time people are already suspecting an attempted cover up. 

If the city and the cops wanted to avoid suspicion, they should have immediately released the video and suspended the officers pending investigation. They allowed rumors about misconduct/cover up to grow wings. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

SHOULDN’T matter, but unfortunately does.  

Many a civil rights industrialist tonight is probably lamenting what they initially assumed to be a golden opportunity.