5 Memphis cops fired after suspect killed

AuEagle

In my research it seems that one of Scorpion Unit's goals is to cut down on the wave of drag racing, donuts and assorted other car tricks that have been plaguing Memphis streets for the last few years. These street racers have gone so far as to block major streets and Interstates to put on their little shows. The goal is not only to stop this, but to impound the cars used. 

Its stated that Nichols was originally pulled over for reckless driving. Could it be that he was involved in these sort of activities? Street racers get real touchy when they might lose their car. Maybe that's why he ran? What exactly did he do to be pulled over? I wonder if we'll ever know? 

Still no excuse for being beaten to death. ☹️ 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

In my research it seems that one of Scorpion Unit's goals is to cut down on the wave of drag racing, donuts and assorted other car tricks that have been plaguing Memphis streets for the last few years. These street racers have gone so far as to block major streets and Interstates to put on their little shows. The goal is not only to stop this, but to impound the cars used. 

Its stated that Nichols was originally pulled over for reckless driving. Could it be that he was involved in these sort of activities? Street racers get real touchy when they might lose their car. Maybe that's why he ran? What exactly did he do to be pulled over? I wonder if we'll ever know? 

Still no excuse for being beaten to death. ☹️ 

I don’t know what happened, but I suspect he wasn’t stopped for failing to use a turn signal. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I don’t know what happened, but I suspect he wasn’t stopped for failing to use a turn signal. 

I'm sure your right about the turn signal but they said it was reckless driving. If he was involved in the street racing and concerned about losing his car, running away he would surely lose it.....JMHO

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I'm sure your right about the turn signal but they said it was reckless driving. If he was involved in the street racing and concerned about losing his car, running away he would surely lose it.....JMHO

Or he might get away.  MPD has a fairly strict no pursuit policy and the bad guys are well aware.  If MPD chases someone in a car (assuming they follow their own rules), they probably have a good reason.  It’s not even clear (or at least I haven’t read) whether he didn’t stop, stopped and decided to leave in his car, ran away on foot, or some combination.  If it turns out that he was one of those fine citizens who, in the last two years, has decided it’s ok to shut down streets at gunpoint, get 3” from other cars while changing lanes at 125mph on I-240, or do the hit-and-run routine and he finally got caught, I will have less sympathy for him.  But I won’t judge him or the cops until I see some facts and evidence.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

The sad thing is that this will cause even more people to run from police. Why pull over if there is a chance you could get beat to death. 

Why own a gun if there is a chance it will kill someone unintended?  Why take a vaccine if there is a chance it will do you harm?  Why anything?

I am not Black and I am not saying I can relate to everything.   But I have worked with police all over the world for 25 years and while some are meat heads, I don't know of one who is shooting someone for cooperating.  There is a cause and effect and we have lost site of the root cause in 99.9% of these situations in my opinion.

As my 6th grade teacher told me and I still tell others today.  There are excuses and there are reasons.   Running and not cooperating is an excuse, not a reason.

Edited by Hozzie
spelling
  • Like 3
55 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I don't know of one who is shooting someone for cooperating.

I know of a few in Minnesota that kneeled on a guys neck until he died. 

I agree with the gist of your response though. I'm not sure what the solution is here. I wouldn't run from police but I also don't expect them to beat someone to death if they do run. I'm wondering what the videos will show.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Just heard on the evening news that Al Sharpton is coming to town to deal with this. Oh ain't that just swell. 🙄

Al can smell money from 5,000 miles away. 

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

Passing the plate I’m sure.

Passing the Molotov cocktails too. Another violent 'peaceful' demonstration is going to happen.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, crc4 said:

It's unwritten, but well known to law enforcement and prosecutors. It's been common parlance for at least 25 years.

So you have no facts or proof about this phenomenon? Just something that one would expect biased cops and prosecutors to say, and you believe it. GOTCHA!  I was very interested in reading about it. 

