5 Memphis cops fired after suspect killed

AuEagle

The video is due to be released tomorrow after 6:00 pm. Channel 3 hinted that the video may be redacted.  I doubt that anybody will see it all until the trials start. I do hope that people will remain calm. 

Bail for all 5 officers has been set at between $250,000 and $350,000. 

If the defense attorneys have any sense at all, the first thing they'll probably do is file for a change of venue. My guess is the trials will be held in Nashville. 

This now a major national news story. All of MSM is covering it. Even Biden released a statement on it. Memphis is gonna take a beating. 🥴

I think saying all eyes are on Memphis right now is an understatement.  Just heard about it on one of those radio news snippets they have between programming.

I really hope this horrible situation doesn’t explode into something more damaging to our society that is already literally hanging on a fringe.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I think saying all eyes are on Memphis right now is an understatement.  Just heard about it on one of those radio news snippets they have between programming.

I really hope this horrible situation doesn’t explode into something more damaging to our society that is already literally hanging on a fringe.

BBC and NHK both mentioned it on the nightly broadcast 😳

• Wow 1
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I once held hope that Memphis would not go insane over this.  As bad as things got around the country during George Floyd, what happened here really was almost entirely peaceful.  

that hope is gone.  Al Sharpton is giving the eulogy at the funeral and Ben Crump is giving “a call to action” at the same.   I now believe that we will have a lot of outsiders stirring the pot here and making this something that it otherwise would not have been.  

I pray I’m wrong. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I once held hope that Memphis would not go insane over this.  As bad as things got around the country during George Floyd, what happened here really was almost entirely peaceful.  

that hope is gone.  Al Sharpton is giving the eulogy at the funeral and Ben Crump is giving “a call to action” at the same.   I now believe that we will have a lot of outsiders stirring the pot here and making this something that it otherwise would not have been.  

I pray I’m wrong. 

You will absolutely have an entire nation of agitators swarming in to raise hell of some kind.  Sharpton, Crump, main stream media, and social media will help guarantee that.  

I pray that I’m wrong as well.  

• Like 3
On 1/24/2023 at 3:08 PM, Erik88 said:

I know of a few in Minnesota that kneeled on a guys neck until he died. 

I agree with the gist of your response though. I'm not sure what the solution is here. I wouldn't run from police but I also don't expect them to beat someone to death if they do run. I'm wondering what the videos will show.

I recall a guy in a hotel room who was killed doing exactly as he was told crawling on his hands and knees begging to not be killed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Daniel Shaver shooting. Police officer had “You’re f’d” on his rifle. Clearly a bad Apple. Every profession has them.  Claimed PTSD, still getting a pension as far as I know. 

I’ve stayed away from this thread because I’ve tried to reserve judgment until the video comes out. That being said…

After seeing the video of him skateboarding I’m fairly confident that even not being in peak physical shape I could fireman carry him over my back without worrying about it. I used to lift bundles of shingles or bags of mortar up scaffolding that weighed as much as him. Not even considering the fact that center of gravity on someone that tall and skinny should be relatively easy to take down and control.. Again, not peak physical shape…

I believe in law and order, I have many LEO friends.  That being said there’s no reason why someone who weighs 140-160lbs sopping wet should be jumped by 5 guys that look like they could be a DE at a DIII school. And beaten like that.

I’m reserving judgement until the footage/details are released, but If they try to get cute and edit it than I feel like that’s clear cut malfeasance.

I certainly didn’t agree with the Portland OR riots that lasted for three months, but I also was not okay with plain clothed jack boots with no identification grabbing people off the street and throwing them in a minivan. 

Again, all for law and order and a general supporter of policing policies as a law abiding citizen. That being said… if they release a redacted video I’ll have no choice but to believe it really was too heinous to show.

• Like 3

The CBS evening news had this as their lead story tonight and spent a good 5 minutes on it. That was followed by a story of how other big city PDs are preparing for unrest when the video is released. 

BTW: the reason the video won't be released until sometime after 6:00 pm on Friday is so the people have time to get off work, make it home, businesses have time to close and traffic can clear before the video hits. 

It seems that the whole country is expecting riots over this. I really, really hope they're wrong. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The CBS evening news had this as their lead story tonight and spent a good 5 minutes on it. That was followed by a story of how other big city PDs are preparing for unrest when the video is released. 

BTW: the reason the video won't be released until sometime after 6:00 pm on Friday is so the people have time to get off work, make it home, businesses have time to close and traffic can clear before the video hits. 

It seems that the whole country is expecting riots over this. I really, really hope they're wrong. 

Same here

Edited by Links2k
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Releasing it on a Monday morning makes more sense to me. By Friday night people are already drinking. 

If the video is half as bad as rumor says, timing won’t matter.  

also, the video released now almost certainly won’t be the full video.  Not to hide or cover up anything but because it’s generally the case.  We rarely see complete footage in these cases until the trial.  Also, it’s gonna be a lot of footage.  3-5 dash cams.  5 body worn cameras.  At least one sky cop camera.  

40 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I think it’s a bit cold for much rioting to take place.

Has it been mentioned anywhere just what the young man did to put himself in this situation? I expect it was a bit more than a taillight out.

The only thing I’ve seen is reckless driving. 

This is a similar case, but the guy lives. He was repeatedly kicked in the head after cops were shooting random people with rubber bullets from an unmarked van. A problem occurred when they encountered an armed citizen that defended himself against a threat that was firing at him and had already scored one hit.

When you take a round, you don't always know what happened or that you were shot. The guy probably had no idea it was a rubber bullet. Only that people are shooting and he caught one. 

This s'%t makes it hard for every single police officer out there. If they report something, I'm sure it will be equally hard for them. 

The police chief announced that there was no evidence of probable cause for a traffic stop.  What the hell does that mean?  Why would the police chief say that?  Why would she say it out loud?  Why did they stop him?  What exactly do we have here?  Is this something other than straightforward police brutality?  Did Nichols and one or more of the officers already know each other?  Her statement definitely makes me wonder what exactly the hell happened and why. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

The police chief announced that there was no evidence of probable cause for a traffic stop.  What the hell does that mean?  Why would the police chief say that?  Why would she say it out loud?  Why did they stop him?  What exactly do we have here?  Is this something other than straightforward police brutality?  Did Nichols and one or more of the officers already know each other?  Her statement definitely makes me wonder what exactly the hell happened and why. 

Scuttlebut amongst my MPD friends is that he was known to one of the officers already... 

…or should I say the wife of one of the officers. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Scuttlebut amongst my MPD friends is that he was known to one of the officers already... 

…or should I say the wife of one of the officers. 

I heard that too from a friend and figured it was a BS rumor and refused to mention it.  Now I wonder.  

• Moderators
Just now, deerslayer said:

I heard that too from a friend and figured it was a BS rumor and refused to mention it.  Now I wonder.  

What you posted is the only reason I mentioned it as well. 

If that turns out to be the case, then I would expect at least one charge to be upgraded. 

• Like 2

I, too, would very much like to know the reason for the initial stop. Exactly what did Nichols do? 

One thing that bothers me is that the Police Chief, the Mayor, the DA, head of TBI and just about everybody else has already declared these officers guilty. Not one single official involved in the investigation has offered any doubt at all. While they are very likely guilty as sin, there's no way these guys can get a fair trial. A good defense attorney will play that for all they can. Anything can happen. None of it good.