5 Memphis cops fired after suspect killed

AuEagle

3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

SHOULDN’T matter, but unfortunately does.  

Many a civil rights industrialist tonight is probably lamenting what they initially assumed to be a golden opportunity. 

You may be underestimating the dislike of police regardless of color.  I just want this mess over before it gets warm outside. 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Links2k said:

You may be underestimating the dislike of police regardless of color.  I just want this mess over before it gets warm outside. 

No, I get it, but some groups push the narrative that white cops are out hunting black men.  This incident doesn't help their cause, so I think riots are less likely. 

White cops or black, I'm not judging anyone until I at least see the video (if it does become available). 

On 1/22/2023 at 7:27 AM, deerslayer said:

No, I get it, but some groups push the narrative that white cops are out hunting black men.  This incident doesn't help their cause, so I think riots are less likely. 

White cops or black, I'm not judging anyone until I at least see the video (if it does become available). 

I just watched  Ben Crump’s press conference concerning the murder of Tyre Nichols.  Describing what they saw on the video there was a three minute beating that was initiated two minutes from Nichols home and ended 80-100 yards from Nichols home. Nichols was reportedly attempting to run to his home. Nichols repeatedly asked “what did I do” and called for his mother. A local attorney, like many other Memphians questioned “why did all of these plain clothes officers in unmarked cars conduct a traffic stop.”  The beating was described as worse than Rodney King and violent by both attorneys and the former officers failed to render aid. 

Attorneys stated that Nichols was used as a human piñata, he was defenseless and an unadulterated nonstop three minute beating. 

Ben Crump mentioned all of the former officers being black. “If they saw Tyre as a brother, they wouldn’t have done him like that.”  Crump also started a chant of “WE WILL SEE WHAT THEY DID TO TYRE.”  

From all accounts he was a good kid with no reported criminal record.  Nichols lived with his parents, worked at FedEx with his dad, had lots of friends and was heavily involved in photography and skateboarding. 

The family requested only peaceful protest if anyone wanted protest after seeing the video. 

The DA said the video would be released within one to two weeks. Community members in the the audience were outraged. Crump told the audience “If the video wasn’t released in two weeks, y’all do what y’all gotta do.”

Edited by Links2k
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, Links2k said:

The DA said the video would be released in two more weeks. Community members in the the audience were outraged. Crump told the audience “If the video wasn’t released in two weeks, y’all do what y’all gotta do.”

I strongly suspect that the two week delay is both to allow time for the charges to be filed and for the city to prepare for unrest when it is released. 

• Like 2
Just now, Chucktshoes said:

I strongly suspect that the two week delay is both to allow time for the charges to be filed and for the city to prepare for unrest when it is released. 

My understanding is the city started preparing for unrest last weekend.  I expect some of those out of town characters who visited Atlanta over the weekend to show up. 

• Like 1

Not condoning a beating at all, but every one of these seems to involve someone fighting with the cops and then running.  If you didn't do anything wrong, why run.  Even if it was for a minor violation, when are these people going to realize that running only makes it worse.

The result doesn't fit the crime it sounds like, but jeez I just can't imaging thinking anything good is going to come from fighting with a group of cops.  Good ones or bad ones for that matter.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Links2k said:

My understanding is the city started preparing for unrest last weekend.  I expect some of those out of town characters who visited Atlanta over the weekend to show up. 

Yeah, they’ve been getting a lesson in Atlanta not being Portland. Lord willing, them Georgia boys will put enough of a hurting on them that they’ll carry their asses home. The city is hurting enough without them making it worse. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Not condoning a beating at all, but every one of these seems to involve someone fighting with the cops and then running.  If you didn't do anything wrong, why run.  Even if it was for a minor violation, when are these people going to realize that running only makes it worse.

The result doesn't fit the crime it sounds like, but jeez I just can't imaging thinking anything good is going to come from fighting with a group of cops.  Good ones or bad ones for that matter.  

