5 Memphis cops fired after suspect killed

AuEagle

• Admin Team
16 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Yes and the Ballins are Olympic gold medalists at muddying the water (which is their job).  I also wonder how these high-power defenses are funded (not just in this case).  

They’re funded by the police union. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Does the union have an obligation to help them or is it a choice? 

If your seen as not backing your employees, you’ll have a rough time replacing them.

Remember Vanderbilt throwing that nurse under the bus a year or so back? They’ve been severely understaffed since. Nobody wants to work for someone that doesn’t have their back.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 6
  • Admin Team
27 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Does the union have an obligation to help them or is it a choice? 

Defense is certainly a defined benefit of a union membership.

There’s also certainly an exception for cases that have fraud or intent - but in practice they’re still going to mount a defense.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

They’re funded by the police union. 

I was referring to police and non-police related cases.  

It's now pretty much impossible for any of them to get an impartial jury.  Steve Farese may take their cases pro-bono because sometimes, that's just how he rolls.  

If I tickle my grandson while asking him to be still, he will not comply with my verbal commands no matter how many times I demand him to do so.  So, how on God's green Earth could anyone expect a grown man to put his hands behind his back while he's being punched and kicked. EVERYONE will involuntarily guard their torso/face instead of exposing themselves to further pain. Saying Tyre Nichols would still be alive if he hadn't resisted isn't accurate in this case anyway, these cops intended to beat his @$$ from the beginning.

• Like 10
1 minute ago, BigK said:

If I tickle my grandson while asking him to be still, he will not comply with my verbal commands no matter how many times I demand him to do so.  So, how on God's green Earth could anyone expect a grown man to put his hands behind his back while he's being punched and kicked. EVERYONE will involuntarily guard their torso/face instead of exposing themselves to further pain. Saying Tyre Nichols would still be alive if he hadn't resisted isn't accurate in this case anyway, these cops intended to beat his @$$ from the beginning.

Certainly seemed like they did. 

• Like 1

A 6th officer has been relieved of duty and is under investigation.

Officer Preston Hemphill has been relieved of duty during an ongoing investigation and was relieved at the beginning of their internal investigation Jan. 8 into the circumstances which eventually led to Nichols' death.

Hemphill was shown on video during MPD's initial confrontation with Nichols, pulling him from his car forcefully while hitting him on the ground with a Taser, later stating, "I hope they stomp his a**" after Nichols escaped.

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/crime/sixth-memphis-police-officer-tyre-nichols-death-relieved-of-duty/522-24da4839-7397-4536-8ac4-0c62e915367f

I used to be a big fan of cops. Donated money when they called.  Not any more. My experience with them was bad.  I had a detective that was determined to ruin my life because I had and attorney and refused to talk to her without him there. Good thing for me my reputation was to much to over come for her.  I have a real problem with them being allowed to lie to the very people they are supposed to work for.  More and more vids are coming out about how they treat people, bully many and lie almost all the time.  I think they are counting on people not knowing the laws or their rights and just assume what they say is true.  I believe there needs to be reform in a way that holds people with that much power accountable.  These guys getting fired and charged with murder is a good start but a long way to go.  

• Like 4
On 1/28/2023 at 9:34 PM, CaneyRiverDog said:

GIVE ME YOUR HANDS!!!!

We train our animals to listen to our commands, I don't understand why we don't teach our children to do the same. I do not condone the actions of the police but if he would've complied he'd be alive.... and I watched majority of the footage.  Good thing there weren't any white police involved or there'd be cities burning all over America

I agree about the white police not being involved, but cops should not be giving unlawful commands.  I guess comply give up your rights and live another day.

2 hours ago, Defender said:

Rumors abound.  I heard one that said Tyre was sleeping with one of the officer’s  wife and he was targeted for a beat down.

Yes indeed rumors do abound. I heard one that says at least two of those cops are members of the Vice Lords and it was the gang that ordered the beating. 🙄

Don't believe anything until it can be proven in court.  😉

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

CBS evening news says V.P. Harris is coming to the funeral tomorrow. Al Sharpton is delivering  the eulogy. 

The politicos are coming out of the woodwork to grab their 15 minutes.  💩

That promises to be an event to remember.🤮

I hope there’s a special place in hell for folks who see fit to capitalize on another’s misfortune.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

CBS evening news says V.P. Harris is coming to the funeral tomorrow.

They’re not going to let her speak are they?  

Memphis seems to have handled this situation incredibly well and is a testament to the city and its people.  Last thing they need is the master of word salad and cackling carrying on about who knows what.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Garufa said:

They’re not going to let her speak are they?  

Memphis seems to have handled this situation incredibly well and is a testament to the city and its people.  Last thing they need is the master of word salad and cackling carrying on about who knows what.

If funeral goers had to take a shot every time that woman says something stupid or starts cackling, there'd be more drunks than an Irish wake.

• Like 2

Right now I'm kinda wondering if the funeral will happen tomorrow.

For those who may not know, there's a huge ice storm covering West Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas. Memphis has got a 1/2" sheet of ice on all the streets and its plumb dangerous out there. I'm thinking they may have to postpone. ❓

• Like 1

I actually watched the funeral. It was carried live on 5 of the local TV stations. It was quite a show. A production worthy of a major Hollywood studio. Much more of a Civil Rights/Political rally than a funeral. Lots of speeches about how bad the police are and how bad they treat black people. Lots of pushing for the George Floyd Policing Act that's tied up in congress. Poor Tyre seemed to get lost in the shuffle. 

As for the V.P.... Al Sharpton was recognizing all the dignitaries in the crowd. When he got to Harris there was a big applause. Al then made a show of inviting the V.P up to the podium for a few impromptu  remarks. When Harris walked up on stage, she pulled out a pre-written speech and read it. Tell me that wasn't planned in advance. 

Frankly, I feel Tyre was done a disservice. All these people using his funeral to push their own political agendas rather than focusing on honoring the life of this young man. 

• Like 1