My 1st 1911 9mm or 45acp

DUKETN

I come from the era when  glocks were starting to be accepted and those who refused a plastic gun stuck with the revolver.. That being said i denied myself from ever buying or learning about 1911's.   I am not recoil sensitive but do not have 45 acp laying around. 9mm i do..  Do you guys know a good choice for a 1st 1911.  Is the 9mm as reliable as 45acp in the 1911 design.  I got about a 1800 budget to work with In a few weeks and really want to make a good choice....The only reason i prefer 9mm if reliable models are out there is due to my on hand supply....If 45acp has more options better choice then so be it...  Thank Y'all. !!!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DUKETN said:

Is there a significant difference when it comes to reliability  between the 1911 in 45acp or 9mm.    I know it may seem silly to ask  but when i was growing up that was a heated topic lol.

Before 9mm increased in use, 45acp was more reliable in a 1911.  Improvements in ammo and the 1911 have made 9mm a very reliable round.  I haven't had a problem in the several 9mm 1911 pistols I have.

• Like 3

I have several of both calibers. . For your budget, I'd consider a Dan Wesson. Very well made, especially for the price. Either caliber but I have to say that 9mm is a hoot to shoot in a 1911. DW makes all steel versions, as well as aluminum frame models.

Another favorite of mine is the Springfield EMP 9mm. They took the 1911 and basically shrunk it down a bit for the 9mm cartridge. So its not a big 1911 frame chambered in 9mm, it was designed just for the 9mm.

• Like 1

Hold up there Bubba!  Your first 1911 MUST be in .45acp. Further, it should be a basic G.I. style pistol. Otherwise you'll be cheating yourself out of the  1911 experience. Know where it all started and you'll be amazed as to where it can go from there. 😉

I think a good starting point is the Rock Island G.I. model. A really good, reliable pistol at a good price. It will be your first, but it won't be your last. You can move up from there with a much better idea of what you want the final result to be. 😉

I own a bunch of 1911s. Most are .45acp. A few are in the other original caliber, .38 Super. I only own one in 9mm and all I can say for that is meh! Ain't what I thought it should be.  I shot it a couple of times and its sat in the safe ever since. Wish I had never bought it. 🙄

IMHO 9mm 1911s are for wimps who can't handle a real gun. 😛

If you want a 1911-ish gun in 9mm, go with a Hi-Power. Now that's the perfect 9mm  SA pistol. 😃

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Hold up there Bubba!  Your first 1911 MUST be in .45acp. Further, it should be a basic G.I. style pistol. Otherwise you'll be cheating yourself out of the  1911 experience. Know where it all started and you'll be amazed as to where it can go from there. 😉

I think a good starting point is the Rock Island G.I. model. A really good, reliable pistol at a good price. It will be your first, but it won't be your last. You can move up from there with a much better idea of what you want the final result to be. 😉

I own a bunch of 1911s. Most are .45acp. A few are in the other original caliber, .38 Super. I only own one in 9mm and all I can say for that is meh! Ain't what I thought it should be.  I shot it a couple of times and its sat in the safe ever since. Wish I had never bought it. 🙄

If you want a 1911-ish gun in 9mm, go with a Hi-Power. Now that's the perfect 9mm  SA pistol. 😃

Grayfox beat me to it......................

I gotta say the HI Power is amazing in the hand.. the only other handgun i ever held that felt so natural is the CZ-75.    I have a feeling that the 1911 will give me the same impression.... 30 yrs with a Glock I forgot the joys of what our Ancestors give us 😁

2 hours ago, tnhawk said:

Before 9mm increased in use, 45acp was more reliable in a 1911.  Improvements in ammo and the 1911 have made 9mm a very reliable round.  I haven't had a problem in the several 9mm 1911 pistols I have.

Nor have I had any feeding problems in 3 I have-

1 in the Ultra and 2 in the Commander-all good

• Like 1

Regardless of what same 😒 I really like a 9mm 1911. I use mine as a house gun and it is shot a lot at the range. You can shoot a lot longer with 9mm then most calibers for less cost. I do have a 38 super that is a blast to shoot but ammo is hard to come by. 
check out the Rock Island. Very nice pistol for the price. I have the GI model and the Rock ultra which is my favorite 

• Like 1

If it were me and I'm thinking of purchasing my first 1911. My suggestion is if this is your first experience with a 1911 you should read up on how everything works on them. It does take some dedication to operate and carry it safely. I've been carrying a 1911 style handgun for over 30+ years. Either caliber is a good choise, look at Springfield Army, Dan Wesson. What's your budget for one thing. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys !!   I feel alot more confident in getting a 1911..  I most likely won't use it as my carry gun.. I have carried and trained with Glock for alot of years.  But i do want to expand my horizons and knowing a faithful crowd of 1911 fans will still be glad to offer help and and advice  speaks highly of your class...  Thanks Again.  When i bite the bullet  I will post a pic 😁

I can get a Good Deal on a Dan Wesson.    Its in 45acp. But He might get 9mm in soon..  I would like 45acp. But with ammo cost and having plenty of 9mm on hand...I may wait for the 9mm to come in ....  Bet i  end up getting both 😁  1800 budget gives me alot of options..  I will save up a couple of months and get the other later. ALOT of people have told me Dan Wesson is prime pick Colt has run really close behind... 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Your first must be a 45. 230 grain vs 115 grain. After seeing a tweeker shot 4 times with a 9mm and still on his feet. 1 shot with the 45 and he was flat on his back. The 45 wins every time. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering if there is an indoor shooting range with-in driving distance . Maybe they would let you shoot a 45 auto or perhaps you could meet a fellow enthusiast there & find out how much you enjoy a 9mm or whatever in a 1911 frame. I got one of my 9's (used) from some one that way. 

• Like 1

get both if you can. I would start our with a rock island or anything armscore .45 to start out with. They also make great 9mm's too. Then if you like the platform, you can move up to the higher end ones. I love my dan wesson as much as my kimber