5 Memphis cops fired after suspect killed

AuEagle

• Admin Team
8 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Most things worth doing aren't easy.  An incoming chief will have to fix this the old-fashioned way:  hard work.

For sure.

Part of having nice things is having the will to have nice things - and then doing the work it takes to get there 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

But generally in these type situations there is a lot of trying to defend officers.  People trying to point out a criminal history of the victim or finding pictures that make them look bad.  Asking to wait until we see the video and giving them the benefit of the doubt.  There just wasn’t as much of that this time.  Maybe because there wasn’t anything to find about Tyre. 

I also noticed this.

In video #4 after the cops had retrieved Nichol’s wallet at the 15:01 mark someone gives the lieutenant Nichol’s ID and states “he ain’t got no charges.” I know it’s procedure to run a check, but it seems they were hoping to find something in his past they could use against him.

Also, it’s being reported this morning that the cops went to Nichol’s home and told his mother that he had been involved in a DUI, was injured, hospitalized and would be booked after release, therefore she wouldn’t be able to see him. The photo of Nichol’s lying in the hospital bed was reportedly provided to his family. 

Sheriff Bonner claims he didn’t see the video until last night, and Chief Davis never told him two of his deputies were on scene. This whole thing stinks!  Davis may be unemployed in the very near future.

5 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

My guess is the latter.  I can’t think of a situation like this in my lifetime that has been handled the way this one has across the different parties involved. Due process will be had of course but the police, city, local news networks, etc. spared no language calling this what it is from the start.

As Crump said, this case is a blueprint for how these situations should be handled in the future. Get the information out fast if there is proof of wrongdoing. If a mayor doesn’t want riots and their cities destroyed, don’t hide the videos and the the names of the perpetrators for seven months leaving people to question your motives.  The initial transparency did a lot to save Memphis. 

• Like 5
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

I also noticed this.

In video #4 after the cops had retrieved Nichol’s wallet at the 15:01 mark someone gives the lieutenant Nichol’s ID and states “he ain’t got no charges.” I know it’s procedure to run a check, but it seems they were hoping to find something in his past they could use against him.

Also, it’s being reported this morning that the cops went to Nichol’s home and told his mother that he had been involved in a DUI, was injured, hospitalized and would be booked after release, therefore she wouldn’t be able to see him. The photo of Nichol’s lying in the hospital bed was reportedly provided to his family. 

Sheriff Bonner claims he didn’t see the video until last night, and Chief Davis never told him two of his deputies were on scene. This whole thing stinks!  Davis may be unemployed in the very near future.

As Crump said, this case is a blueprint for how these situations should be handled in the future. Get the information out fast if there is proof of wrongdoing. If a mayor doesn’t want riots and their cities destroyed, don’t hide the videos and the the names of the perpetrators for seven months leaving people to question your motives.  The initial transparency did a lot to save Memphis. 

I’ve been spending time on social media telling both left and right wingers to sit the eff down regarding the handling of this. The lack of mass rioting we’ve seen is partially due to the handling of the administration in calling things out for what they are and being honest with the public. 

I would also attribute a significant amount of the reason for peace to the people of this city who are legitimately seeking for a better home. For all the crap going on, there are many more good folks than bad there no matter what the rest of the state believes. 

• Like 5

Policing is hard and these days thankless. Recruiting and retaining good people must be almost impossible thanks to the defund the police crowd, BLM and the rest. Cops know that no one has your back if an altercation unintentionally goes bad. The street criminals are emboldened knowing this. You could not pay me enough to stick my neck out being a cop these days in this political climate. Saying all that, what type of folks are now in uniform in some of these troubled cities?

The fact that FIVE uniformed officers happened upon this unlucky guy leads me to believe there are many more bad apples in this department.  Five bad cops on the same stop just a coincedence? I'm a guy who errs on the side of cops or at least strives to see their point of view until evidence proves otherwise but...... These animals were abusive and intimidating from the start, no attempt to diffuse or calm.  Later they had many multiple chances to easily overpower and cuff this guy, (Even if he was struggling a bit) with all 5 of them but instead chose to kick and beat him instead. As far as reaching for the cops gun? At that point I sure would have tried! I'm guessing the cop is lying about the gun anyway.

