5 Memphis cops fired after suspect killed

AuEagle

9 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Davis’ statement is baffling

What I'm seeing from Davis and other officials is a huge case of CYA. These are her officers from a special unit she created and she threw 'em under the bus without a moment's hesitation. I'm curious as to what the rank and file think about this?

• Like 1

To be honest, no one needs to see the video except the Prosecutors, jury, and family.   All showing it does is initiate the next killing of someone innocent, whether that be a person or cop.  

This is not a special situation.  It happens every day to thousands of people, but this one fits into a narrative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

What I'm seeing from Davis and other officials is a huge case of CYA. These are her officers from a special unit she created and she threw 'em under the bus without a moment's hesitation. I'm curious as to what the rank and file think about this?

SCORPION was supposedly created in 2001.  

Another housewife joining in. Since we’re discussing rumors, I’ll join in. For the past week there have been rumors that the deceased was romantically involved with one of the former officer’s lady friends. No proof of this, and none of the former cops are married.  There is also rumor that these are the same cops who robbed an individual at a Poplar Ave hotel recently. No proof of that.  Lastly there is a local news story where a gentleman has photos of the unit (same guys) after they accosted him a few days prior to the death of Nichols at a gas station on Ridgeway and Quince looking for a pound of dope.  The individual was a passenger in a vehicle and had exited the vehicle to go across the street to pick up a pizza while the driver purchased fuel. The individual claims in the news story that he was released after stating he didn’t have drugs and wanted to contact his lawyer. The cops stated to the individual there was no reason to get lawyers involved, and said they were joking about the drugs, then released the individual. A complaint was filed with IAD twice and garnered zero response. 

As for the reckless driving. Chief Davis just did a live interview stating that the police department looked at multiple nearby traffic cams, pole cams, business cams and body cams and could find no evidence that Nichols was involved in reckless driving or driving on the wrong side of the road. Hence the chief saying the things she said about the behavior of her officers. 

The chief said the video would be released at 6pm on YouTube and memphistn.gov. The video will be about a hour long with footage from 3-4 cameras. Video will be from body cams, pole cam and dash cams. The video will show the officers initial contact with Nichols at a 10 on a scale of 1-10.  There will be tasers and oc spray deployed and poor attempts to handcuff Nichols by several individuals. 

The video will show the second contact very clearly via pole cam that was brutality violent that lead to Nichols injuries. The video will show Nichols asking “what did I do” and saying something about his mother. The video will also show the cops attempting to sit Nichols up a couple of times, then slumping over and mumbling. Lastly, the video will show lapses in time of the cops failing to render or call for aid and first responders delaying aid and milling about upon their arrival.  The chief said the only thing s redacted from the the video are license tags of nearby vehicles and some individuals.  There are several fire and pd employees currently under investigation. 

So the former cops weren’t thrown under the bus. The city, county and police department were being transparent as they promised the citizens of Shelby County they would be when they put Davis in charge.

Some people think the three weeks for charges was too slow and others believe the charges were abnormally fast. I’m the latter, but I believe it’s a good thing.  At the end of the day, no traffic stop should end in this manner. 

As far as riots, I expect more of the agitators will be outsiders and the usual local unruly violators. Most Memphians are very vocal about wanting to peacefully protest, but not wanting to tear up the city.  We will see. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 8
46 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I searched the web and all the info I could find on it says Davis created Scorpion in 2021 several months after she was hired. I didn't find any reference to it before then. 

The unit was formed in 2021 and it was one of Davis’s initiatives aimed at gangs, street racing and violent gang crime in high crime areas of the city. 

12 minutes ago, Links2k said:

The unit was formed in 2021 and it was one of Davis’s initiatives aimed at gangs, street racing and violent gang crime in high crime areas of the city. 

Nichols family attorney Romanocci is currently giving a press conference and requesting that all the special units be disbanded, stating that they are oppressive terrorist units. 

My company just announced our drivers won't be able to drive in Memphis after 1800. The Memphis Police Department has advised that all cargo shipments that come into the Memphis area should reroute and cross the Mississippi river through I-55 at Dyersburg. 

• Wow 2

Caution is probably warrented.  No one knows what is going to happen, but you can bet there will be some agitators out.  I have to go to a wake over by Briley/40 on the west side of Nasvhille tonight.  I would normally drive my car, but tonight will be my 4x4 truck with plenty of self defense options.  It's sad to say, but you just don't know when stupid things are going to happen.  I really hope no one tries to block highways.

Edited by Hozzie

@Hozzie You could add ~10 minutes to your drive and take OHB through Brentwood towards Bellevue, then back in towards town on Hwy 100/70S or Hwy 70. That avoids most of Nashville altogether and stays in the areas less prone to protests. Then  if it turns out to be a big nothing-burger, take your regular route home.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Caution is probably warrented.  No one knows what is going to happen, but you can bet there will be some agitators out.  I have to go to a wake over by Briley/40 on the west side of Nasvhille tonight.  I would normally drive my car, but tonight will be my 4x4 truck with plenty of self defense options.  It's sad to say, but you just don't know when stupid things are going to happen.  I really hope no one tries to block highways.

Why would anyone think it's going to anything but  a peaceful, orderly, well-behaved protest just like all the other peaceful, orderly, well-behaved protests of the last 55 years?

History is the answer. 

• Like 1

Just saw the victim's mother being interviewed by Lester Holt, what a wondrous example of grace.

To paraphrase, "rioting and burning down the city won't bring my son back, let there be peace."

My opinion, it will sow further distrust between minorities and LE.

Harsh reminder for me to continue to stay under the radar and do nothing to attract the attention of any LE.

Lord, please extend your hand to heal and to perform signs and wonders through the holy, precious and powerful name of your obedient servant Jesus.

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1