People scared for their lives don’t think or act rationally. That makes the responsibility of the agents of the state to act correctly and justly all the more important. Yeah, it’s a difficult job, but it’s no excuse for what went on here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4
35 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

People scared for their lives don’t think or act rationally. That makes the responsibility of the agents of the state to act correctly and justly all the more important. Yeah, it’s a difficult job, but it’s no excuse for what went on here.

In both of the sh*tty jobs I had in my youth that involved placing handcuffs on people, there was always a huge emphasis placed on deescalation.  I don’t understand why the so called law enforcement officers of today can’t comprehend this simple skill. 

Very good point @Chucktshoes.  I’m terrified of getting pulled over, because I’m immediately at the mercy of someone’s insecurities when they see a huge black man. A fear many will never understand. 

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Links2k said:

In both of the sh*tty jobs I had in my youth that involved placing handcuffs on people, there was always a huge emphasis placed on deescalation.  I don’t understand why the so called law enforcement officers of today can’t comprehend this simple skill. 

Very good point @Chucktshoes.  I’m terrified of getting pulled over, because I’m immediately at the mercy of someone’s insecurities when they see a huge black man. A fear many will never understand. 

While I am sure that is how you feel, I am also pretty confident that you would not run from them or escalate the situation.  There are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part if you act like a normal person, you will be treated like a normal person.  

De-escalation should be standard operating procedure, but it should be on all parties to deescalate if they are really worried about their lives.  Even with these 5 cops being jackwads, I highly suspect we would be having a different conversation if the kid killed had just bit his tongue and cooperated.  

Doesn't make it right, but I would bet big money it would make it true.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

While I am sure that is how you feel, I am also pretty confident that you would not run from them or escalate the situation.  There are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part if you act like a normal person, you will be treated like a normal person.  

De-escalation should be standard operating procedure, but it should be on all parties to deescalate if they are really worried about their lives.  Even with these 5 cops being jackwads, I highly suspect we would be having a different conversation if the kid killed had just bit his tongue and cooperated.  

Doesn't make it right, but I would bet big money it would make it true.

We’ve both been on TGO for many years, and I’ve recounted several stories of my life here.  There is nothing that I’ve shared that was imagined or false. Thank God you will never know the feelings I’ve expressed or experienced.

It’s not as easy as cooperating. How many times have you heard law enforcement yelling for an individual to calm down while experiencing a traumatic experience?  Some people can’t overcome the fear of the situation. If everything you’ve seen, heard or experienced tells you that an interaction with a cop will go south, you are currently experiencing your worst nightmare. 

You are correct, I would never escalate a situation or run from a cop, but that’s only because I’ve had the experience of being on the other side. Most in society don’t have that benefit. 

• Like 6

I wanted to share this last weekend, but chose no to. Rumors are a dime a dozen, but last Friday I was drawn into watching a local broadcaster’s YouTube show where he said he would be sharing something shocking concerning this case.

The guy is controversial locally, but I check him out every time something big occurs in Memphis.  He’s paid for sources or snitches for years and developed friendships all over city and county governments. That being said, he’s still not everyone’s cup of tea, but his leaks mostly turn out to be reliable. 

Anyway, last Friday he showed two grainy photos of what he claimed to be the young man already deceased while on the ground and on a gurney.  Further placing the accounts of the incident into question, the young man’s mother claims that he was already dead when she got to the hospital and the police waited days before announcing the death. 

The last rumors circulating today are about two EMTs from Station 55 being suspended regarding this case, as well as a shift supervisor and several other officers being suspended related to this case. 

Once again, this is just hood news. It’s worth what you paid for it. It will be very interesting to see the video, follow the investigation and potential trials. 

This was posted by the individual today. We’ll see in the coming weeks how reliable this information is. 

040AC430-B95E-40C4-9691-1B6234BDCC5A.thumb.jpeg.0d818cd498a4550c895ae2e12d741826.jpeg

• Wow 1

Oh Dear Lord! let's hope that's not true. I hate to think of what could happen. 😵

I predict that C.J. Davis will be looking for a new job soon. 🙄

Ok, couple of things I'm not straight on. Were the officers in uniform or plain clothes when this happened? Patrol cars or unmarked?  