Final point. The Chief should resign and the Dept. investigated on hiring practices and every current officer given a second look. 

• Like 4
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Good.

And, notice how quickly they’re trying to separate themselves from all of this.  I’m glad they’re disbanding it - but that doesn’t excuse it.  And, there needs to be a thorough inquiry into the training, tactics, and decision making process before this can be resolved.

If you don’t learn from it - you’re going to repeat it. 

• Like 4
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Policing is hard and these days thankless. Recruiting and retaining good people must be almost impossible thanks to the defund the police crowd, BLM and the rest. Cops know that no one has your back if an altercation unintentionally goes bad. The street criminals are emboldened knowing this. You could not pay me enough to stick my neck out being a cop these days in this political climate. Saying all that, what type of folks are now in uniform in some of these troubled cities?

The fact that FIVE uniformed officers happened upon this unlucky guy leads me to believe there are many more bad apples in this department.  Five bad cops on the same stop just a coincedence? I'm a guy who errs on the side of cops or at least strives to see their point of view until evidence proves otherwise but...... These animals were abusive and intimidating from the start, no attempt to diffuse or calm.  Later they had many multiple chances to easily overpower and cuff this guy, (Even if he was struggling a bit) with all 5 of them but instead chose to kick and beat him instead. As far as reaching for the cops gun? At that point I sure would have tried! I'm guessing the cop is lying about the gun anyway.

Final point. The Chief should resign and the Dept. investigated on hiring practices and every current officer given a second look. 

We used to have a training officer on here.  He told me something one time that’s stuck with me for a lot of years.  He said that on any given force there is about 10% of the population that will always do the right thing regardless of personal cost.  These officers are rare - and we want more of them.  On any given force there is a smaller percentage - about 5% that will do the wrong thing and abuse their power any time they can get away with it. They’re a poison and we clearly want fewer of them.

Neither of those groups are actually the problem though.  It’s the other 85%.

What’s their behavior like? They’re going to mimic whoever they happen to be with. If they happen to be with one of the “bad apples” they’re more likely than not going to go along and maybe join in.

That’s where the phrase “bad apples” gets its meaning.  Put a bad apple in a barrel full of good apples and the gas it gives off will quickly spoil the rest.  Same for officers.

We can’t just focus on the bad ones and pretend like that’s good enough.  Because if they’ve been there long enough - they’ve literally spoiled the whole department.

incidentally we have data on this.  In any given organization of 100 people it takes two people to ruin the whole culture.  That toxicity is never fun - but it’s one thing when it’s Brenda in accounting.  Your job sucks and maybe you should polish up your resume.

But when it’s a police department it’s literally a life or death problem.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Links2k said:

As far as I understand it, officers must be able to articulate felony charges any time they involve themselves in or initiate a chase.  That’s what that statement was about.  

in the same video, one of the officers says he only saw Tyre because he stopped to wipe his face.  He was so close to home.  That hurt as much as anything.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Some things are more important than improving hiring practices.  

https://wreg.com/news/memphis-city-council-overrides-mayors-veto-keeps-police-residency-referendum-off-ballots/

MPD has been a mess for at least 30 years. Back in the 1990s I was a Boy Scout Leader. We had two very active Troop Dads, both of whom were MPD officers. Both had about 10 years on the job. Both were looking for a way out of Patrol Division. One was a Lieutenant who got himself a position supervising the Reserve Unit. The other got himself transferred to K-9s. 

They both gave the same reason. They said the the new officers Memphis was hiring at that time were just plain stupid.  They were a danger to themselves and others. These Dads just didn't want to be out on the streets with them. Remember, this was 30 years ago. The situation has not improved since. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

MPD has been a mess for at least 30 years. 

You’re shortchanging them. They’ve always been a mess their entire history regardless who you know that worked for them. Like you, every cop I know is a “good cop.” That being said, I’ve never known the MPD to be a good department. 

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:
  • Like 1

GIVE ME YOUR HANDS!!!!

We train our animals to listen to our commands, I don't understand why we don't teach our children to do the same. I do not condone the actions of the police but if he would've complied he'd be alive.... and I watched majority of the footage.  Good thing there weren't any white police involved or there'd be cities burning all over America

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
15 minutes ago, CaneyRiverDog said:

GIVE ME YOUR HANDS!!!!