1 hour ago, Links2k said:

So you have no facts or proof about this phenomenon? Just something that one would expect biased cops and prosecutors to say, and you believe it. GOTCHA!  I was very interested in reading about it. 

You've got nothing. Just because you've not heard it doesn't make it not so. I'm betting that if you Google the saying you'll discover something new. Then you can read about it. 

It has to do with flim-flam, scams, slip and falls, and other cons. It's not biased, it's not political - it's a reality. People have always tried scams to get money they don't deserve.

Edited by crc4
1 hour ago, crc4 said:

You've got nothing. Just because you've not heard it doesn't make it not so. I'm betting that if you Google the saying you'll discover something new. Then you can read about it. 

It has to do with flim-flam, scams, slip and falls, and other cons. It's not biased, it's not political - it's a reality. People have always tried scams to get money they don't deserve.

Yeah, I’m tracking you. I never responded to any of your post, because I already had you pegged based upon your interactions with other members. 

I took your advice and googled the term. You’re correct, I had never heard it before. I guess I don’t associate with the same type of people you do. You are the company you keep. Stay classy!

75CA4AA4-F952-43BD-AE26-C6242E7272F8.thumb.jpeg.126c40ea98cb3a9e8de55eb56fcfe8b6.jpeg372A86C3-3BE2-4901-8CFA-8C3CB25F5BA1.thumb.jpeg.57a337cc3a2f8fae068298aa9e997114.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, crc4 said:

It's unwritten, but well known to law enforcement and prosecutors. It's been common parlance for at least 25 years.

If this term is being used by police and prosecutors that you know, it speaks volumes about them. You may not realize what exactly is being spoken, but it’s the quiet parts out loud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, crc4 said:

I grew up in the areas that these people call dangerous and refuse to go into.   The people you are talking about are some of my closest childhood friends and I’d go so far as to say brothers.  I’ve met plenty of people that would jump at the chance for a lawsuit from a car wreck or falling in a business but I haven’t met a single one that would risk an encounter with the police for that opportunity.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

.  I’ve met plenty of people that would jump at the chance for a lawsuit from a car wreck or falling in a business but I haven’t met a single one that would risk an encounter with the police for that opportunity.  

I have. 

• Like 1

Looks like the video is going to be very bad. The former officers have been indicted and jailed. Pastors as well as local and federal politicians are calling for peaceful protest and begging for calm after the video release. 

Second degree murder, aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression are the charges. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Looks like the video is going to be very bad. The former officers have been indicted and jailed. Pastors as well as local and federal politicians are calling for peaceful protest and begging for calm after the video release. 

Second degree murder, aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression are the charges. 

Cops didn't have a crime that justified an arrest???

4 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

Cops didn't have a crime that justified an arrest???

He was pulled over for reckless driving and the situation escalated quickly. The police chief said in a Facebook video that other officers are under investigation, but their involvement is less egregious. 

‘It’s the lead story on some cable networks. They’re reporting that police chiefs across the country are preparing for unrest.

Edited by Links2k
33 minutes ago, Links2k said:

He was pulled over for reckless driving and the situation escalated quickly. The police chief said in a Facebook video that other officers are under investigation, but their involvement is less egregious. 

‘It’s the lead story on some cable networks. They’re reporting that police chiefs across the country are preparing for unrest.

The kidnapping charge is what's got me. It leads you to believe that they didn't have cause for a stop or arrest. I want to watch the video before I judge anyone's actions. This is no different, however everyone that believes its okay to hurt random people because of this are as bad as the people that committed the original crime. 

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Alleycat72 said:

The kidnapping charge is what's got me. It leads you to believe that they didn't have cause for a stop or arrest. I want to watch the video before I judge anyone's actions. This is no different, however everyone that believes its okay to hurt random people because of this are as bad as the people that committed the original crime. 

Agreed. I truly hope cooler heads prevail.