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Oh Dear Lord! let's hope that's not true. I hate to think of what could happen. 😵

I predict that C.J. Davis will be looking for a new job soon. 🙄

Ok, couple of things I'm not straight on. Were the officers in uniform or plain clothes when this happened? Patrol cars or unmarked?  

Plain clothes members of the Scorpion Unit in unmarked cars. Similar to Jack Owens old Jump and Grab Unit. 

Yep, CJ will be out soon. She was a terrible hire. I’d like to have Tony back, but he’s sitting pretty after retirement and working privately. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 3

I did a bit of research. This Scorpion Unit seems to be based on aggressive policing. Go out and find the bad guys before/while they commit the crime. Seems it was also Davis' idea and was started a few months after she took over in 2021. Not sure how I feel about aggressive policing. The 5 guys fired got a bit over aggressive and now a man is dead. 

Oh yeah, stick a fork in her, Davis is done. 💩

Maybe the next chief will be hired for good qualifications and not political correctness. 🙄

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Links2k said:

Plain clothes members of the Scorpion Unit in unmarked cars. Similar to Jack Owens old Jump and Grab Unit. 

Yep, CJ will be out soon. She was a terrible hire. I’d like to have Tony back, but he’s sitting pretty after retirement and working privately. 

They are still uniformed but not the normal uniform.   They are generally in grey chargers that are, indeed, unmarked.   

And in case y’all wanted to know. MPD SCORPION Unit.   “Street Cars Operation to Restore Peace In Our Neighborhoods”

• Like 2

This appears to be really bad. When the camera footage comes out to the public, if it is not tampered with, could get much worse. Memphis is just not a nice place to be in now. Was thinking of camping at Memen Shelby Park, but my brother-in-law, who years ago lived near there, told me to stay away from it. Said in his opinion it was no longer a safe area.  

I read Tom Givens book, "The ABCs of Self-Defense" and he mentioned he had 67 students that who were forced to defend themselves around Memphis and told the stats of all of them. He had a training school there for 21 years, but he is retired now and lives in Florida. He said Memphis is the most dangerous city in the United States for its size.   

Memphis is just not for me. I feel sorry for my wife's 77 Y O sister who lives there and can't get out. 

How often does this happen when the person stopped by police does not run or fight?  It would be interesting to find out why he ran and what happened after he did.  We are told that black men are all but justified in running because look at what happens when they get stopped, but most of the incidents cited are horrible examples that the victim/suspect had warrants, tried to run over the officer, etc. and could have easily avoided.  This one appears to be an exception, although none of us have all the facts and probably never will.  It is a tragedy if black men are taught to run any time they are stopped and then fight if need be because you are going to get badly hurt or die regardless.  That seems like they are being conditioned to carry out a self-fulfilling prophesy. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2

Unfortunately my elderly parents still live in the Memphis area. I got out in the 90's and I have tried for years to get them to move but they have remained set in their ways. They seldom drive at night any more but I have at least convinced them that if they can not easily identify the vehicle as a marked MPD or Shelby county sheriffs patrol car they should continue driving, not pull over, drive toward the nearest police station, and dial 911 on the way. My father does not speed and I doubt he has been pulled over in better than 50 years so if someone tries it is likely they are up to no good. He also won't travel armed and does not even own a firearm anymore for home defense so I worry about them even when they are at home. 

If anything less than murder charges are brought against the officers involved before the video is released I imagine the unrest, riots, and mayhem are going to spiral quickly out of control. 

Can’t say much good about Nashville vs Memphis or other cities, but one thing they’ve done well the last couple years is release body cam/dash cam videos pretty dang quickly. Sometimes same day or next day.  Granted, nothing as seemingly egregious as this case in Memphis, though.

I would like to begin with prayers for the young mans family for their loss. There is always a lot of pain when a child is lost, especially so needlessly.

Now as far as a person running from police when stopped. I have never understood why they do that. Running for any reason is only going to make the situation worse......JNHO

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2