We train our animals to listen to our commands, I don't understand why we don't teach our children to do the same. I do not condone the actions of the police but if he would've complied he'd be alive.... and I watched majority of the footage.  Good thing there weren't any white police involved or there'd be cities burning all over America

You might want to stop equivocating people with animals and go back and watch the video…several times. 

At what point did he even have a chance to comply like a trained dog?

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I guess that was when one cop said to put his hands behind his back while another cop had him in a wrist lock. You know . . .that chance . .     :smh:

[/sarcasm]

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, CaneyRiverDog said:

GIVE ME YOUR HANDS!!!!

Yeah, compliance always works  just ask Daniel Shaver  

XcHOc5G.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

You might want to stop equivocating people with animals and go back and watch the video…several times. 

No need to watch it again... he shouldve complied before he ever ran off the first time. Thats my opinion, kids now a days dont have respect, dont think they have to listen to authority,  and this is the price thats paid. As I said he didnt deserve to be killed BUT if he would of followed command hed be here today..

• Dislike 1
24 minutes ago, CaneyRiverDog said:

No need to watch it again... he shouldve complied before he ever ran off the first time. Thats my opinion, kids now a days dont have respect, dont think they have to listen to authority,  and this is the price thats paid. As I said he didnt deserve to be killed BUT if he would of followed command hed be here today..

I believe you missed the part of the videos where he wasn’t afforded the opportunity to comply.  He was told to get out of the car while simultaneously being violently removed by the former officer.  One was holding an arm under his body while he was told to roll onto his stomach.   Much like Shaver, the commands were either impossible to follow physically or countered other commands from others on the scene.

Unrelated

In the video after the second beating, an officer can be heard saying he has Tyre on video almost running into his squad car and driving down the wrong side of the road.  Where is that video?   If that’s the case, I suppose we will see it in court.  

46 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

In the video after the second beating, an officer can be heard saying he has Tyre on video almost running into his squad car and driving down the wrong side of the road.  Where is that video?   If that’s the case, I suppose we will see it in court.  

If there is video of his reckless driving we may see it in court. I know that area well and there are several cameras all over the place. 

They were headed west on E. Raines Rd during the initial stop and had to come off of Riverdale Rd. City cameras on Riverdale would have been at the intersections of Hwy385, Winchester Rd and on E. Shelby Drive. There are multiple gas stations, businesses, two city offices, a fire station and a large church which would have had cameras at those intersections.  

If Nichols was coming from Shelby Farms he probably came down S. Germantown Rd to Winchester, then on to Riverdale to Raines heading home. There are again multiple cameras from Shelby Farms thru Germantown down to Winchester Rd that has cameras and businesses everywhere. If Nichols was driving recklessly in any of these areas, it will be recorded somewhere. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I believe you missed the part of the videos where he wasn’t afforded the opportunity to comply.  He was told to get out of the car while simultaneously being violently removed by the former officer.  One was holding an arm under his body while he was told to roll onto his stomach.   Much like Shaver, the commands were either impossible to follow physically or countered other commands from others on the scene.

Unrelated

I didnt see any video of him being in the car. He was already out of the car at the beginning of the what I watched.

8 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I was wondering the same thing.  CJ Davis said there was no probable cause to stop him - wouldn't dash cams confirm or repudiate this?  I guess they saved that for the inevitable courtroom karate.  

It looks like one of the arrested has hired Blake Ballin.  I figured Farese and/or a Ballin would show up.  Gonna be interesting.  

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

It looks like one of the arrested has hired Blake Ballin.  I figured Farese and/or a Ballin would show up.  Gonna be interesting.  

Is he a high dollar Attorney? Makes you wonder how he could afford him. I was thinking that I would hate to be the public defender assigned to one of these defendants. 

19 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Is he a high dollar Attorney? Makes you wonder how he could afford him. I was thinking that I would hate to be the public defender assigned to one of these defendants. 

Yes and the Ballins are Olympic gold medalists at muddying the water (which is their job).  I also wonder how these high-power defenses are funded (not just in this case).